Re: [Speed cubing group] PLLmemorization

  • Ryan Heise
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2003
      On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 12:25:39AM +0000, James Sibley wrote:

      > I use the Petrus system and I want to do the LL with semi-2 looks. I
      > say that because I will still flip the edges but only know 2
      > orientation cases (for the corners). If I figured it right... I will
      > cut 9 moves average because I do not have to swap corners. In doing
      > all of this, I will start averaging about 64 moves per solve. Later on
      > I might memorize all the orientation cases for the corners so I can
      > cut maybe 2-3 moves. What would you call this method... Semi-Petrich?

      I also used this system about 4 or 5 years ago. It didn't have a name
      back then, but people now call it the Petrich system
      (http://borntodie.free.fr/themethod.htm). That is, when you learn all 13
      permutation and all 6 orientation algorithms. It's a good way to get
      fast without learning too many algorithms (only 19).

      You should learn the permutations in a useful order. Here's what I
      suggest (using the symbolic names on Jessica's site):

      First phase:

      - "A" for moving corners (If you do corners before edges, you can just
      rotate the LL around until one corner matches and apply this)
      - "U" for moving edges

      Second phase:

      - "E" for moving corners in special case
      - "Z" and "H" for moving edges in special cases

      Third phase:

      - Learn most common cases where you can move corners and edges in one
      go: "J", "R" and "G". J is easy, G is difficult because you need to
      learn how to do it forwards and backwards, left and right mirrored.
      However, it is the most common case so worth the effort.

      Fourth phase:

      - The rest: "T", "V", "F", "Y" and "N"

      For "H" in the second phase, I recommend learning:

      LRU2L'R' + B'F'U2BF

      which is easier to memorise.

      After you learn all those, you'll find the 6 orientation algorithms much
      easier to learn (they are relatively short).

      Ryan
    • Ron van Bruchem
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2003
        Hi James,

        It took me three days to learn all PLL algorithms. I already knew the basic ones
        of course. And for the new ones I started with the easiest algorithm. F.i. for
        the cases P14-P17 (http://www.speedcubing.com/final_layer_permutation.html) I
        used one algorithm normal/mirrored/inverted/mirrored+inverted.

        Once you know all PLL algorithms, you will start learning better finger tricks
        and better algorithms. We are all still looking for better algorithms for our
        worst cases. It will probably never stop...

        Have fun,

        Ron
        http://www.speedcubing.com

        > I am about to start memorizing 17 of the 21 PLL algorithms. For all you that
        have memorized them all, how long did it take you? I plan to learn one to two a
        day... depending on my memory that day.

        > I use the Petrus system and I want to do the LL with semi-2 looks. I say that
        because I will still flip the edges but only know 2 orientation cases (for the
        corners). If I figured it right... I will cut 9 moves average because I do not
        have to swap corners. In doing all of this, I will start averaging about 64
        moves per solve. Later on I might memorize all the orientation cases for the
        corners so I can cut maybe 2-3 moves.
        > What would you call this method... Semi-Petrich?
        >
        > After I learn the PLL cases, I will be able to solve the cube using Chris's
        extended cross with more proficiency. Using his method, I average maybe 100
        moves because I have to flip the LL edges two at a time with my own 8 move
        sequence :(

        > James SIbley
        > ---------
        > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch" - Jack
        Nicholson
        > ---------
        > "Black holes are where God divided by zero" - Steven Wright

        > Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • James Sibley
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2003
          Hello Ron,

          I would like to figure out finger tricks. It is much easier to pick them up as one is learning the algorithms. I have nice tricks for swaping two corners but when I learn all the PLL cases, there will ne no need for it anymore. I can do that with an average of 4 moves/second. I solve the whole cube with an average of 1.45 moves/second on average. I am about 2.8 for the LL right now. Just imagine my F2L :-p

          At the time of this writing.. I already knew 4 of the cases and I just learned 2. I am working on the 3rd one although it is 1:34 AM. I figured I will learn 4 a day. I will do it by learning one row at speedcubing.com a day. Since I know the last one on the first row... I will just assume I learned it today and call it quits :)

          James Sibley
          ---------
          "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch" - Jack Nicholson
          ---------
          "Black holes are where God divided by zero" - Steven Wright

          Please note: message attached

        • Dan Harris
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2003
            I also spent three days, like Ron I knew a few already, from having learnt simpler systems before, then I spent two days learning all of the cases minus the "3-corner + 3-edge cycles" (cases 18 to 21 on www.cubestation.co.uk) and then a day to learn the final four. Of course, the learning doesn't stop there, but once you confidently know an algorithm for each PLL case, you can be much happier about going on to learn new/better/different angle algorithms and add them to your armoury!

            Good luck mate - DanH

            (also no worries about last week's FMC, but hopefully there will be several more competitiors this week, yourself included! It's great to have you contesting)

            > I am about to start memorizing 17 of the 21 PLL algorithms. For all you that
            have memorized them all, how long did it take you? I plan to learn one to two a
            day... depending on my memory that day.

            > I use the Petrus system and I want to do the LL with semi-2 looks. I say that
            because I will still flip the edges but only know 2 orientation cases (for the
            corners). If I figured it right... I will cut 9 moves average because I do not
            have to swap corners. In doing all of this, I will start averaging about 64
            moves per solve. Later on I might memorize all the orientation cases for the
            corners so I can cut maybe 2-3 moves.
            > What would you call this method... Semi-Petrich?
            >
            > After I learn the PLL cases, I will be able to solve the cube using Chris's
            extended cross with more proficiency. Using his method, I average maybe 100
            moves because I have to flip the LL edges two at a time with my own 8 move
            sequence :(

            > James SIbley
            > ---------
            > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch" - Jack
            Nicholson
            > ---------
            > "Black holes are where God divided by zero" - Steven Wright

            > Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor