how to download scrambles automatically

  • Dr Cinoto
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 5, 2009
      Hi all!

      We run a weekly contest in our brazilian cube forum (http://cubomagicobrasil.com) and we would like to download the scrambles automaticaly from the official scramblers, like http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/scrambles/scramble_cube_222.html.

      I tried to do this simply with Excel access to web, but it didn´t work. Then I tried with Wget (http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/) and it didn´t work either. Finally I tried doing a little program in C using Lynx (http://lynx.isc.org/), but it didn´t work again.

      I guess the problem is that the scrambles are generated from a script and these things I tried don´t get the script results.

      Does anyone have a solution to this? I would like to write something in VBA in Excel, but in C it would be nice as well.

      Thanks in advance!

      Rafael.
      4º lugar no mundo com os pés!!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOKlqxair58
      Eterno, é tudo aquilo que dura uma fração de segundo,

      mas com tamanha intensidade, que se petrifica,

      e nenhuma força jamais o resgata. (Carlos D. A.)

      Sent via e-mail from Yahoo

    • Pedro
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 5, 2009
        You can download the .zip file which has all the scramblers: http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/scrambles.zip

        Pedro

        http://br.maisbuscados.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 5, 2009
          Pedro: He wants scrambles, not scramblers.

          Rafael: You're right about the scripting. How often do you need how many scrambles of which puzzles?

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 5, 2009
            Thanks Stefan. I need once a week, 5 scrambles for each of the following:
            2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 7x7, Megaminx, Pyraminx, Square-1

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 5, 2009
              Well, I don't really have a good idea to do it fully automatically, but you could open the scrambler in a browser, let it show 95 scrambles (99 seems max), and copy+paste them to a text editor. From there it ought to be easy, and you'd need to do that only once every 19 weeks.

              Other than that, I can only suggest the speedsolving.com forum, which is active (not dead like this group here) and has many tech-savvy guys.

              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 5, 2009
                He he, ok! That's a very good idea... I used to do that to scramble the square when I used Jnet and there wasn't a square scrambler there... And do this 3 times a year is not so bad!

                Anyway, I will try the speedsolving as my last chance.

                Thanks for the help!

              • David Barr
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 6, 2009
                  On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Dr Cinoto<rwcinoto@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Stefan. I need once a week, 5 scrambles for each of the following:
                  > 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 7x7, Megaminx, Pyraminx, Square-1
                  >
                  > Rafael.

                  You could download the HTML pages for the scramblers from the WCA and
                  put them on your own site.

                  Add a line to each file to seed the random number generate with a
                  constant number so that everyone who loads the pages will see the same
                  scrambles.

                  Every week, change the random seed to a new number.
                • Dr Cinoto