Cubing Pains...

  • buddyleeboy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
      Ok, so I've heard numerous testimonies of the hand pains, cramps
      and injuries associated with this hobby, err... lifestyle of ours. I
      was wondering, though, what pains, specifically are commonly
      associated with cubing? I mean, I can understand why your wrists
      would ache, or if your thumb muscles cramp or whatever... but have
      any of you also experienced an almost arthritic presence in the
      joints of your fingers? I'm really hoping that this is just a normal
      side effect of cubing because I don't want to be 19 and already
      beginning to get tendonitis or arthritis. If you all could just tell
      me what kind of pains you experience on a regular basis, please do
      tell. I know about Rubik's wrist and cubist's thumb... but feel free
      to go over that too. I love cubing, but I don't want to have a
      detrimental affect the rest of my life.

      -Donnie
    • jasmine_ellen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
        People might joke about 'Rubik's wrist' but I really think it should
        be taken seriously (I think I mentioned this in a posting a while
        ago). It is totally possible to develop RSI from too much cubing and
        RSI is BAD NEWS!! I know cubing is fun and addictive but it's not
        worth your health.

        A few symptoms would include burning sensation, tingling in the
        fingers, aching (but different to the general sort of ache one might
        feel after a long day), throbbing.

        All the safety warnings that go with computer use should apply to
        cubing. I'm guessing that many of us have jobs where we use computers
        all day (I know I do), and then to spend hours cubing each day --
        it's an awful lot of strain on the wrists.

        I don't cube for hours at a time, I don't cube every single day and
        if at any point my wrists or fingers start feeling anything slightly
        abnormal I stop cubing and don't touch it again for at least 12-24
        hrs. I also have non-cube periods where I don't cube for weeks or
        even months at a time.

        I have several friends who've had serious RSI problems (not from
        cubing though) and it's really BAD NEWS. It's also made me
        particularly aware of the these sorts of problems. So, PLEASE,
        everybody -- look after your wrists and yourselves!!
      • j_rueth
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
          At first i thought cubig would be helpfulinstead of painful. Develop
          finger muscles and forearm muscles. But i ve heard many stories
          about wrists and thumbs. I havent had anything serious yet, lets
          hope it stays that way. You guys be careful too!! i want to see some
          good races at RWC!!!
          Jake
        • jasmine_ellen
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2002
            I think 'moderation' is an important concept here. Doing a bit of
            cubing probably does improve finger strength and dexterity, but it's
            possible to overdo any type of physical activity!