[Speed cubing group] Re: How would you respond to this?

  • Ryan Heise
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 20, 2008
      Jasmine Lee wrote:

      > At the bottom of my LL corner orientation page, I also have [...]
      > a link to Ryan Heise's site where he explains all the cases:

      I'm afraid my site doesn't do any better at deterring the
      unappreciative, rude, idiotic and ignorant people.

      Ryan Heise

      "Dude. you TOTALLY misspelled memorization! LOL!... hahaha"
      -- An acute observation from one of my visitors :-)
    • Joël van Noort
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 21, 2008
        Hi Jasmine,

        I recognise this sort of e-mail.

        Usually, when I get an e-mail like that, I first write something
        like: "You lazy dumbass, use your brain or die!".

        But then I realise that this will not sound very nice, and I'd change
        it to something more polite (unless I am in a bad mood).

        I'd say your option telling him that rude e-mails usually don't work
        is the best, and maybe give him an extra hint in the right direction
        for free. Something like: "The two algorithms can twist 3 corners
        either clockwise or counter clockwise, and by combining them from
        different angles you can twist 2 or 4 corners".

        Bye!!

        Joel.

        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Jasmine Lee"
        <speedcuber@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Wanted to get some opinions from people here...
        >
        > The emails I receive from my beginner cube solution website (
        > http://www.ozcubegirl.com/rubikscubesolution.html - note the new URL
        > BTW) are usually very positive. Sometimes people have
        questions/comments, or
        > don't quite understand a section, and send me nice polite emails
        asking for
        > help. This is all fine.
        >
        > I was surprised to receive the following email recently:
        >
        > "wtf?!...i have my cube in state 7 and i need to know how to solve
        it...why
        > isnt the solution on your site?...it says blah blah blah i want you
        > figure it out for yourself...why the hell would you have a how to
        site and
        > tell someone to figure it out?..."
        >
        > I was surprised for 2 reasons: (i) the emails I receive are
        practically
        > always as described further above; and (ii) most people realise
        that sending
        > rude/angry emails is not a good way to get help, especially free
        help.

        > I'm pondering whether to just ignore the email, or to reply saying
        that
        > sending rude angry emails is not a good way to obtain assistance.
        I've
        > always tried to be helpful in response to requests from my site,
        but then
        > I've also always received polite and friendly requests for help. I
        think
        > this is the FIRST time anyone has ever sent rude email and asked
        for help at
        > the same time.
        >
        > It's true that there are a couple of places in my site where I
        (*gasp!*)
        > expect the reader to (*gasp!*) use their own brain(!), but only
        after
        > providing plenty of information for them to extrapolate the answer.
        The vast
        > majority of people from whom I've received feedback about the site
        have not
        > had problems with this.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Jasmine

      • Robert D. Johnson
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 21, 2008
          Nice now. It looks like you updated the wording so it is immediately
          clear that 3-7 can be handled by 1 and 2. There is a natural tendency
          for people to look for pictures, but not to read large paragraphs,
          skimming a page to get what they need. Some readers might have missed
          the link to examples. Or maybe after they pushed the link, they
          noticed cases 4 and 7 were missing without reading the top paragraphs
          on that page.

          http://www.ozcubegirl.com/cube/rubikscubesolution-orient-LL-corners.html(there's

          speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com<speedsolvingrubikscube%40yahoogroups.com>,