what do you guys do for stickers?

  • Eric Johanson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 24, 2003
      are the stickers from hessport (www.rubikshop.com) any good? these
      are the ones where you pay 4.99 for 3 sets of stickers?

      i've heard some people just paint the cube... does it wear off?
      what kind of paint do you use?

      where's a good place to buy colored vinyl tape? is it any good or
      does it end up peeling off?

      i tried buying 6 vinyl-covered notebooks in the appropriate colors
      and i cut up 54 squares and super-glued the vinyl squares onto my
      cube. but... the vinyl is partially transparent, so against the
      cube's black plastic, the colors are not bright at all. in fact
      they are so dull they are hard to recognize unless in bright light.
      so i ruined that cube.

      i since bought a new hungarian rubik's studio cube, but the colors
      weren't right for me, so i peeled the stickers and fixed them. but
      now the sticker edges are pulling up...

      what do you guys/gals do for stickers?
    • d_funny007
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 24, 2003
        I believe you named all the top solutions to the problem. I
        personally have been using vinly tape for the past few years and
        love the brightness of the cube with them. I purchese an assortmant
        pack of 5 colors (all but orange) made by 3M, it's easy to find it
        at Target or Meijers. They last fairly long even with the abuse I
        give them, performing over 200 solves a day, 3 times a week. For
        orange I looked in several hardware shops. My orange ones run about
        a month after sticking them on. For the incredible look, I don't
        mind having to replace stickers every month or so.

        I would highly recommend against buying the rubikshop sets, since
        they are over priced and last for only 1-2 weeks. Paint wouldn't be
        a bad idea, I havn't tried it but with the right paint, would
        imagine that it would take a lot of time and care to get it looking
        right. Multiple coats of course, with drying time in between. I
        believe Vining uses this approach. Using the plastic off notebooks
        or dividers would probably be my second choice, definatly choose
        bright and thick ones though. Gilles site
        (http://grrroux.free.fr/me/me.html)
        details this method, and using neoprene glue means that you can
        still take the stickers off easily with a razor blade in the future.
        This may be the best permanent, but not too permenent solution.

        You say you runined that cube, but perhaps with a good razorblade
        you can that those off. I just got a Studio cube recently also, I'll
        be changing the stickers on it soon, before they get destroyed. Some
        of my screws are turning WITH the faces however, and I may need help
        with this problem.

        -Doug

        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Johanson"
        <ejohanson@a...> wrote:
        > are the stickers from hessport (www.rubikshop.com) any good?
        these
        > are the ones where you pay 4.99 for 3 sets of stickers?
        >
        > i've heard some people just paint the cube... does it wear off?
        > what kind of paint do you use?
        >
        > where's a good place to buy colored vinyl tape? is it any good or
        > does it end up peeling off?
        >
        > i tried buying 6 vinyl-covered notebooks in the appropriate colors
        > and i cut up 54 squares and super-glued the vinyl squares onto my
        > cube. but... the vinyl is partially transparent, so against the
        > cube's black plastic, the colors are not bright at all. in fact
        > they are so dull they are hard to recognize unless in bright
        light.
        > so i ruined that cube.
        >
        > i since bought a new hungarian rubik's studio cube, but the colors
        > weren't right for me, so i peeled the stickers and fixed them.
        but
        > now the sticker edges are pulling up...
        >
        > what do you guys/gals do for stickers?
      • Terje Kristensen
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 25, 2003
          I've got the same problems with the screws .. i'm thinking of using glue to
          make them stick. Does anyone have any experience with that ?

          Terje

          > You say you runined that cube, but perhaps with a good razorblade
          > you can that those off. I just got a Studio cube recently also, I'll
          > be changing the stickers on it soon, before they get destroyed. Some
          > of my screws are turning WITH the faces however, and I may need help
          > with this problem.
          >

          > -Doug

        • Eric Johanson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 25, 2003
            yes the screws turned with the faces on my studio cube too. i used
            super glue on the screw threads to fix it. this is what i did to
            prepare my studio cube:

            1. new cube, very stiff, totally unusable
            2. disassemble cube and pop all six middle faces off with razor
            blade
            3. assemble cube and tighten all the screws down all the way to
            make it extremely tight
            4. turn the cube for an hour
            5. disassemble cube and wash all the plastic bits out with water
            and assemble entire cube
            6. unscrew one center and remove the center face so you have a
            complete cube except the hole in one center
            7. put a drop of super glue in the screw threads
            8. reinstall the center: tighten the screw all the way, then back
            it out 1.5 turns (or however loose/tight you like it)
            9. repeat steps 6 - 8 for the other five sides
            10. pop an edge and lubricate cube with castle 100% silicone spray

            the cube now turns like butter and the corners don't rattle and it
            rarely pops pieces. now if i could just figure out what to do about
            the stickers! i will probably try buying the vinyl tape.

            -eric

            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Terje Kristensen"
            <terje@w...> wrote:
            > I've got the same problems with the screws .. i'm thinking of
            using glue to
            > make them stick. Does anyone have any experience with that ?
            >
            > Terje
            >
            > > You say you runined that cube, but perhaps with a good razorblade
            > > you can that those off. I just got a Studio cube recently also,
            I'll
            > > be changing the stickers on it soon, before they get destroyed.
            Some
            > > of my screws are turning WITH the faces however, and I may need
            help
            > > with this problem.
            > >

            > > -Doug

          • Grant Tregay
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 25, 2003
              --- d_funny007 wrote:
              > Paint wouldn't be
              > a bad idea, I havn't tried it but with the right paint, would
              > imagine that it would take a lot of time and care to get it looking
              > right. Multiple coats of course, with drying time in between. I
              > believe Vining uses this approach.

              Actually he uses nail polish, as do I. I think I've found my
              favorite polish, which I anticipate would be available to most
              people... Go to your local Walgreens and look for Capri nail polish
              (or go to their website at http://www.walgreens.com and do a search
              for "Capri"). You'll see about 50 color choices, and this nail
              polish dries quickly and seems to be pretty resistant to denting. My
              second choice would probably have to be "Wet-n-Wild" nail polish,
              available at all sorts of stores. The red, yellow, and white that
              I'm using are Wet-n-Wild (hadn't found Capri yet), but Capri has a
              great green and orange.

              The way I do it, I also put on a couple coats of "Hard as Nails"
              after I've put down enough polish to get the color right to give it a
              shiny look. Then, once it's all dried, I stick it in the oven at
              about 150 degrees (F) for 20-30 minutes. But make sure it's dry,
              though, because otherwise you might get some bubbles in it.
            • patrick stinson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 25, 2003
                im afraid of my paint being chipped or cracking-- will that happen?

                Grant Tregay <Grant@...> wrote:--- d_funny007 wrote:
                > Paint wouldn't be
                > a bad idea, I havn't tried it but with the right paint, would
                > imagine that it would take a lot of time and care to get it looking
                > right. Multiple coats of course, with drying time in between. I
                > believe Vining uses this approach.

                Actually he uses nail polish, as do I. I think I've found my
                favorite polish, which I anticipate would be available to most
                people... Go to your local Walgreens and look for Capri nail polish
                (or go to their website at http://www.walgreens.com and do a search
                for "Capri"). You'll see about 50 color choices, and this nail
                polish dries quickly and seems to be pretty resistant to denting. My
                second choice would probably have to be "Wet-n-Wild" nail polish,
                available at all sorts of stores. The red, yellow, and white that
                I'm using are Wet-n-Wild (hadn't found Capri yet), but Capri has a
                great green and orange.

                The way I do it, I also put on a couple coats of "Hard as Nails"
                after I've put down enough polish to get the color right to give it a
                shiny look. Then, once it's all dried, I stick it in the oven at
                about 150 degrees (F) for 20-30 minutes. But make sure it's dry,
                though, because otherwise you might get some bubbles in it.

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • dishwashersafe22
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 25, 2003
                  The screws on my studio cube loosened up whenever I turned a face
                  anticlockwise. To fix the problem, I used medium strengh thread lock
                  which is designed exactly for that purpose. At first it didn't work
                  well because some of the stuff stuck to the center piece also but I
                  solved that problem by turning the cube a little while it was
                  drying. It holds very well now. BTW, if you are having trouble
                  keeping the center caps on, use silicon rubber sealant stuff. It
                  holds very well but the cap will still easily pry off using a finger
                  and the dried silicon will peel right off.
                  --The constantly barefoot ©H®Ï§

                  <terje@w...> wrote:
                  > I've got the same problems with the screws .. i'm thinking of
                  using glue to
                  > make them stick. Does anyone have any experience with that ?
                  >
                  > Terje
                  >
                  > > You say you runined that cube, but perhaps with a good razorblade
                  > > you can that those off. I just got a Studio cube recently also,
                  I'll
                  > > be changing the stickers on it soon, before they get destroyed.
                  Some
                  > > of my screws are turning WITH the faces however, and I may need
                  help
                  > > with this problem.
                  > >

                  > > -Doug

                • Grant Tregay
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 25, 2003
                    --- patrick stinson wrote:
                    > im afraid of my paint being chipped or cracking-- will that happen?

                    Paint may crack/chip, I'm not sure... Also, I think Ron had a bad
                    experience with nail polish. That's why I do it the way I do with
                    several coats of nail polish, a couple top coats of hard as nails,
                    and then, after it dries, putting it in the oven for a while. It
                    makes the top surface smooth and hard. I haven't had it painted now
                    for all that long (maybe a month), but I don't anticipate it will
                    wear off sooner than I will need to get a new cube when this one gets
                    too loose in a couple years.
                  • patrick stinson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 25, 2003
                      what kind of paint should i use for my cube if i just want to paint it, and not use dividers or any kind of paper?

                      dishwashersafe22 <s2chris2@...> wrote:The screws on my studio cube loosened up whenever I turned a face

                      <terje@w...> wrote:
                      > I've got the same problems with the screws .. i'm thinking of
                      using glue to
                      > make them stick. Does anyone have any experience with that ?
                      >
                      > Terje
                      >
                      > > You say you runined that cube, but perhaps with a good razorblade
                      > > you can that those off. I just got a Studio cube recently also,
                      I'll
                      > > be changing the stickers on it soon, before they get destroyed.
                      Some
                      > > of my screws are turning WITH the faces however, and I may need
                      help
                      > > with this problem.
                      > >

                      > > -Doug

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    • d_j_salvia
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 25, 2003
                        Hi Guys,

                        The basic basic problems with most cubes:
                        1. Stickers wear out easily,
                        2. The center caps are hard to get off,
                        3. The center cubies unscrew or tighten up,
                        4. The cubes pop pieces alot,
                        5. Lack of contrast between blue and green that they sometimes get
                        mixed up.
                        6. The plastic is weak and thin and not very slick.

                        All four of these problems were addressed by Ideal in 1980. The
                        solutions were:
                        1. Stickers were replaced by plastic tiles,
                        2. There are no caps; the screws are underneath the tiles which are
                        easy to pry off and easily reglued.
                        3. There is a small washer on the head of the screw,
                        4. They went back to the original design which is having a center
                        cubie which is ached underneath. When you open your cube and remove
                        one layer you should see a circle. If it's flat under the center cubie
                        it's not a circle so the edge pieces can derail and pop out easily,
                        5. Green was made much brighter,
                        6. The plastic was 3 or 4 times as thick, and slicker. In 1981 was
                        often beating 25 seconds with no lubrication.

                        The solution was applied to the Deluxe cube in 1980, and in the
                        Rubik's Game cube, from 1982, which is a Deluxe with little peg holes
                        in the center of the tiles.
                        These are excellent cubes. They come up fairly regularly on ebay.
                        There is a "deluxe" that is made now but I don't know if it is at all
                        like the original.

                        David J

                        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, d_funny007

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 30, 2003
                          This is an example of the Rubik's Game version of the Deluxe cube:
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3136362937&category=19187&rd=1

                          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "d_j_salvia"