Negative Time Solving Contest 2008

  • mackymakisumi
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 21, 2008
      Announcing the Negative Time Solving Contest 2008

      Continuing with what has now become a tradition, I'm once again
      organizing the yearly Negative Time Solving Contest. The official page
      is at <http://cubefreak.net/negative.html>, where the scrambles for
      this year have already been posted.

      DST (Daylight Saving Time) ends at 3am on Sunday, October 26 in many
      countries in Europe. In most parts of the United States and Canada,
      DST ends at 2am on Sunday, November 2. See <a
      href="http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dstevents.html">Time and
      Date.com</a> to check the clock change schedule in your area. I will
      NOT post the results from Europe until the results from North America
      come in a week later.

      Please note that each solve started (not just start the timer but
      actually make a move) before daylight saving ends and completed after
      it ends counts as a negative solve. This means that you can
      simultaneously compete in 3x3 speedsolve, 3x3 blindfolded, and
      whatever else your cubing heart desires, at the cost of some extra
      time in your negative solve. I think a fun category would be "most
      cubes solved blindfolded in a negative time." the whole thing needs to
      be done in an hour, so you first have to decide on the number of
      cubers to attempt, and then, taking into account your average
      memorization time for that number of cubes, start memorizing at some
      appropriate time before daylight saving ends.

      You can find instructions for sending in your times on the link above.
      Once again, thanks to Tyson Mao for bringing this great Caltech
      tradition to cubing. Good luck to all participants!

      Best,
      -macky
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 21, 2008
        Shoot, if only I could have postponed my appendicitis for a week.
        Then I could have done negative time solving while hooked up to an IV
        and hopped up on morphine.

        Btw, there is no way to try solving a cube while receiving general
        anesthesia. Don't even try it. There is absolutely no reason a cube
        belongs in the operating room.

        And there is no pleasant way to solve coming out of general
        anesthesia. Nor would you find yourself near a cube after general
        anesthesia. And you shouldn't.

        Yeah, I do not recommend ANY attempts at cubing while in the operating
        room. Last thing you want is a popped edge to fall in the incision
        like a junior mint from above.

        -Tyson

        On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 11:49 AM, mackymakisumi <mackymakisumi@...> wrote:
        > Announcing the Negative Time Solving Contest 2008
        >
        > Continuing with what has now become a tradition, I'm once again
        > organizing the yearly Negative Time Solving Contest. The official page
        > is at <http://cubefreak.net/negative.html>, where the scrambles for
        > this year have already been posted.
        >
        > DST (Daylight Saving Time) ends at 3am on Sunday, October 26 in many
        > countries in Europe. In most parts of the United States and Canada,
        > DST ends at 2am on Sunday, November 2. See <a
        > href="http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dstevents.html">Time and
        > Date.com</a> to check the clock change schedule in your area. I will
        > NOT post the results from Europe until the results from North America
        > come in a week later.
        >
        > Please note that each solve started (not just start the timer but
        > actually make a move) before daylight saving ends and completed after
        > it ends counts as a negative solve. This means that you can
        > simultaneously compete in 3x3 speedsolve, 3x3 blindfolded, and
        > whatever else your cubing heart desires, at the cost of some extra
        > time in your negative solve. I think a fun category would be "most
        > cubes solved blindfolded in a negative time." the whole thing needs to
        > be done in an hour, so you first have to decide on the number of
        > cubers to attempt, and then, taking into account your average
        > memorization time for that number of cubes, start memorizing at some
        > appropriate time before daylight saving ends.
        >
        > You can find instructions for sending in your times on the link above.
        > Once again, thanks to Tyson Mao for bringing this great Caltech
        > tradition to cubing. Good luck to all participants!
        >
        > Best,
        > -macky

      • bladez740
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 21, 2008
          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Tyson Mao"
          <tyson.mao@...> wrote:

          > Yeah, I do not recommend ANY attempts at cubing while in the operating
          > room. Last thing you want is a popped edge to fall in the incision
          > like a junior mint from above.
          >
          > -Tyson

          Cubing will be a part of you forever.
        • Stefan Huber
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 25, 2008
            Hi Macky,
            I have done the Negative Time Solving Contest, but when I submitted the form, there was some error notification of C or PHP or some like that.

            If you haven't received my results, I would like to give them to you per hand:

            Stefan Huber
            3x3x3 Speed
            Austria
            -59 minutes, 46.91 seconds
            N/A
            not really good (bad PLL recognition), but better than last year ;)

            I'm sorry if the problem was caused by me,

            Greetings from Austria
          • mackymakisumi
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 27, 2008
              Hey Stefan,

              I also noticed the error. It worked fine last year, so I'm not sure
              what's wrong. Anyway, I will add your result.

              If anyone else encountered the same problem, please email me your
              result at smakisumi @ gmail. Sorry for the inconvenience.

              Best,
              -macky

              --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Huber
              <mc_sin-h@...> wrote:

              > Hi Macky,
              > I have done the Negative Time Solving Contest, but when I submitted
              the form, there was some error notification of C or PHP or some like that.

              > If you haven't received my results, I would like to give them to you
              per hand:

              > Stefan Huber
              > 3x3x3 Speed
              > Austria
              > -59 minutes, 46.91 seconds
              > N/A
              > not really good (bad PLL recognition), but better than last year ;)
              >
              > I'm sorry if the problem was caused by me,
              >
              > Greetings from Austria
              > Stefan
            • mackymakisumi
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 30, 2008
                I've relinked to a copy of the submission page on Lucas Garron's site,
                and that one's working fine. Remember, DST ends on Sunday at 2am,
                meaning Saturday night! Again, the contest's main page is
                http://cubefreak.net/negative.html

                Enjoy,
                -macky

                --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "mackymakisumi"
                <mackymakisumi@...> wrote:

                > Hey Stefan,
                >
                > I also noticed the error. It worked fine last year, so I'm not sure
                > what's wrong. Anyway, I will add your result.
                >
                > If anyone else encountered the same problem, please email me your
                > result at smakisumi @ gmail. Sorry for the inconvenience.
                >
                > Best,
                > -macky
              • mackymakisumi
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
                  I think the results are pretty much final now.

                  http://www.cubefreak.net/negative.html#results

                  There were 42 participants representing 6 countries (plus Smerbia). Of
                  these, 2 participated in Europe and the rest were from North America.
                  This is the largest turn out ever for this annual event, now in its
                  fifth year! Here are the top 3's for 3x3:

                  3x3 Speedsolve
                  Jason Baum / USA / -59 minutes, 49.43 seconds / I did ZBF2L and ended
                  with this ZBLL case: F R U' R' U' R U' L U' R' U L' U2 F'

                  Jun Hyuk Kim / USA / -59 minutes, 48.20 seconds / ahaha, that was fun,
                  but i got in trouble by my parents :S

                  Stefan Huber / Austria / -59 minutes, 46.91 seconds / not really good
                  (bad PLL recognition), but better than last year

                  More:
                  Felix Lee was the only person to successfully solve a 3x3 blindfolded,
                  with a time of -54 minutes, 53 seconds.

                  Two people, Michael Gottlieb and Henry Fung, solved a 7x7 in negative
                  time. Michael's winning time was -54 minutes, 18.78 seconds.

                  Mike Hughey got a 4/7 for multiBLD in -12 minutes, 46.12 seconds.
                  Major props for trying this, and if you try again next year, I hope to
                  see a 100% !

                  Thanks to all participants, and to Lucas Garron for the submission
                  script. That was fun!

                  Best,
                  -macky
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 5, 2008
                    I think you have a mistake on Dan's negative solve. He sucked so
                    much, it was actually POSITIVE 15.xx seconds...

                    On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 7:46 PM, mackymakisumi <mackymakisumi@...> wrote:
                    > I think the results are pretty much final now.
                    >
                    > http://www.cubefreak.net/negative.html#results
                    >
                    > There were 42 participants representing 6 countries (plus Smerbia). Of
                    > these, 2 participated in Europe and the rest were from North America.
                    > This is the largest turn out ever for this annual event, now in its
                    > fifth year! Here are the top 3's for 3x3:
                    >
                    > 3x3 Speedsolve
                    > Jason Baum / USA / -59 minutes, 49.43 seconds / I did ZBF2L and ended
                    > with this ZBLL case: F R U' R' U' R U' L U' R' U L' U2 F'
                    >
                    > Jun Hyuk Kim / USA / -59 minutes, 48.20 seconds / ahaha, that was fun,
                    > but i got in trouble by my parents :S
                    >
                    > Stefan Huber / Austria / -59 minutes, 46.91 seconds / not really good
                    > (bad PLL recognition), but better than last year
                    >
                    > More:
                    > Felix Lee was the only person to successfully solve a 3x3 blindfolded,
                    > with a time of -54 minutes, 53 seconds.
                    >
                    > Two people, Michael Gottlieb and Henry Fung, solved a 7x7 in negative
                    > time. Michael's winning time was -54 minutes, 18.78 seconds.
                    >
                    > Mike Hughey got a 4/7 for multiBLD in -12 minutes, 46.12 seconds.
                    > Major props for trying this, and if you try again next year, I hope to
                    > see a 100% !
                    >
                    > Thanks to all participants, and to Lucas Garron for the submission
                    > script. That was fun!
                    >
                    > Best,
                    > -macky

                  • Dan Dzoan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 7, 2008
                      Yes. Definitely a mistake. My negative time solve was not so negative.