Help an 11 y/o solve Rubik's Cube

  • Dave West
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 19, 2011
      Hey folks,
      I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box.  But I'm trying to help my 11 y/o daughter solve the Rubik's Cube for a science project.  I have several sites that give directions, but I usually get stuck on a middle step.  Does anyone know of a good web site?  Does anyone have some sound advise on how to solve it?

      Dave

    • Reza Modarres
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 19, 2011
        Hi Dave,
        This is a good beginner one:
        http://peter.stillhq.com/jasmine/rubikscubesolution.html

        Reza Modarres

        ________________________________
        I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box.  But I'm trying to help my 11 y/o daughter solve the Rubik's Cube for a science project.  I have several sites that give directions, but I usually get stuck on a middle step.  Does anyone know of a good web site?  Does anyone have some sound advise on how to solve it?

        Dave

      • Christopher Milburn
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 19, 2011
          The one recommended below is decent, however, it tells you to solve the cube from the top down and you should really have her do it from the bottom layer up. Attached is the official Rubik’s “You can do the cube” instructions. Also, below is a link to the website where this solution guide is. This is a good one that I have given to a couple friends that have learned from it.

          http://www.youcandothecube.com/secret-unlocked/solution-stage-one.aspx

          Another good source is the below website, a good beginners method with printable pages and YouTube videos from a very good teacher.

          http://www.badmephisto.com/beg.php

          hope this helps, good luck to you and her.

          Chris

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2011
            Chris,

            You have been such a great help.  She solved it with your help.
            Now I'm in the 11th hour to help get it all finalized and need the algorithms for the Cross Method. Do you have that?

            Dave

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 28, 2011
              Reza,

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 29, 2011
                Hi Dave,

                Sorry for randomly jumping into the discussion, but since I'm this group, I'd like to help.

                So before we say any algorithms for the cross, and if I understood your question correctly, you should know that the cross can indeed be done intuitively. But if you're one that needs algs to carry you through, I'm more than happy to tell you.

                I would recommend this website, for it helps to solve intuitively or, if you understand th3e page and the geography of the cube: http://peter.stillhq.com/jasmine/rubikscubesolution.html

                But here's the algorithm if you really need one:
                1) Match corresponding edge piece's adjacent color (i.e. if you're solving the red side, then you would find a red edge with, say, a yellow edge) to its corresponding center.
                2) If already matched, then move it straight up to its spot with both colors of the edge matched with their centers.
                3) If the colors are switched when you move the piece up (i.e. the red and yellow ought to match, and this case, the red side of the edge is next to the yellow center, and the yellow side is next to the red center), then use this algorithm: F'UL'U'.

                That should do it! Use those steps again to finish the cross! I hope I helped, and if it's unclear in any way or fashion, please post back so I can make it clear for you!

                Thanks!

                Paul