Re: [Speed cubing group] Help an 11 y/o solve Rubik's Cube

  • Paul Yorra
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2011
      Hi Dave,

      Sorry for randomly jumping into the discussion, but since I'm this group, I'd like to help.

      So before we say any algorithms for the cross, and if I understood your question correctly, you should know that the cross can indeed be done intuitively. But if you're one that needs algs to carry you through, I'm more than happy to tell you.

      I would recommend this website, for it helps to solve intuitively or, if you understand th3e page and the geography of the cube: http://peter.stillhq.com/jasmine/rubikscubesolution.html

      But here's the algorithm if you really need one:
      1) Match corresponding edge piece's adjacent color (i.e. if you're solving the red side, then you would find a red edge with, say, a yellow edge) to its corresponding center.
      2) If already matched, then move it straight up to its spot with both colors of the edge matched with their centers.
      3) If the colors are switched when you move the piece up (i.e. the red and yellow ought to match, and this case, the red side of the edge is next to the yellow center, and the yellow side is next to the red center), then use this algorithm: F'UL'U'.

      That should do it! Use those steps again to finish the cross! I hope I helped, and if it's unclear in any way or fashion, please post back so I can make it clear for you!

      Thanks!

      Paul