Re: [Speed cubing group] Re: Wanna Bet?

  • Bart
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 14, 2008
      So, what are your thoughts on those methods? Which would you
      recommend for a beginner to learn and why? Why must I pad my post
      with extra things like, "I'm not looking to get a world record, but I
      just want to be able to do it in under 10 minutes." That's rather
      self evident, don't you think? I know I'm going to be slow, I'm
      evidently not looking to get a world record, but I don't want to take
      forever in solving it. What, I should waste all of our time by
      padding my post with extraneous information that really isn't topical?

      Perhaps I should share more personal information? "I was born on a
      small country farm. My favorite pastimes were riding my horse and
      tormenting the farm girl who lived there. 'Farm girl. Polish my
      horse's saddle. I want to see my face shining in it by morning.' 'As
      you wish.' That day, I was amazed to discover that when she was
      saying, 'As you wish,' what she meant was, 'I love you.' And even
      more amazing was the day I realized that I truly loved her back." (to
      cadge from The Princes Bride).

      How simple would it have been to just copy/paste:
      http://solvethecube.110mb.com/index.php?location=blindfold
      And you couldn't even be bothered to do that when you'd never met me
      before or heard from me before.
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 14, 2008
        Moar fail!

        On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Bart <banaticus@...> wrote:
        > So, what are your thoughts on those methods? Which would you
        > recommend for a beginner to learn and why? Why must I pad my post
        > with extra things like, "I'm not looking to get a world record, but I
        > just want to be able to do it in under 10 minutes." That's rather
        > self evident, don't you think? I know I'm going to be slow, I'm
        > evidently not looking to get a world record, but I don't want to take
        > forever in solving it. What, I should waste all of our time by
        > padding my post with extraneous information that really isn't topical?
        >
        > Perhaps I should share more personal information? "I was born on a
        > small country farm. My favorite pastimes were riding my horse and
        > tormenting the farm girl who lived there. 'Farm girl. Polish my
        > horse's saddle. I want to see my face shining in it by morning.' 'As
        > you wish.' That day, I was amazed to discover that when she was
        > saying, 'As you wish,' what she meant was, 'I love you.' And even
        > more amazing was the day I realized that I truly loved her back." (to
        > cadge from The Princes Bride).
        >
        > How simple would it have been to just copy/paste:
        > http://solvethecube.110mb.com/index.php?location=blindfold
        > And you couldn't even be bothered to do that when you'd never met me
        > before or heard from me before.

      • Shelley Chang
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 14, 2008
          You don't seem to be getting the point. Did you actually look into
          them, or are you just parroting back what I suggested?

          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Bart <banaticus@...> wrote:

          > So, what are your thoughts on those methods? Which would you
          > recommend for a beginner to learn and why? Why must I pad my post
          > with extra things like, "I'm not looking to get a world record, but I
          > just want to be able to do it in under 10 minutes." That's rather
          > self evident, don't you think? I know I'm going to be slow, I'm
          > evidently not looking to get a world record, but I don't want to take
          > forever in solving it. What, I should waste all of our time by
          > padding my post with extraneous information that really isn't topical?
          >
          > Perhaps I should share more personal information? "I was born on a
          > small country farm. My favorite pastimes were riding my horse and
          > tormenting the farm girl who lived there. 'Farm girl. Polish my
          > horse's saddle. I want to see my face shining in it by morning.' 'As
          > you wish.' That day, I was amazed to discover that when she was
          > saying, 'As you wish,' what she meant was, 'I love you.' And even
          > more amazing was the day I realized that I truly loved her back." (to
          > cadge from The Princes Bride).
          >
          > How simple would it have been to just copy/paste:
          > http://solvethecube.110mb.com/index.php?location=blindfold
          > And you couldn't even be bothered to do that when you'd never met me
          > before or heard from me before.

        • Pedro
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 14, 2008
            >How simple would it have been to just copy/paste:

            >http://solvethecube .110mb.com/ index.php? location= blindfold

            >And you couldn't even be bothered to do that when you'd never met me

            >before or heard from me before.How simple was it to find that link?

            Novos endereços, o Yahoo! que você conhece. Crie um email novo com a sua cara @... ou @....
            http://br.new.mail.yahoo.com/addresses

          • Simba
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
              Firstly, there are things that are easy for us to give to help others, but there are things that can be easily found without having to ask others for it (with the wonderful power of Google and YouTube). You're basically asking someone to hand you something that's right beside you.

              And secondly, you want to get faster? Practice, practice, practice. Do I need to repeat myself? Of course there are faster methods than others, but praticing and mastering a method will ultimately give you faster times, if you don't want to take forever to solve it.

              -Simba

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
                Gy tsf aodlqk ,gppglu ks ,sov alh flhdo;kalh idokagl kjglu; yso
                tsfo;dpyw ,jak mavd; tsf kjglv tsfqpp ja.d kjd od;sp.d ks pdaol kjdm
                gy ,d jalh kjdm ks tsf{

                'Kt;sl

                On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Simba <simxmai@...> wrote:
                > Firstly, there are things that are easy for us to give to help others, but
                > there are things that can be easily found without having to ask others for
                > it (with the wonderful power of Google and YouTube). You're basically asking
                > someone to hand you something that's right beside you.
                >
                > And secondly, you want to get faster? Practice, practice, practice. Do I
                > need to repeat myself? Of course there are faster methods than others, but
                > praticing and mastering a method will ultimately give you faster times, if
                > you don't want to take forever to solve it.
                >
                > -Simba

              • shafiqdms
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
                  Woah! was that episode really filmed about a year and a half ago and
                  just aired now???

                  --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "sccuber" <sccuber@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Well, that took a while. I actually filmed this about a year and a
                  half ago.

                  > The solve was pretty normal, not easy or hard. I was really nervous,
                  so did some weird
                  > things. You can see me counting on my fingers. I'm not sure what I
                  was doing, but I've
                  > never done that in another solve. I DNFed because the parity, URF
                  DLB UF UL, was
                  > completely independent of the rest of permutation, just that single
                  two-swap. Finishing
                  > the rest of permutation I hadn't touched those pieces, so just
                  forgot about them. At the
                  > end my hand had slipped and I was trying to figure out what I'd
                  turned, so didn't think
                  > about other pieces.
                  >
                  > It was a fun experience, the producers were really nice, and I got
                  some money out of it so I
                  > can't complain. Thanks also to Adam Zamora for coming to the filming.
                  >
                  > And now you can see why I'll never learn the R perm. Adam was even
                  trying to teach me
                  > earlier that day.
                  >
                  > ABC's website sucks, but someone put it on youtube.
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF6sasEI_Lg
                  >
                  > And yes, I had had successful solves before.
                  >
                  > Chris
                  >
                  > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Grant Tregay"
                  <YahooGroups@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I just saw Chris Krueger attempt an underwater, blindfolded solve on
                  > > ABC's "Wanna Bet?". Even though you didn't quite make it (just
                  missed
                  > > one thing), I have to say I am very impressed - that's a lot of
                  > > pressure and a feat I haven't actually seen attempted/performed
                  before.

                  > > ABC's "Wanna Bet?" page -> http://tinyurl.com/6kfyk8
                  > >
                  > > In theory, you can also view full episodes on their site, though this
                  > > one may not yet be available, since it just aired...
                  > >
                  > > Enjoy!
                  > >
                  > > - Grant

                • stompey1
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 18, 2008
                    It's really a shame that yahoo groups forums don't have a sticky
                    thread option. Or would something like that cater too much to laziness?