Re: Beginner method

  • David Sadler
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
      Thats a really good explanation and the instructions are really
      clear. It's the method i used to begin with.
    • Jessica Fridrich
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
        Jasmine,

        thank you for putting up this wonderful page. I receive a lot of
        requests from people asking for a good beginners' solution and I am
        always unsure as to where to send them. Now I know - to your page! :)
        I will update my links and put a link to my solution.

        Jessica

      • tmao@its.caltech.edu
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
          Wow, that's great! I've been meaning to do that for some time but my school is very
          academically unforgiving. That's basically the same method I teach people except I have
          them orient the corners before permuting the corners. I do this because it's not only
          "easier to see" but also more "Fridrich" so everything is oriented first.

          Yeah, that's really a nice page. How did you make the pictures for the cube? Instead of a
          webpage, over winter break I made a CD with video clips using a digital camera.
          Unfortunately it's about 500 MB large... not quite as easily accessible as the webpage.

          Again, you're awesome!

          -Tyson

          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Jessica Fridrich" <Jess340@h...>
          wrote:
          > Jasmine,
          >
          > thank you for putting up this wonderful page. I receive a lot of
          > requests from people asking for a good beginners' solution and I am
          > always unsure as to where to send them. Now I know - to your page! :)
          > I will update my links and put a link to my solution.
          >
          > Jessica
          >
          > > I've created a webpage for the beginner method I've been teaching
          > > friends recently. It was originally a Word doc, but I thought it
          > > might be useful for others, so I turned it into a webpage.
          > >
          > > From what I've seen, there are lots of sites that explain advanced
          > > methods, but very few that explain beginner methods, which is why
          > > wrote this doc. So, here it is...
          > >
          > > http://www.geocities.com/jasmine_ellen/RubiksCubeSolution.html
          > >
          > > Jasmine.
        • jasmine_ellen
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
            Oops! Typo in my code... thanks for pointing that out. I've just
            fixed it. :)

            Jasmine.

            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "c_w_tsai"
            <c_w_tsai@y...> wrote:
            > Nice...
            >
            > In OLLE, you used the same picture for states 3 and 4.
            > Also for OLLC, states 1 and 2.
            >
            > Anyway, very nice looking.

            > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, jasmine_ellen
            > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > I've created a webpage for the beginner method I've been teaching
            > > friends recently. It was originally a Word doc, but I thought it
            > > might be useful for others, so I turned it into a webpage.
            > >
            > > From what I've seen, there are lots of sites that explain
            > > methods, but very few that explain beginner methods, which is why
            > > wrote this doc. So, here it is...
            > >
            > > http://www.geocities.com/jasmine_ellen/RubiksCubeSolution.html
            > >
            > > Jasmine.
          • jasmine_ellen
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
              Thanks Jessica! :) And thanks to everyone else for their positive
              feedback (and for picking up the spots where I'd accidentally
              inserted the wrong pic!). :)

              Jasmine.

              <Jess340@h...> wrote:
              > Jasmine,
              >
              > thank you for putting up this wonderful page. I receive a lot of
              > requests from people asking for a good beginners' solution and I am
              > always unsure as to where to send them. Now I know - to your
              page! :)
              > I will update my links and put a link to my solution.
              >
              > Jessica
              >
              > > I've created a webpage for the beginner method I've been teaching
              > > friends recently. It was originally a Word doc, but I thought it
              > > might be useful for others, so I turned it into a webpage.
              > >
              > > From what I've seen, there are lots of sites that explain
              > > methods, but very few that explain beginner methods, which is why
              > > wrote this doc. So, here it is...
              > >
              > > http://www.geocities.com/jasmine_ellen/RubiksCubeSolution.html
              > >
              > > Jasmine.
            • Per Kristen Fredlund
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
                Hey Jasmine!

                That's a pretty neat page. But then again most girls make neater web
                sites than most guys ... ;-)

                The method u describe is pretty much like my current "speed" method.
                I use some more advanced 3-cycles for the middle layer. And for the
                last layer i do corners first, then the edges. 4 looks altogether.
                And with that method i can do 30 secs avg when i make my cubing flow
                well :-)

                Just a suggestion which will make ur page a bit more user-friendly
                for some. Show ur algs with java applets ;-)

                Happy cubing!!

                --Per--

                > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, jasmine_ellen
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > I've created a webpage for the beginner method I've been teaching
                > friends recently. It was originally a Word doc, but I thought it
                > might be useful for others, so I turned it into a webpage.
                >
                > From what I've seen, there are lots of sites that explain advanced
                > methods, but very few that explain beginner methods, which is why I
                > wrote this doc. So, here it is...
                >
                > http://www.geocities.com/jasmine_ellen/RubiksCubeSolution.html
                >
                > Jasmine.
              • jasmine_ellen
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 5, 2004
                  I'm very impressed that you can average 30s with basically this
                  method. I can't get 30s with this method, in fact, I can very rarely
                  get that fast even with a 3-look LL!

                  I know there are people here who can achieve pretty fast times with a
                  method like this, but I thought it might freak out some newbie cubers
                  if I said they should be able to get to 30s with this method
                  (especially since I can't!). I wrote "60s" because I thought it
                  sounds pretty fast to a non-cuber, and it's something that should be
                  achievable without heaps and heaps of effort. I thought if I say
                  something like 30s then beginners might not believe it. Having said
                  this, I decided to amend that sentence and say '60s' but add that 30s
                  is possible.

                  As for the java applets... yeah, I thought of this too, but decided
                  to add it to the I'll-do-it-later list! ;)

                  Jasmine.

                  --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Per Kristen Fredlund"
                  <aspiring_to_love@y...> wrote:
                  > Hey Jasmine!
                  >
                  > That's a pretty neat page. But then again most girls make neater
                  web
                  > sites than most guys ... ;-)
                  >
                  > The method u describe is pretty much like my current "speed"
                  method.
                  > I use some more advanced 3-cycles for the middle layer. And for the
                  > last layer i do corners first, then the edges. 4 looks altogether.
                  > And with that method i can do 30 secs avg when i make my cubing
                  flow
                  > well :-)
                  >
                  > Just a suggestion which will make ur page a bit more user-friendly
                  > for some. Show ur algs with java applets ;-)
                  >
                  > Happy cubing!!
                  >
                  > --Per--
                  >
                  > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, jasmine_ellen
                  > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > > I've created a webpage for the beginner method I've been teaching
                  > > friends recently. It was originally a Word doc, but I thought it
                  > > might be useful for others, so I turned it into a webpage.
                  > >
                  > > From what I've seen, there are lots of sites that explain
                  > > methods, but very few that explain beginner methods, which is why
                  > > wrote this doc. So, here it is...
                  > >
                  > > http://www.geocities.com/jasmine_ellen/RubiksCubeSolution.html
                  > >
                  > > Jasmine.
                • Per Kristen Fredlund
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 5, 2004
                    Hey Jasmine!

                    Yes with a 3 look LL you should be faster than with a 4-look LL. But
                    the time spent is not directly proportional to the number of total
                    moves for ur algs. What you need is algs that fit how u "perceive"
                    the cube so you don't spend "any" time on recognition. That way you
                    get a good flow.

                    How are you getting on with proceeding to a 2-look LL. Myself i'm too
                    lazy to learn too many algs :D So i stick to the method i've known
                    for 20+ yrs :-)

                    And also do you cube 4x4x4 or 5x5x5? Ok now i gotta now ...

                    --Per K--

                  • jasmine_ellen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 5, 2004
                      Hi Per,

                      I know I could definitely get faster times if I was better at looking
                      ahead. I occasionally get times around 30-35s, but I'm usually well
                      into the 40-45s range. I know there are people here who can do sub-
                      20s with a 3-look LL, so I *should* be able to to it much faster.

                      I'm not learning the 2-look LL yet. I reckon there's still a lot more
                      I can get out of a 3-look LL. Maybe when I can average sub-30s with
                      the 3-look LL, I'll move on to the 2-look LL. :)

                      Yeah, I also do the 4x4x4 and the 5x5x5, but not especially fast! :)