RE: [Speed cubing group] Re: "Officialness"

  • Terje Kristensen
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
      I'm wondering about the "lot of negative feedback" that Dave have received
      about this. There cant be too many ppl outside of this group that is too
      concerned about this, and i havent read that many in here have a problem
      with this.

      As you say, eventually someone will get a lucky solve in an official
      tournament too and the official fastest solve will go below 10 sec. It's
      just a question of time.

      Terje

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
        I guess I do see some of their concern in having too many events and thus diffusing the
        "hype" about the Rubik's cube... I am beginning to believe that the idea of the record for
        "fastest solve" is flawed. As you all have mentioned, if the record is broken with a lucky
        solve and set at something ridiculous such as 8 seconds, the record becomes
        meaningless. Perhaps the RCC would consider changing their idea of the record to the
        average.

        The Rubik's Cube record is unlike other sporting events. There isn't really a lucky "100
        meter dash". How fast you can run that race is determined by your physical body as well
        as your mental concentration.

        I understand that pressure is a large factor in an international competition... but is it really
        fair to consider pressure as to determine a record? It could also be argued that pressure
        provides an advantageous andrenaline rush or something... I don't know.

        Well, the April 3rd competition will most certainly go on. The July 10 summer
        championships is still on... even if we aren't allowed to break world records, there's no
        reason why speedcubing.com can't have a record category for unofficial official
        tournament records and such. Hopefully we can get some more concrete answers for the
        July 10 tournament.

        Does anyone know if the French competition is official?

        -Tyson

        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Terje Kristensen"

      • Duncan Dicks
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
          Not sure who if anyone has considered what the set of records should be in
          speedcubing. I absolutely agree that the event shouldnt matter so long as
          there is an offical presence to ratify the times. To lose sight of the
          fastest ever solve in official competition would be a shame but clearly a
          fastest average is a better indication. Its the difference between Bob
          Beamon's long jump record and having Carl Lewis jump a consistent series for
          example (ok not a good example as long jumping doesn't keep track of the
          best series).

          I noticed during the discussion about notation that someone pointed out the
          problem of trying to determine anything through such a wide variety of
          parties and that some sort of official body/committtee would be better. I
          would say that this is a similar issue. A list of official world records or
          potential world records approved by such a body would make sense - it
          doesn't have to be set it stone, it can always be reviewed.

          Duncan

          > I guess I do see some of their concern in having too many events and thus
          diffusing the
          > "hype" about the Rubik's cube... I am beginning to believe that the idea
          of the record for
          > "fastest solve" is flawed. As you all have mentioned, if the record is
          broken with a lucky
          > solve and set at something ridiculous such as 8 seconds, the record
          becomes
          > meaningless. Perhaps the RCC would consider changing their idea of the
          record to the
          > average.
          >
          > The Rubik's Cube record is unlike other sporting events. There isn't
          really a lucky "100
          > meter dash". How fast you can run that race is determined by your
          physical body as well
          > as your mental concentration.
          >
          > I understand that pressure is a large factor in an international
          competition... but is it really
          > fair to consider pressure as to determine a record? It could also be
          argued that pressure
          > provides an advantageous andrenaline rush or something... I don't know.
          >
          > Well, the April 3rd competition will most certainly go on. The July 10
          summer
          > championships is still on... even if we aren't allowed to break world
          records, there's no
          > reason why speedcubing.com can't have a record category for unofficial
          official
          > tournament records and such. Hopefully we can get some more concrete
          answers for the
          > July 10 tournament.
          >
          > Does anyone know if the French competition is official?
          >
          > -Tyson
          >
          > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Terje Kristensen"
          > <terje.kristensen@w...> wrote:
          > > I'm wondering about the "lot of negative feedback" that Dave have
          received
          > > about this. There cant be too many ppl outside of this group that is too
          > > concerned about this, and i havent read that many in here have a problem
          > > with this.
          > >
          > > As you say, eventually someone will get a lucky solve in an official
          > > tournament too and the official fastest solve will go below 10 sec. It's
          > > just a question of time.
          > >
          > > Terje

        • adam_s_
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
            A record should be based on whether the rules for the record are met,
            not where the record attempt is made.

            In many sports that are based on performance time, competitors
            wanting to make a record attempt often hand-pick where they will to
            compete. And they usually don't pick world competitions for those
            attempts; in fact, it's well known that the Olympics is not a great
            place for trying to set world records. But as far as I know there's
            no sport where rules specify that records can only be set at the
            Olympics!

            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, tmao@i... wrote:
            > I've been hit... I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen right
            now but there will be
            > impacts on the summer tournament and any tournament that Chris
            decides to hold. Read
            > below... we're working it out right now.
            >
            > Hi Tyson
            > I have had quite a lot of negative feedback from people who don't
            think that
            > a local event should be allowed to break the records - the pressure
            of a
            > local event being much less than a world or national event.
            > Not sure what to suggest but think that the record if it gets
            broken can
            > still be submitted as a new record to rubiks.com, speedcubing.com
            and
            > Guinness but the "official" fastest time and "official" record
            remain until
            > beaten at National or International level ?
            > Thoughts ?
            > Dave
          • d_j_salvia
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
              Hi Tyson,

              If someone feels less pressure at a local and can actually solve
              closer to their ability, I say go for it. If pressure is the issue
              that is, more pressure at the Worlds, less at the locals, then I would
              think that we should encourage less-pressure events so that shy people
              get a fair crack at the records.

              But some people may feel more pressure in a local tourney because
              they're performing in front of their friends and family. Or it may be
              the other way around and a competitor at a local event might not feel
              pushed to do his or her absolute best because there is less competition.

              I think that while some people have a hard time under pressure,
              some people don't, and others actually thrive under pressure. Having
              local, national, and world events allows for all a more even-handed
              chance at records.

              If times are not official the participants may feel let down. I was
              disappointed that Macky got no credit officially in January.

              Personally I think that the April 3 tourney should be official if
              only to give Macky another crack at the records.

              Regards,

              David J

              --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, tmao@i... wrote:
              > I've been hit... I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen right
              now but there will be
              > impacts on the summer tournament and any tournament that Chris
              decides to hold. Read
              > below... we're working it out right now.
              >
              > Hi Tyson
              > I have had quite a lot of negative feedback from people who don't
              think that
              > a local event should be allowed to break the records - the pressure of a
              > local event being much less than a world or national event.
              > Not sure what to suggest but think that the record if it gets broken can
              > still be submitted as a new record to rubiks.com, speedcubing.com and
              > Guinness but the "official" fastest time and "official" record
              remain until
              > beaten at National or International level ?
              > Thoughts ?
              > Dave
            • d_j_salvia
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
                Hi Dave, Tyson,

                Dve wrote, > > > I have had quite a lot of negative feedback from
                people who don't think that a local event should be allowed to break
                the records - the pressure of a local event being much less than a
                world or national event.<

                I just realised you guys know this is nonsense and that this is an
                April Fools joke!

                Very Good. LOL

                DJ

                > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, tmao@i... wrote:
                > > I've been hit... I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen right
                > now but there will be
                > > impacts on the summer tournament and any tournament that Chris
                > decides to hold. Read
                > > below... we're working it out right now.
                > >
                > > Hi Tyson
                > > I have had quite a lot of negative feedback from people who don't
                > think that
                > > a local event should be allowed to break the records - the
                pressure of a
                > > local event being much less than a world or national event.
                > > Not sure what to suggest but think that the record if it gets
                broken can
                > > still be submitted as a new record to rubiks.com, speedcubing.com and
                > > Guinness but the "official" fastest time and "official" record
                > remain until
                > > beaten at National or International level ?
                > > Thoughts ?
                > > Dave
              • nviennefr
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                  Hello all,

                  I guess records at the french championship will be officialised, but
                  i'm not sure ... (The scramble of cubes ,about 40 moves, will not be
                  the same for all competitors ... hum hum ...).
                  Normally we will use timer pad.
                  About the question of officialness i think the number of cubes
                  realised are crutial. More you have cube to do , more you have
                  chance to do good times or have a luky configuration. For exemple
                  at caltech tourmament there are 2 rounds before final so there are
                  3+3+5 cubes realised (i guess) . For the french championship only 5
                  cubes will be done !

                  nico.