Re: [Speed cubing group] Will V-CUBES go out of business?

  • Bart
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
      Who cares, I don't buy their products either. ;) Making a x2 or x3
      profit, a lot of companies do that. But this is cheap plastic* we're
      talking about. It's literally extruded from a machine. At $80 a pop,
      that's got to be like a x1000 markup or something. Maybe only a few
      hundred times markup and profit, but still, that's a heck of a markup.
      A company that wants to make that much profit off of me really
      doesn't deserve my business. So I'm waiting until the price comes
      down to something approaching reasonable.

      *Noting that this isn't food grade plastic and doesn't need to be
      since we aren't trying to store water inside for months on end and
      that otherwise there isn't a cheap/quality plastic dichotomy, just
      thick and thin.
    • Jameson OConnor
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
        After a few weeks, I think that they will drop their
        prices when the market settles. I doubt that they
        will permanently go out of business. Maybe just
        between inventions. I mean, they still have 8 more
        cubes to make, as they have planned, and a patent to
        do it with.
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Bart <banaticus@...>
          wrote:

          > Who cares, I don't buy their products either. ;) Making a x2 or x3
          > profit, a lot of companies do that. But this is cheap plastic*
          we're
          > talking about. It's literally extruded from a machine. At $80 a
          pop,
          > that's got to be like a x1000 markup or something. Maybe only a few
          > hundred times markup and profit, but still, that's a heck of a
          markup.
          > A company that wants to make that much profit off of me really
          > doesn't deserve my business. So I'm waiting until the price comes
          > down to something approaching reasonable.

          Oh, so you know how to get worldwide patents as well as the
          production machinery for free?

          Dipshit.

          Stefan
        • d_funny007
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
            In addition to what Stefan said, you somehow don't think they deserve
            such profits given that they had to spent years inventing these things
            to begin with. The engineer work they have put into it initially where
            unpaid hours, until the product is on the market. Then there is the
            business risk to factor in. So sure, they are "literally extruded from
            a machine", but have you even considered the capital required to
            purchase such machines or to create mold of the right quality.

            Clearly this Bart fellow has no clue what goes into something like this.

            I almost forgot... from what I know of Economics (took a couple
            classes in college), setting prices on products is usually done from
            surveying the market (determining what people are willing to pay at
            various quantities), and NOT on what profit margin they want. There
            are supply-demand curves to be considered. It then becomes an
            "optimization problem" like in calculus. Hence, they where smart in
            the bits of surveys they did on us a while back. From even the initial
            success of V-Cubes it is clear to me that these guys either know what
            they are doing or consulted the right people, and deserve whatever
            profits they are making. And if you don't think so then you don't have
            much faith in Free Market Capitalism.

            Given these points, it's more likely that most cubers desire a 7x7
            x1000 more than you, not that they don't deserve you business.

            -Doug

            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann"

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
              I was pretty much going to say something along the lines of Stefan, but he
              said it pretty well. I should probably clarify one part of his post though:

              Cheers!

              Dipshit.

            • Frank Morris
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                Stefan rules.

                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                  And really, I think they could charge higher.

                  You get ripped off every time you pay a dollar for a bottle of water... when
                  it's free from the tap.

                • varkmaster
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                    Bart's ideas about profit margin and opportunity cost are
                    interesting.

                    I spoke to my buddy who owns an injection molding plant in Honeyee
                    Falls, NY about it. I was going to see if he could produce
                    a "Pentultimate" a while back.

                    He told me, that having the mold produced is VERY expensive,
                    hundreds of thousands of dollars.

                    Back to Bart's point, the giant profit margin holds up only if you
                    look at "marginal cost" (the cost to produce one more puzzle). If I
                    had to guess, I would say, V-CUBES probably has a million dollars
                    invested in the 6x6 and 7x7 project.

                    Since V-CUBES probably has HUGE fixed/sunk costs. The AVRAGE cost
                    of producing a V-CUBE is huge for the 1st production run. The
                    cubes probably cost $1,000 / each – average cost.

                    I don't think their markup or profit margin matters. Since V-CUBES
                    has the only 6x6 and 7x7 on the market, they are probably using the
                    profit maximizing formula for a monopoly (marginal cost = marginal
                    revenue = half the slope of the demand curve).

                    Since they are a monopoly, the price will be determined ONLY by the
                    demand. Their profit margin makes no difference.

                    wrote:

                    > Who cares, I don't buy their products either. ;) Making a x2 or x3
                    > profit, a lot of companies do that. But this is cheap plastic*
                    we're
                    > talking about. It's literally extruded from a machine. At $80 a
                    pop,
                    > that's got to be like a x1000 markup or something. Maybe only a
                    few
                    > hundred times markup and profit, but still, that's a heck of a
                    markup.
                    > A company that wants to make that much profit off of me really
                    > doesn't deserve my business. So I'm waiting until the price comes
                    > down to something approaching reasonable.
                    >
                    > *Noting that this isn't food grade plastic and doesn't need to be
                    > since we aren't trying to store water inside for months on end and
                    > that otherwise there isn't a cheap/quality plastic dichotomy, just
                    > thick and thin.

                  • bryanlogancube
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                      wrote:
                      > A company that wants to make that much profit off of me really
                      > doesn't deserve my business.

                      I'm guessing you never eat out or buy soda?

                      > there isn't a cheap/quality plastic dichotomy, just
                      > thick and thin.

                      My kids have a bunch of plastic toys. They're kind of bendy and soft.
                      However, I think if I had a cube made of this soft plastic, it would
                      suck. And since there's no quality dichotomy (congratulations on
                      using the big word), then why is the plastic used for CD cases
                      constantly cracking? I've seen plastic that thin withstand much more
                      force.
                    • Bart
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                        None of us are likely to chew on these cubes, right? So they don't
                        have to be made out of the same plastic as a kid's toy.

                        As to the other replies, you have your opinion (and really like
                        spending a lot of money on bits of plastic) and I have my opinion.
                        More power to you -- that's part of the American dream, go ahead and
                        spend your money in whatever way makes you happy. :) As for me, I'm
                        going to either wait until the price comes down or give these a pass.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                          I'm trying to figure out if you buy *anything*.

                          2008/7/1 Bart <banaticus@...>:

                          > None of us are likely to chew on these cubes, right? So they don't
                          > have to be made out of the same plastic as a kid's toy.
                          >
                          > As to the other replies, you have your opinion (and really like
                          > spending a lot of money on bits of plastic) and I have my opinion.
                          > More power to you -- that's part of the American dream, go ahead and
                          > spend your money in whatever way makes you happy. :) As for me, I'm
                          > going to either wait until the price comes down or give these a pass.
                          >
                          > 2008/7/1 bryanlogancube <no_reply@yahoogroups.com<no_reply%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > >:
                          >
                          > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com<speedsolvingrubikscube%40yahoogroups.com>,
                          > Bart <banaticus@...>
                          > > wrote:
                          > >> A company that wants to make that much profit off of me really
                          > >> doesn't deserve my business.
                          > >
                          > > I'm guessing you never eat out or buy soda?
                          > >

                          > >> there isn't a cheap/quality plastic dichotomy, just
                          > >> thick and thin.
                          > >
                          > > My kids have a bunch of plastic toys. They're kind of bendy and soft.
                          > > However, I think if I had a cube made of this soft plastic, it would
                          > > suck. And since there's no quality dichotomy (congratulations on
                          > > using the big word), then why is the plastic used for CD cases
                          > > constantly cracking? I've seen plastic that thin withstand much more
                          > > force.

                        • Ryan Heise
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                            Bart wrote:

                            > As to the other replies, you have your opinion (and really like
                            > spending a lot of money on bits of plastic) and I have my opinion.
                            > More power to you -- that's part of the American dream

                            This is an international forum, by the way.

                            --
                            Ryan Heise
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                              1 AUD = 0.9550 USD

                              Probably a few more months and it'll reach parity, but I don't think it will
                              stay there.

                              On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Ryan Heise <forum@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Bart wrote:
                              >
                              > > As to the other replies, you have your opinion (and really like
                              > > spending a lot of money on bits of plastic) and I have my opinion.
                              > > More power to you -- that's part of the American dream
                              >
                              > This is an international forum, by the way.
                              >
                              > --
                              > Ryan Heise

                            • Oliver Wolff
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                                Hi all,

                                I recived my cubes today (1x6 and 1x7) and I must say that the 7x7
                                turns smoother than any 3x3 I ever had or have today.
                                The 6x6 however is horrible, it´s very hard to turn as it stucks all
                                the time.The single pieces are not produced well and I have to cut
                                the rests of production at many pieces.
                                Concerning the prices: I think the cubes are a lot cheaper than most
                                of us expected and for me they are worth what I paid for them.

                                Olli

                                --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Tyson Mao"
                                <tyson.mao@...> wrote:

                                > 1 AUD = 0.9550 USD
                                >
                                > Probably a few more months and it'll reach parity, but I don't
                                think it will
                                > stay there.
                                >
                                > On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Ryan Heise <forum@...>
                                > wrote:
                                >
                                > > Bart wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > As to the other replies, you have your opinion (and really like
                                > > > spending a lot of money on bits of plastic) and I have my
                                opinion.
                                > > > More power to you -- that's part of the American dream
                                > >
                                > > This is an international forum, by the way.
                                > >
                                > > --
                                > > Ryan Heise

                              • Eric Brunson
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                                  <tyson.mao@...> wrote:

                                  > 1 AUD = 0.9550 USD
                                  >
                                  > Probably a few more months and it'll reach parity,

                                  I have an algorithm to fix that. ;-)

                                  e.

                                  > but I don't think it will
                                  > stay there.
                                  >
                                  > On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Ryan Heise <forum@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Bart wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > As to the other replies, you have your opinion (and really like
                                  > > > spending a lot of money on bits of plastic) and I have my opinion.
                                  > > > More power to you -- that's part of the American dream
                                  > >
                                  > > This is an international forum, by the way.
                                  > >
                                  > > --
                                  > > Ryan Heise

                                • Shelley Chang
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                                    Ok, so if V-cubes are so cheap to produce, why don't you make some
                                    yourself and save money?

                                    That's right.