Re: Theoretical Limit of Ryan Heises Virtual Cube

  • Ryan Heise
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 15, 2008
      h_kociemba wrote:

      > I just make a few changes to my webcam interface of Cube Explorer and
      > tested it with Ryans Virtual Cube, holding the webcam in front of the
      > monitor. The keyboard strokes also were simulated by Cube Explorer,
      > so the cube was read in and solved within the 10 seconds inspection
      > time, and the solution (20 moves or less) was sent via the keyboard
      > emulation to Virtual Cube applet. Of course I did not enter my
      > results into the highscore list. The times for a solve ranged from
      > 2.5 s to 3.5 s, and I got an average-of-10 of 2.87 s....

      I'd also love to see the video of this!

      As for the "theoretical limit" of my virtual cube, there is a
      hard-coded limit of 9 (quarter) moves per second. This is mainly
      because if it were any faster than that, the move animation would not
      contain enough frames to give sufficient visual feedback to the user
      about what has actually happened on the cube.

      Even at 9 moves per second, the animation is much faster than the
      average "natural" move. So, my program actually has two speed levels,
      6 moves/sec and 9 moves/sec, which it switches back and forth between
      depending on how fast the user is executing the moves. For example, if
      the user types a sequence of moves really quickly, it will animate at
      9 moves/sec, but if the user hesitates and and begins to move slowly,
      the cube will animate at the slower rate of 6 moves/sec.

      --
      Ryan Heise http://www.ryanheise.com/cube/
    • h_kociemba
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 15, 2008
        I recorded three solves with a screen recorder. The Cube Explorer
        Version you see here is not out yet and I do not intend to include
        the "Solve Virtual Cube" Button in the version I release because of
        the apprehension that it could be misused. You also see the webcam
        window with the color recognition.

        http://rapidshare.com/files/145548334/virtualcube.avi

        The file has about 9 MB size.

        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Heise"