Re: Solving the first two layers

  • weirdman71
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 30, 2000
      examine the cube before solving I decide what moves I'll
      do to solve the cross, and then I try to find a pair
      and figure what it's position will be so I already
      know the move for the first group. If the setting
      overall is complicated and I can't seem to figure out the
      orientation on the first pair after I will solve the cross
      then I just try to figure out where the pieces will
      be, and while I'm solving the cross I try to figure
      out what their orientation will be. I think that it
      is best not to look at the cube after you've done a
      step, but rather to examine it while you're doing
      whatever move you're doing. I'm not sure about the 2 sec.
      pause in Dans video, but from what I remember I think
      he just slowed down to about 1 move per sec. but I'm
      not sure. Anyway in response to your question yes I
      think it is quicker to go ahead and have an idea of
      where the first corner-edge pair will be after solving
      the cross. It may take more time examining the cube
      before you start but it will help your times a
      lot.<br><br>Chris
    • slowcuber
      Message 51 of 51 , Aug 4, 2000
        Way I memorize moves is: First learn to quickly
        recognize the position in which a move starts. Then, since
        I have a terrible time visualizing where cubes are
        moving, I forget about that. I first just learn the first
        two turns or so of a move; say it starts R U R' U', I
        just try to remember R, or R U. I do that with all the
        moves. Then as a move turns up again and again, I start
        to try to remember the next several turns, R' U'.
        Usually you can see how the move finishes from the last
        three turns or so.<br><br>I also say the move to myself
        as I am doing it when I am learning a new move, I
        find this really helps me.<br><br>And then eventually
        the move is remembered all in my hands. Your hands
        can remember a surprising amount of moves.<br><br>My
        huge problem is finding the cube pairs quickly in F2L;
        that to me is the biggest challenge with this method.