Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Solving the last layer: speed cubing

Expand Messages
  • akadrewe
    ... the ... it ... flips ... #3 ... which to ... all edges ... pair ... each ... opposite) ... other ... backwards (R ... level of ... I t does. Thanks.
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Grant
      Tregay" <Grant@T...> wrote:
      > --- d_j_salvia wrote:
      > > The four basic sequences are:
      > > 1. Move corners around: R U' L' U R' U' L
      > > 2. Rotate corners: R U R' U R U2 R
      > > 3. Move edges around: F2 U r U2 r' U F2
      > > 4. Flip over two edges: r U r' U2 r U r'
      >
      > --- akadrewe wrote:
      > > I assume that the orientation for those four moves is so that
      the
      > > last layer is face up?
      >
      > Yes, with a minor correction on #2 - the last R should be R', so
      it
      > should read :
      > 2. Rotate corners: R U R' U R U2 R'
      >
      > Also, #3 and #4 will probably have to be intermixed a bit. #4
      flips
      > two adjacent edges - if none are adjacent, you will need to use
      #3
      > first to put them next to each other. Also, once all edges are
      > flipped, you still need to move them around. The order in
      which to
      > use these algs would be as follows (assuming no luck - e.g.
      all edges
      > already oriented):
      > A) Apply #1 once (adjacent pair swap) or twice (diagonal/two
      pair
      > swap)
      > B) Apply #2 once (rotate 3 clockwise), twice (rotate 3 cc or 2
      each
      > way) or 3 times (rotate 1 each way)
      > C) Apply #3 if necessary (Only 2 edges need to flip and are
      opposite)
      > D) Apply #4 once (to flip 2 edges) or twice (to flip 4 edges)
      > E) Apply #3 once (to permute 3 edges clockwise) or twice (all
      other
      > cases)
      >
      > Also, if you learn to do #2 both forward (as stated) and
      backwards (R
      > U2 R' U' R U' R'), you can always orient corners with 1 or 2 algs
      > (instead of sometimes 3). Perhaps you didn't need/want this
      level of
      > detail, but here it is anyways :-P Hope it helps!
      >
      > - Grant

      I t does. Thanks. However, if you want to rotate two opposite
      corners, then you can use the "rube move" instead of 3,4,3. The
      rube move was (partially?) developed by Rubik himself and is
      thus:

      r U r U r U2 r' U r' U r' U2

      Hold the cube so that both are on top, one in the front, and one in
      the back. r is also interchangeable with r', as long as each
      instance is switched, of course. I like this move a lot. It was pretty
      easy to learn, so therefore was the first I remember memorizing
      from an outside source.

      Oh, by the way, in #1- 4, which are the cubes that are
      permutated/ orientated in relation to how one holds it?
    • d_j_salvia
      Hi Grant, Thanks for catching my goofs. :) Concerning the two piece flip over. I thought I d give a simple sequence that he d have to think about a little,
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
        Hi Grant,

        Thanks for catching my goofs. :)

        Concerning the two piece flip over. I thought I'd give a simple
        sequence that he'd have to think about a little, rather than a more
        complex all-purpose one like:
        Do R' u R2 u2 R' Which flips over the UR edge piece first, and also
        messes up the F2L a little, then turn U to any of the other edge
        pieces on the LL, then undo the messing up by doing the sequence
        backwards: R u2 R2 u R, then what ever U needed to realign the LL.

        I'm not at all sure why I switched #s 3 and 4 because I do the edge
        flipping before the placing

        Regards,

        David J


        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Grant Tregay"
        <Grant@T...> wrote:
        > --- d_j_salvia wrote:
        > > The four basic sequences are:
        > > 1. Move corners around: R U' L' U R' U' L
        > > 2. Rotate corners: R U R' U R U2 R
        > > 3. Move edges around: F2 U r U2 r' U F2
        > > 4. Flip over two edges: r U r' U2 r U r'
        >
        > --- akadrewe wrote:
        > > I assume that the orientation for those four moves is so that the
        > > last layer is face up?
        >
        > Yes, with a minor correction on #2 - the last R should be R', so it
        > should read :
        > 2. Rotate corners: R U R' U R U2 R'
        >
        > Also, #3 and #4 will probably have to be intermixed a bit. #4 flips
        > two adjacent edges - if none are adjacent, you will need to use #3
        > first to put them next to each other. Also, once all edges are
        > flipped, you still need to move them around. The order in which to
        > use these algs would be as follows (assuming no luck - e.g. all edges
        > already oriented):
        > A) Apply #1 once (adjacent pair swap) or twice (diagonal/two pair
        > swap)
        > B) Apply #2 once (rotate 3 clockwise), twice (rotate 3 cc or 2 each
        > way) or 3 times (rotate 1 each way)
        > C) Apply #3 if necessary (Only 2 edges need to flip and are opposite)
        > D) Apply #4 once (to flip 2 edges) or twice (to flip 4 edges)
        > E) Apply #3 once (to permute 3 edges clockwise) or twice (all other
        > cases)
        >
        > Also, if you learn to do #2 both forward (as stated) and backwards (R
        > U2 R' U' R U' R'), you can always orient corners with 1 or 2 algs
        > (instead of sometimes 3). Perhaps you didn't need/want this level of
        > detail, but here it is anyways :-P Hope it helps!
        >
        > - Grant
      • Grant Tregay
        ... The sequences: 1. Move corners around: R U L U R U L 2. Rotate corners: R U R U R U2 R 3. Move edges around: F2 U r U2 r U F2 4. Flip over two
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 4, 2003
          --- akadrewe wrote:
          > Oh, by the way, in #1- 4, which are the cubes that are
          > permutated/ orientated in relation to how one holds it?

          The sequences:
          1. Move corners around: R U' L' U R' U' L
          2. Rotate corners: R U R' U R U2 R'
          3. Move edges around: F2 U r U2 r' U F2
          4. Flip over two edges: r U r' U2 r U r'

          Assuming we don't care about what happens to the other pieces, which
          are affected by later steps...

          #1 Swaps UFL and UBL
          #2 Rotates UFR, UBR, and UBL clockwise
          #3 Permutes UF -> UL -> UR -> UF
          #4 Flips UB and UL and permutes UB -> UR -> UL -> UB

          - Grant
        • akadrewe
          Hey, thanks again, I ll be working on this for a while. I m still experimenting with what I want to use for now but in the meantime, my sights on Fridrich.
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 4, 2003
            Hey, thanks again, I'll be working on this for a while. I'm still
            experimenting with what I want to use for now but in the
            meantime, my sights on Fridrich. (I'll get there some day....)


            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Grant
            Tregay" <Grant@T...> wrote:
            > --- akadrewe wrote:
            > > Oh, by the way, in #1- 4, which are the cubes that are
            > > permutated/ orientated in relation to how one holds it?
            >
            > The sequences:
            > 1. Move corners around: R U' L' U R' U' L
            > 2. Rotate corners: R U R' U R U2 R'
            > 3. Move edges around: F2 U r U2 r' U F2
            > 4. Flip over two edges: r U r' U2 r U r'
            >
            > Assuming we don't care about what happens to the other
            pieces, which
            > are affected by later steps...
            >
            > #1 Swaps UFL and UBL
            > #2 Rotates UFR, UBR, and UBL clockwise
            > #3 Permutes UF -> UL -> UR -> UF
            > #4 Flips UB and UL and permutes UB -> UR -> UL -> UB
            >
            > - Grant
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.