[Speed cubing group] Re: DOES ANYONE UNDERSTAND GAETAN GUIMOND'S METHOD

  • cubacca1972
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2004
      I have not timed myself recently, but I am still in the low to mid
      40 second range, so nothing to write home about yet.

      I still tend to have long pauses between algs, and still need to
      work on my edge placement.

      Nonetheless, its beginning to feel smoother.

      Lucas

      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Brent Morgan
      <brentmorganmaster@y...> wrote:
      > what are your times, Lucas?
      > bm
      > http://www.freewebs.com/brentsuniverse
    • rubiks99ca
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2004
        Curiously I upgratte my web site and my method, little bit for you,
        down page. I'm a slowly, excuse me. Soon nexth!

        Gaétan

        speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "peenokay"
        > <peenokay@y...> wrote:
        > > HE HAS IT POSTED BUT IT ISN'T SO CLEAR....HELP!
        >
        > I am currently using Guimond's method. The basic Idea is a bit
        more
        > clear (and complete) in his french page.
        >
        > The basic Idea is to solve the corners in 3 algs.
        >
        > First, get all of the corners oriented so that the U and D
        facelets
        > are on the U and D face (1 of 16 algs). For example, If you want
        > start with Red and Orange as your reference colors, you want all
        of
        > the U corners and all of the D face corners to be red or orange,
        > with any mix of red and orange on the U and D face.
        >
        > Second, separate the U and D colors, so that you have all of one
        > color on the U face, and all of the opposite color on the D face
        (1
        > of 3 algs).
        >
        > Finally , permute the corners in the U and D layers to solve the
        > corners (1 of 5 Algs). What you are looking for in this step are
        > adjacent corners in the U layer and D layer which are in the
        correct
        > position relative to each other.
        >
        > I am guessing that you are having problems with the first step.
        >
        > The basic Idea is to start off with exactly 3 U and/or D corner
        > facelets on the D face, with the odd corner parked in the DBL
        > position. For example, if you are using Red and Orange as your U
        > and D colors, then the D face corners would be red or orange in
        the
        > DFL, DFR, and DBR positions, and there would be a blue, green,
        > white, or yellow facelet in the DBL position. That DBL corner
        cubie
        > will have a Red or Orange sticker on the L face or the B face.
        >
        > Guimond's site shows the 8 U face patterns which exist when you
        have
        > the D face set up as described above, with the red or orange
        sticker
        > on the DBL corner on the L face.
        >
        > because it is possible that the DBL corner will have the
        Red/Orange
        > sticker on the B face, there are an additional 8 algs for step 1,
        > which are reflections of the first 8 U face patterns shown on
        > Guimond's site.
        >
        > Try doing the reverse of each alg on a solved cube and note the
        > initial position of the U/D sticker group on both the U and D
        faces.

        > Let me know if this helps.
        >
        > Lucas

        Service.