Someone has to be the last :-)

  • Hana M. Bizek
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30, 2003
      Hello,

      I just returned from speedcubing.com and looked at the top 10 in
      speedsolving the 3x3x3. Except the file did not stop after the 19th
      oerson, but continued to list 142 people, in order f increasing times
      (and therefore decresing chance of winning a world record). he
      slowest person clocked in at 6 minutes. Wel, I aleays maintained an
      average of 5 mninutes. Unfortunately, such a number would put me
      anead of the slowest person, so I better increase my average to 6.5
      minutes (6 minutes 30 seconds). Presto! Now I am truly the slowest.

      The pint is, that this frenzied chase after averages and timers
      rather spoils the fun, don't you think? So relax and stop worryung.
      Somebody HAS to be the slowest.:-)

      Hana a kstky
    • Richard Patterson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
        I found your post interesting, but I'd have to
        disagree with one thing in particular: "The pint is,
        that this frenzied chase after averages and timers
        rather spoils the fun, don't you think?" First of
        all, I wouldn't consider it a frenzied chase; I'd like
        to consider it as working towards a goal. Working
        toward a goal in speedcubing doesn't spoil the fun, it
        creates it! There is nothing more exhilarating than
        reaching a goal that you have set for yourself. "A
        frenzied chase" makes it sound barbaric and purely
        competetive. I'm very competetive with one person:
        Myself. And your frame of mind is what seperates you
        from speed cubists, not your times. I think someone
        who averages 3 minutes can consider themselves a
        speedcubist, depending on their attitude. Take you
        for example, your times are around 5 minutes avg.
        Everyone was there once, (or is still there) but your
        thought is "someone has to be the slowest". If you
        have accepted this frame of mind than maybe it's
        better that you only do cube art. Anyway, I'm done
        typing almost. I'm sorry if you found this reply to
        be offensive in any way, shape, or form.
        -Richard
        --- "Hana M. Bizek" <hanabizek@...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I just returned from speedcubing.com and looked at
        > the top 10 in
        > speedsolving the 3x3x3. Except the file did not stop
        > after the 19th
        > oerson, but continued to list 142 people, in order f
        > increasing times
        > (and therefore decresing chance of winning a world
        > record). he
        > slowest person clocked in at 6 minutes. Wel, I
        > aleays maintained an
        > average of 5 mninutes. Unfortunately, such a number
        > would put me
        > anead of the slowest person, so I better increase my
        > average to 6.5
        > minutes (6 minutes 30 seconds). Presto! Now I am
        > truly the slowest.
        >
        > The pint is, that this frenzied chase after averages
        > and timers
        > rather spoils the fun, don't you think? So relax and
        > stop worryung.
        > Somebody HAS to be the slowest.:-)
        >
        > Hana a kstky

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • mrcubist
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
          I would have to agree for what Richard wrote (below). I am a
          reletively slow cuber compared to other cubers. I asked the question
          once, "What times should you be getting to be cosidered a
          speedcuber?". Answers were variable. So I came up with my own
          definition for speedcuber.

          Speedcuber [speed - kyew - ber] Noun.: 1.) One who is intentionally
          solving the Rubik's cube for speed.

          What this means is, if ur tryin to solve the cube to get
          faster, then your a speedcuber. Whether it takes you 10 seconds or
          15 minutes.

          Please reply if you agree!

          ~X (Robert Smith)

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
            I agree with the definition, but I do not solve the cube for speed.
            As a cube artist using the cube as art medium, I MUST be able to
            solve it. In order to use judicious twiddling to construct patterns,
            your cube must be silved. If I went to my neighbors and qsked trhem
            to please solve the cube for me, they would tell me to get lost. It
            us also very easy to mess up the cube in the twiddling process. If
            that happens, the cube myst be re-solved.

            Make no mistake - cube artists must also be cubists. They do not have
            to be speed cubists.
            Hana a kostky

            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "mrcubist"

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
              The goal you are striving for - getting your name into Guinness - is
              too hard for most of you. Trouble is, that only the fastest is the
              winner. Suppose that you make a spectacularly short average, and
              smeone from the boondocks beat you to it by fraction of a second?
              You will be frustrated and angry. I know I would.

              Cube art is a new duscipline on the Rubik's cube spectrum.There are
              very few of us in the world today. But if you thini cube artists
              don't have to be able to manipulate the cube, then think again! You
              can only use conventional twiddling to achieve those pieces, that
              is, if you use the cube as art medium.

              No, I don't feel offended by your reply. I expected something like it.
              Hana a kostky

              --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Richard Patterson

            • Richard Patterson
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
                It's also humorous, but I'd have to disagree with you
                again...First of all, you wrote this:

                > The goal you are striving for - getting your name
                > into Guinness - is too hard for most of you.

                My goal has never been to get into Guinness. And I
                think it's safe to say that's not the goal of the
                majority of speedcubists.

                > Trouble is, that only the fastest is the winner.

                Once again, the ultimate goal is not to be extremely
                competetive and beat everyone.

                > Suppose that you make a spectacularly short
                > average, and smeone from the boondocks beat you to >
                it by fraction of a second?

                I wouldn't be bitter about it. I would probably
                invite them to dinner with some fellow cubers to
                discuss methods or something.

                > You will be frustrated and angry. I know I would.

                I wouldn't be frustrated and angry...but you probably
                would be.

                > Cube art is a new duscipline on the Rubik's cube
                > spectrum.There are very few of us in the world
                > today.

                You're right, cube art is on the rubik's spectrum.
                But it's so far away from speedcubing that its almost
                astonishing. I wouldn't neccessarily call it a new
                discipline, because I've seen cube art. It's not
                complicated at all. I believe there are few cube
                artists because its too simple. (but thats what i
                believe not everyone else) I'm confident that if i
                had 500 extra cubes sitting around I could replicate
                any cube art I've seen so far.

                > But if you think cube artists don't have to be able
                > to manipulate the cube, then think again! You
                > can only use conventional twiddling to achieve
                > those pieces, that is, if you use the cube as art
                > medium.

                If you think about it, people who only know how to
                scramble a cube are capable of manipulating it. The
                cube is an interesting thing to use as an art medium.
                Some people make art with mashed potatoes.

                > No, I don't feel offended by your reply. I expected
                > something like it.

                then i'm sure you expected this reply from me.

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • jasmine_ellen
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 3, 2003
                  I think I'd probably put the mark at a few minutes (maybe 2-3
                  minutes?) to be called a speedcuber. Don't know what I'm basing this
                  on, it was just what popped into my head when I read the post. Maybe
                  I'm thinking this because (in my mind) the maximum time it would take
                  someone to solve the cube if they were using an inefficient method
                  and going fast enough to show that they have a some knowledge of
                  speedcubing, but not the sort of speed attained when algs have
                  embedded themself into the subconscious or when fingertricks are
                  applied.

                  So, if we imagine someone using a layer-by-layer-by-layer method with
                  a 4-6 look LL (as opposed to, say, a cross/F2L/LL method with a 2
                  look LL), it would often take 120+ turns. FYI, I'm basing this on
                  figures from an inefficient method that I learnt years ago. If they
                  were turning at an average of, say, around 0.75 turns/sec, this would
                  take 160 seconds, ie. between 2-3 minutes.

                  On the point of 'going for speed'. It's clearly a factor, but if
                  someone was working on getting their times from 1 hr down to 1/2 hr,
                  I wouldn't think them worthy of the title 'speedcuber'! Maybe they
                  are just a 'cuber'? Or 'speed-cuber-in-training'? :)

                  Here are some thoughts... BTW, I just made up these titles, but you
                  probably get the idea:

                  SpeedCubingGod: can regularly solve in 15-20 seconds
                  UberSuperSpeedCuber: can regularly solve in 20-30 seconds
                  SuperSpeedCuber: can regularly solve in 30-45 seconds
                  SpeedCuber (1st class): can regularly solve in 45-60 seconds
                  SpeedCuber (2nd class): can regularly solve in 1-2 minutes
                  SpeedCuber (3rd class): can regularly solve in 2-3 minutes
                  Cuber: can regularly solve in 3-10 minutes
                  Cuber-in-training: can regularly solve in 10-30 minutes
                  TryhardCuber: those people who claim that they can solve it but it
                  takes them a day or two. I'm skeptical of these people. I kinda think
                  that if you can do it, then you can do it in minutes (even if 30
                  minutes). I hope I haven't just offended anyone!!! :/

                  Geez, I really rambled on there didn't I??

                  Jasmine.

                  <mrcubist@y...> wrote:
                  > I would have to agree for what Richard wrote (below). I am a
                  > reletively slow cuber compared to other cubers. I asked the
                  question
                  > once, "What times should you be getting to be cosidered a
                  > speedcuber?". Answers were variable. So I came up with my own
                  > definition for speedcuber.
                  >
                  > Speedcuber [speed - kyew - ber] Noun.: 1.) One who is intentionally
                  > solving the Rubik's cube for speed.
                  >
                  > What this means is, if ur tryin to solve the cube to get
                  > faster, then your a speedcuber. Whether it takes you 10 seconds or
                  > 15 minutes.
                  >
                  > Please reply if you agree!
                  >
                  > ~X (Robert Smith)
                  >

                  > Richard Patterson wrote:
                  > > And your frame of mind is what seperates you
                  > > from speed cubists, not your times. I think someone
                  > > who averages 3 minutes can consider themselves a
                  > > speedcubist, depending on their attitude.
                • Terje Kristensen
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 3, 2003
                    I remember a few years back, i found a cube at a friends house (first time i
                    had seen one since 83), and tried to see if i could still solve it.

                    i got the first 2 layers, and after some fiddling i managed the top edges,
                    but i had troubles with the corners.
                    after some more fiddling i found an algo that rotated 3 corners. since one
                    of my edge moving algos flipped one or more corners, in theory i could
                    complete the cube by a combination of those algos.

                    I didnt bother writing down the algos to figure out what combinations i had
                    to make to get it complete, but just sat there for a while doing those algos
                    until it was solved.

                    i tried it again a few days later and made it again after a while. i think
                    this would qualify as someone that can solve the cube, but it might take a
                    long time. i didnt try the cube again until this spring.

                    Terje

                    TryhardCuber: those people who claim that they can solve it but it
                    > takes them a day or two. I'm skeptical of these people. I kinda think
                    > that if you can do it, then you can do it in minutes (even if 30
                    > minutes). I hope I haven't just offended anyone!!! :/
                    >
                    > Geez, I really rambled on there didn't I??
                    >
                    > Jasmine.
                  • Hana M. Bizek
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 3, 2003
                      I take it you consider cube art as something less than speed cubing,
                      where those Bohemians think that, by slapping a Rubik's cube on
                      paper, they have created a first-class cube art masterpiece. Nothing
                      could be more false. Because it is a new discipline, there are really
                      no rules as to what constitutes cube art. Read about it in
                      rubikschamps.com, what I define as cube art. It is a form that uses
                      Rubik's cube as art medium. I repeat, ART MEDIUM. That means the art
                      pieces are made from Rubik's cubes.

                      Therefore, to manipulate the cube means more, than just scrambling
                      it. In terms of 3d cube art you have to:
                      • Solve it – and that means solve it completely. You `paint'
                      patterns on each solved cube by judicious twiddling. If the cube is
                      not solved, you have a problem. If your neighbor is a speed cubist,
                      you can ask him for help. However, I am not fortunate enough to have
                      such a neighbor. As I need to learn judicious twiddling anyway, I
                      might as well learn how to solve the cube. End of justification.
                      • Do judicious twiddling – you speed cubists use it all the
                      time, except you call it F2L,LL, etc, etc.All that speed aside,
                      basically what you are doing is to get the identity element of the
                      Rubik's cube group. Once I get that element I use certain prescribed
                      sequences to get another symmetric element – a pattern on the cube
                      that will participate in a design.
                      • Use parity pairs and parity-pair induced design symmetries-
                      what? You have never herd of them? No mention is made of those pairs
                      n speed cubing, but they are extremely important in 3d designs. You
                      see, you deal only with one cube, but this property applies to two
                      cubes, a pair. If you come to Toronto and condescend to stop by my
                      exhibit, I will tell you what that is.
                      • Use color control just to make sure the cubes color-
                      synchronize properly, a part of judicious twiddling.
                      • Fractals is just a sub problem of the design problem, will
                      speak about it, if you are interested.
                      What do you think now? Is this more or less complicated than speed
                      cubing? THAT is what will be presented in Toronto.

                      May I ask you a favor? You said that you saw some cube art. Based on
                      that, you evidently came to your conclusions. What type of art did
                      you see? Could you produce a website of that art? I to, saw a few
                      pieces. The one, which left me in stitches, was a picture of a guy
                      holding 4 cubes with a letter on each cube. The message was SHIT.
                      That is roughly equivalent to putting a DO NOT DISTURB message on
                      your door and calling it art. I would hope I am doing somewhat better
                      than that.

                      <richy_jr_2000@y...> wrote:
                      > I found your post interesting, but I'd have to
                      > disagree with one thing in particular: "The pint is,
                      > that this frenzied chase after averages and timers
                      > rather spoils the fun, don't you think?" First of
                      > all, I wouldn't consider it a frenzied chase; I'd like
                      > to consider it as working towards a goal. Working
                      > toward a goal in speedcubing doesn't spoil the fun, it
                      > creates it! There is nothing more exhilarating than
                      > reaching a goal that you have set for yourself. "A
                      > frenzied chase" makes it sound barbaric and purely
                      > competetive. I'm very competetive with one person:
                      > Myself. And your frame of mind is what seperates you
                      > from speed cubists, not your times. I think someone
                      > who averages 3 minutes can consider themselves a
                      > speedcubist, depending on their attitude. Take you
                      > for example, your times are around 5 minutes avg.
                      > Everyone was there once, (or is still there) but your
                      > thought is "someone has to be the slowest". If you
                      > have accepted this frame of mind than maybe it's
                      > better that you only do cube art. Anyway, I'm done
                      > typing almost. I'm sorry if you found this reply to
                      > be offensive in any way, shape, or form.
                      > -Richard
                      > --- "Hana M. Bizek" <hanabizek@e...> wrote:
                      > > Hello,
                      > >
                      > > I just returned from speedcubing.com and looked at
                      > > the top 10 in
                      > > speedsolving the 3x3x3. Except the file did not stop
                      > > after the 19th
                      > > oerson, but continued to list 142 people, in order f
                      > > increasing times
                      > > (and therefore decresing chance of winning a world
                      > > record). he
                      > > slowest person clocked in at 6 minutes. Wel, I
                      > > aleays maintained an
                      > > average of 5 mninutes. Unfortunately, such a number
                      > > would put me
                      > > anead of the slowest person, so I better increase my
                      > > average to 6.5
                      > > minutes (6 minutes 30 seconds). Presto! Now I am
                      > > truly the slowest.
                      > >
                      > > The pint is, that this frenzied chase after averages
                      > > and timers
                      > > rather spoils the fun, don't you think? So relax and
                      > > stop worryung.
                      > > Somebody HAS to be the slowest.:-)
                      > >
                      > > Hana a kstky

                      > http://sbc.yahoo.com
                    • d_funny007
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 3, 2003
                        I think 2 minutes is a good place to put the mark, but this is
                        purely an opinion (so no offense please). From my experience
                        (nothing compared to those that started during the rage), when I was
                        first able to solve the cube consistatly (I don't remember my
                        randomly solving phase lasting for longer then 1 week), I was able
                        to obtain sub-2min times with no more then ten simple algorithms,
                        poor dexterity, and no outside resources/help (till maybe 1:20).
                        Perhaps, it was my recognition that allowed for these
                        good 'beginner' times, reaction times that eventually got me to
                        where my times are today. Then again, many would agree: recognition
                        is developed through practice.

                        So someone who is not achieving under the 2min mark and wants to be
                        a speedcubist is probably lacking in one of these attributes (that
                        may or maynot be under their control): dexterity, recognition,
                        memory, memory recall, or most likely lack of motivation and/or
                        practice. (I am having some joint problems myself currently; somehow
                        I got that idea that since I 'can' solve over 1,000 cubes in one
                        day, I should do it. Advice, don't do something just because you
                        can, lol.)

                        Also, what do you suppose would qualify as a blindfold cubist? I am
                        getting to around 40% of doing this feat, is that enought for me to
                        use this title? Again, this is up to ones opinion.

                        -Doug

                        P.S. some people think I don't post enough, so I will be rambling
                        on from time to time and perhaps contribute something occasionally

                        P.S.S. the metronome thing was a big failure on my part, one turn
                        for each tick even at 50 beats/min is too much for me, but I can
                        still regularly solve in about 22s. I suppose I solve in bursts, 8
                        to be exact.

                        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, jasmine_ellen

                      • simonl cube
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 4, 2003
                          >The one, which left me in stitches, was a picture of a guy
                          >holding 4 cubes with a letter on each cube. The message was
                          <snip>

                          How did he do the letter "S"?
                          S.

                        • Hana M. Bizek
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 4, 2003
                            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "simonl cube"
                            <simonlcube@h...> wrote:

                            > >The one, which left me in stitches, was a picture of a guy
                            > >holding 4 cubes with a letter on each cube. The message was
                            > <snip>
                            >
                            > How did he do the letter "S"?
                            Ne did not say so. However, I know how to do it, at least for
                            opposite clors. You do a diagonal that starts from the lower left-
                            hand corner and proceds to the upper right hand corner. With the cube
                            in this position you do L2 R2 U2 L2 R2 D2. This combination produces
                            letter S.
                            Hana a kostky

                            http://www.msn.co.uk/msnmobile