Re: D3/D2 scratch racing

  • brandonkay2002 <brandonkay2002@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
      Brent, exactly the way I feel. Thats my main thing is not being able
      to set up for the corner or maybe be quite as aggressive as I need to
      be. Being a first year rider, it does'nt always come naturally
      throwing a bike sideways at speed going into a corner, especially if
      forced to thread threw slower traffic. I believe it's the same as
      when I raced mx. I always made the most progress when I was behind a
      faster rider, trying to keep up. I do believe that handicap racing
      does have a place, just not every race, especially towards the end of
      the race season.
      Badger 9

      --- In speedwaybikes@yahoogroups.com, Brent Smith <bent103@e...>
      wrote:
      > It seems that handicap racing in D2/D3 restricts riders in more
      than one way.
      > A fast rider coming up on a slower rider (or that is already behind
      him) has a hell
      > of a time setting up for the corner not to mention passing. Forget
      about the outside, going
      > around a less experienced rider will often (most of the time) cause
      the rider being passed
      > to loose concentration or focus and straighten up & run wide or go
      down. This forces a
      > ride the pole follow the leader type of racing. This doesn't give
      the much needed experience
      > that is needed. A slower rider following a fast rider will almost
      always make him faster, giving
      > him the skills needed to advance and allowing riders at or about
      the same skill level to compete
      > safely. It so often seems the D2/D3 handicap races (especially the
      mains) are just about
      > survival and not about racing. Its almost impossible to ride your
      own race unless you have
      > no regard for your own safety or the safety of others,
      unintentional contact is unavoidable
      > but when you have to start pushing people out of the way to get by
      (or end up in D3 again
      > next week) someone will end up hurt. Usually me.
      >
      > Wow! I feel better now. :^)
      >
      > Happy New Year
      >
      > weslakerudy@n... wrote:
      >
      > > THIS IS JUST MY OPINION:
      > >
      > > GENERALLY, scratch racing shows how fast you are to the first
      turn in D2/D3 while the rest fend with each other. I feel handicap
      racing in D2/D3 is a real showcase of future riding talent. It shows
      that the rider can pass and move through a pack. Can you imagine a
      rider always winning the race to the
      > > first turn all the time and then putting him/her in D1 where they
      are in
      > > close proximity to each other the whole race ! You think you saw
      alot
      > > of emails regarding that wild kid Ryan Fisher, I could see the
      emails
      > > now.
      > >
      > > Rudy
      > >
      > > "Chip <damonchip@y...>" <damonchip@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > ><b>"You can't penalize someone for natural talent just because
      > > >they win all of the time."</b>
      > > >
      > > >Oh but it is done. Handicap racing week in and week out in the
      > > >Support classes does just that. Handicap racing is OK for
      Division 1
      > > >and the top D-2 riders but not for D-3 and D-2 every week. If
      they
      > > >run Scratch racing you would be able to better make a decision
      on who
      > > >to move up to the next level.
      > > >
      > > >Damon

      > > The NEW Netscape 7.0 browser is now available. Upgrade now!
      > >
      > > Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Mail account today at
      http://webmail.netscape.com/

      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Brent Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
        Especially when track time is so limited. Its difficult when you only get 8
        or 10 laps a week and more than half of those laps are spent avoiding
        other riders & not spent racing against them.

      • sideways1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
          Well, It think you guys pretty much summed it up. Must be why my bike has been sitting in the corner of the garage for 2 seasons. That and a few other reasons, that I am sure someone else has brought up at one time or another before. I am going to try to race SB this year, though Wed. nights are a tough one to get to. Too bad SB does'nt move to Saturday's.

          Howard....
        • TMGracing@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
            In a message dated 1/1/03 5:19:10 PM Pacific Standard Time, sideways1@... writes:

            Well, It think you guys pretty much summed it up. Must be why my bike has been sitting in the corner of the garage for 2 seasons. That and a few other reasons, that I am sure someone else has brought up at one time or another before. I am going to try to race SB this year, though Wed. nights are a tough one to get to. Too bad SB does'nt move to Saturday's.

            Howard

                  How about bringing it out to the Winter series or keep in touch with us as we will be doing some other racing after the winter series is over.

                                                             Gary
          • sideways1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2003
              Thanks Gary, I was going to try the winter series. When I put the bike away two years ago it had a oil leak from the o-ring under the head. I must repair that and freshen it a bit and we are ready to go. I will be ready soon.

              Howard....