Re: [Speed cubing group] Re: How would you respond to this?

  • Jasmine Lee
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 20, 2008
      You're right, Doug. The email isn't that bad, and it could have been a lot
      worse.

      Guess I've just been lucky as this really is the first email I've received
      that was both rude and asking for help. I have received one other rude email
      (but not asking for help), which was worse than this one, but that's it.
      Other than these two, all other emails I've every received through my site
      have been quite positive! :)
      Cheers,
      Jasmine

    • Ryan Heise
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 20, 2008
        Jasmine Lee wrote:

        > At the bottom of my LL corner orientation page, I also have [...]
        > a link to Ryan Heise's site where he explains all the cases:

        I'm afraid my site doesn't do any better at deterring the
        unappreciative, rude, idiotic and ignorant people.

        Ryan Heise

        "Dude. you TOTALLY misspelled memorization! LOL!... hahaha"
        -- An acute observation from one of my visitors :-)
      • Joël van Noort
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 21, 2008
          Hi Jasmine,

          I recognise this sort of e-mail.

          Usually, when I get an e-mail like that, I first write something
          like: "You lazy dumbass, use your brain or die!".

          But then I realise that this will not sound very nice, and I'd change
          it to something more polite (unless I am in a bad mood).

          I'd say your option telling him that rude e-mails usually don't work
          is the best, and maybe give him an extra hint in the right direction
          for free. Something like: "The two algorithms can twist 3 corners
          either clockwise or counter clockwise, and by combining them from
          different angles you can twist 2 or 4 corners".

          Bye!!

          Joel.

          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Jasmine Lee"
          <speedcuber@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > Wanted to get some opinions from people here...
          >
          > The emails I receive from my beginner cube solution website (
          > http://www.ozcubegirl.com/rubikscubesolution.html - note the new URL
          > BTW) are usually very positive. Sometimes people have
          questions/comments, or
          > don't quite understand a section, and send me nice polite emails
          asking for
          > help. This is all fine.
          >
          > I was surprised to receive the following email recently:
          >
          > "wtf?!...i have my cube in state 7 and i need to know how to solve
          it...why
          > isnt the solution on your site?...it says blah blah blah i want you
          > figure it out for yourself...why the hell would you have a how to
          site and
          > tell someone to figure it out?..."
          >
          > I was surprised for 2 reasons: (i) the emails I receive are
          practically
          > always as described further above; and (ii) most people realise
          that sending
          > rude/angry emails is not a good way to get help, especially free
          help.

          > I'm pondering whether to just ignore the email, or to reply saying
          that
          > sending rude angry emails is not a good way to obtain assistance.
          I've
          > always tried to be helpful in response to requests from my site,
          but then
          > I've also always received polite and friendly requests for help. I
          think
          > this is the FIRST time anyone has ever sent rude email and asked
          for help at
          > the same time.
          >
          > It's true that there are a couple of places in my site where I
          (*gasp!*)
          > expect the reader to (*gasp!*) use their own brain(!), but only
          after
          > providing plenty of information for them to extrapolate the answer.
          The vast
          > majority of people from whom I've received feedback about the site
          have not
          > had problems with this.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Jasmine

        • Robert D. Johnson
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 21, 2008
            Nice now. It looks like you updated the wording so it is immediately
            clear that 3-7 can be handled by 1 and 2. There is a natural tendency
            for people to look for pictures, but not to read large paragraphs,
            skimming a page to get what they need. Some readers might have missed
            the link to examples. Or maybe after they pushed the link, they
            noticed cases 4 and 7 were missing without reading the top paragraphs
            on that page.

            http://www.ozcubegirl.com/cube/rubikscubesolution-orient-LL-corners.html(there's