Re: [Speed cubing group] Re: Should this group be closed?

  • Simba Mai
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 15 11:38 AM
      I'll moderate for Canada!

      I will miss this group if we do close it down. It's a great source for cubing talk, but I also think that these spam messages is getting out of hand. Like, "Fat burning vegetables"? Far from cubing. Moderating it would be a nice idea. I volunteer myself to help if need be.

      Simba

      ;)

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 16 8:19 AM
        I volunteer for Brazil.

        Rafael W Cinoto.
        4º lugar no mundo com os pés!!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOKlqxair58
        Sent via e-mail from Yahoo

        ________________________________

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        Instant Messaging, free SMS, sharing photos and more... Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger at http://ca.beta messenger. yahoo.com/

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 16 9:51 AM
          > I'll moderate for Canada!
          > I volunteer for Brazil.

          Um, that doesn't make sense to me.

          > Spread the moderator duty across a couple of users (in different
          > countries), and the problem is solved.

          I suspect you meant different *timezones* so we have moderators 24/7. Right? Otherwise I don't see the point.

          Disabling new registrations and directing newbies to speedsolving.com would get my vote.

        • Adam P. Larsen
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 17 9:28 PM
            Yes, timezones. People took that the wrong way...I should have been clearer.

            Another group I moderated for a while had me in the US and a woman in the UK monitoring posts.

            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann" <stefan.pochmann@...> wrote:

            > > I'll moderate for Canada!
            > > I volunteer for Brazil.
            >
            > Um, that doesn't make sense to me.
            >
            > > Spread the moderator duty across a couple of users (in different
            > > countries), and the problem is solved.
            >
            > I suspect you meant different *timezones* so we have moderators 24/7. Right? Otherwise I don't see the point.
            >
            > Disabling new registrations and directing newbies to speedsolving.com would get my vote.

          • per_fredlund
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 19 3:00 AM
              This group is becoming more and more redundant. I cannot recall the last time a genuinely interesting topic was brought up.

              The only decent cube forums (i know of - english ones) are

              http://www.twistypuzzles.com and
              http://www.speedsolving.com

              They are genuine forums and not mailgroups, like this one. They have dedicated subforums and active moderators.

              I'd say the first one is more collectors/building oriented while the second is more geared towards speedsolvers - as the name correctly indicates.

              I do not think introducing message approval would make this group any better or more active. It is dying merely due to lack of features ...
              Coincidentally, i also read that emailing in general is dying. Especially amongst youger people. Other ways of communicating are more important for them ;-) (email is slow!)

              Per