6x6 OLL parity

  • Anthony Hsu
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
      Hey,

      I was just wondering what people do at the end of reduction when they
      have one edge group left with the OLL parity. Do you do the 15-move OLL
      parity alg then (and then risk the possibility of having to do it again
      later) or do you start the the 3x3 solve with the parity still in place
      and then fix the parity once later? If you wait to fix the parity, the
      flipped piece could get really annoying if it happens to be part of your
      cross or 2x2x2 block. Just curious how other people deal with this
      scenario.

      -ant
    • Robert Munafo
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
        I am not a speedsolver -- but based on my experiences solving the
        6x6x6 I would suggest leaving the parity until later, and get
        accustomed to recognizing the odd piece by its outer (or inner if you
        prefer) pair of edges. For example, if you're doing the Fridrich
        7-look method [1], when doing each of the 4 corner+edge steps [2], you
        might focus on the four LL corners and their adjacent edge pieces
        (ignoring the central two slices everywhere) to select your F2L algs.
        It's going to depend a lot on how your brain recognizes patterns,
        because you're going to have to learn to do it without thinking. I
        suspect many will find it easy and others will find it much more
        difficult.

        [1]: http://www.ws.binghamton.edu/fridrich/system.html

        [2]: http://www.ws.binghamton.edu/fridrich/Mike/middle.html

        --
        Robert Munafo -- mrob.com/cube
      • David Barr
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
          I fix the parity after finishing the 3x3x3 stage. I always join the
          edge pieces that contain my last layer color last to avoid the problem
          that you mention.

          On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Anthony Hsu<erwaman@...> wrote:

          > Hey,
          >
          > I was just wondering what people do at the end of reduction when they
          > have one edge group left with the OLL parity. Do you do the 15-move OLL
          > parity alg then (and then risk the possibility of having to do it again
          > later) or do you start the the 3x3 solve with the parity still in place
          > and then fix the parity once later? If you wait to fix the parity, the
          > flipped piece could get really annoying if it happens to be part of your
          > cross or 2x2x2 block. Just curious how other people deal with this
          > scenario.
          >
          > -ant
        • Bob or "rj"
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 29, 2009
            I am not fast either, but I confine the parity to one edge group, then fix it once F2L is done so I can see which way to flip the pieces. Ideally, as I solve the edges, I try to arrange having the final edge group (with possible parity) contain U colors. But it is not so important, because I can use the slower "slice" version of 15-move OLL parity algorithm so only the cubies in that edge group get affected. (By the way, I do the PLL parity separately because I never bothered to learn the OLL+PLL algorithm.)