Re: [Speed cubing group] Will V-CUBES go out of business?

  • Alexander Goldberg
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 30 11:40 PM
      Bart: it looks like you've got your priorities in line.

      But I should ask, using an example just to make this clear:
      What does Pfizer markup their products for?
    • Bart
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
        Who cares, I don't buy their products either. ;) Making a x2 or x3
        profit, a lot of companies do that. But this is cheap plastic* we're
        talking about. It's literally extruded from a machine. At $80 a pop,
        that's got to be like a x1000 markup or something. Maybe only a few
        hundred times markup and profit, but still, that's a heck of a markup.
        A company that wants to make that much profit off of me really
        doesn't deserve my business. So I'm waiting until the price comes
        down to something approaching reasonable.

        *Noting that this isn't food grade plastic and doesn't need to be
        since we aren't trying to store water inside for months on end and
        that otherwise there isn't a cheap/quality plastic dichotomy, just
        thick and thin.
      • Jameson OConnor
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
          After a few weeks, I think that they will drop their
          prices when the market settles. I doubt that they
          will permanently go out of business. Maybe just
          between inventions. I mean, they still have 8 more
          cubes to make, as they have planned, and a patent to
          do it with.
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Bart <banaticus@...>
            wrote:

            > Who cares, I don't buy their products either. ;) Making a x2 or x3
            > profit, a lot of companies do that. But this is cheap plastic*
            we're
            > talking about. It's literally extruded from a machine. At $80 a
            pop,
            > that's got to be like a x1000 markup or something. Maybe only a few
            > hundred times markup and profit, but still, that's a heck of a
            markup.
            > A company that wants to make that much profit off of me really
            > doesn't deserve my business. So I'm waiting until the price comes
            > down to something approaching reasonable.

            Oh, so you know how to get worldwide patents as well as the
            production machinery for free?

            Dipshit.

            Stefan
          • d_funny007
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
              In addition to what Stefan said, you somehow don't think they deserve
              such profits given that they had to spent years inventing these things
              to begin with. The engineer work they have put into it initially where
              unpaid hours, until the product is on the market. Then there is the
              business risk to factor in. So sure, they are "literally extruded from
              a machine", but have you even considered the capital required to
              purchase such machines or to create mold of the right quality.

              Clearly this Bart fellow has no clue what goes into something like this.

              I almost forgot... from what I know of Economics (took a couple
              classes in college), setting prices on products is usually done from
              surveying the market (determining what people are willing to pay at
              various quantities), and NOT on what profit margin they want. There
              are supply-demand curves to be considered. It then becomes an
              "optimization problem" like in calculus. Hence, they where smart in
              the bits of surveys they did on us a while back. From even the initial
              success of V-Cubes it is clear to me that these guys either know what
              they are doing or consulted the right people, and deserve whatever
              profits they are making. And if you don't think so then you don't have
              much faith in Free Market Capitalism.

              Given these points, it's more likely that most cubers desire a 7x7
              x1000 more than you, not that they don't deserve you business.

              -Doug

              --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann"

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                I was pretty much going to say something along the lines of Stefan, but he
                said it pretty well. I should probably clarify one part of his post though:

                Cheers!

                Dipshit.

              • Frank Morris
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                  Stefan rules.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                    And really, I think they could charge higher.

                    You get ripped off every time you pay a dollar for a bottle of water... when
                    it's free from the tap.

                  • varkmaster
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                      Bart's ideas about profit margin and opportunity cost are
                      interesting.

                      I spoke to my buddy who owns an injection molding plant in Honeyee
                      Falls, NY about it. I was going to see if he could produce
                      a "Pentultimate" a while back.

                      He told me, that having the mold produced is VERY expensive,
                      hundreds of thousands of dollars.

                      Back to Bart's point, the giant profit margin holds up only if you
                      look at "marginal cost" (the cost to produce one more puzzle). If I
                      had to guess, I would say, V-CUBES probably has a million dollars
                      invested in the 6x6 and 7x7 project.

                      Since V-CUBES probably has HUGE fixed/sunk costs. The AVRAGE cost
                      of producing a V-CUBE is huge for the 1st production run. The
                      cubes probably cost $1,000 / each – average cost.

                      I don't think their markup or profit margin matters. Since V-CUBES
                      has the only 6x6 and 7x7 on the market, they are probably using the
                      profit maximizing formula for a monopoly (marginal cost = marginal
                      revenue = half the slope of the demand curve).

                      Since they are a monopoly, the price will be determined ONLY by the
                      demand. Their profit margin makes no difference.

                      wrote:

                      > Who cares, I don't buy their products either. ;) Making a x2 or x3
                      > profit, a lot of companies do that. But this is cheap plastic*
                      we're
                      > talking about. It's literally extruded from a machine. At $80 a
                      pop,
                      > that's got to be like a x1000 markup or something. Maybe only a
                      few
                      > hundred times markup and profit, but still, that's a heck of a
                      markup.
                      > A company that wants to make that much profit off of me really
                      > doesn't deserve my business. So I'm waiting until the price comes
                      > down to something approaching reasonable.
                      >
                      > *Noting that this isn't food grade plastic and doesn't need to be
                      > since we aren't trying to store water inside for months on end and
                      > that otherwise there isn't a cheap/quality plastic dichotomy, just
                      > thick and thin.

                    • bryanlogancube
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                        wrote:
                        > A company that wants to make that much profit off of me really
                        > doesn't deserve my business.

                        I'm guessing you never eat out or buy soda?

                        > there isn't a cheap/quality plastic dichotomy, just
                        > thick and thin.

                        My kids have a bunch of plastic toys. They're kind of bendy and soft.
                        However, I think if I had a cube made of this soft plastic, it would
                        suck. And since there's no quality dichotomy (congratulations on
                        using the big word), then why is the plastic used for CD cases
                        constantly cracking? I've seen plastic that thin withstand much more
                        force.
                      • Bart
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                          None of us are likely to chew on these cubes, right? So they don't
                          have to be made out of the same plastic as a kid's toy.

                          As to the other replies, you have your opinion (and really like
                          spending a lot of money on bits of plastic) and I have my opinion.
                          More power to you -- that's part of the American dream, go ahead and
                          spend your money in whatever way makes you happy. :) As for me, I'm
                          going to either wait until the price comes down or give these a pass.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                            I'm trying to figure out if you buy *anything*.

                            2008/7/1 Bart <banaticus@...>:

                            > None of us are likely to chew on these cubes, right? So they don't
                            > have to be made out of the same plastic as a kid's toy.
                            >
                            > As to the other replies, you have your opinion (and really like
                            > spending a lot of money on bits of plastic) and I have my opinion.
                            > More power to you -- that's part of the American dream, go ahead and
                            > spend your money in whatever way makes you happy. :) As for me, I'm
                            > going to either wait until the price comes down or give these a pass.
                            >
                            > 2008/7/1 bryanlogancube <no_reply@yahoogroups.com<no_reply%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > >:
                            >
                            > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com<speedsolvingrubikscube%40yahoogroups.com>,
                            > Bart <banaticus@...>
                            > > wrote:
                            > >> A company that wants to make that much profit off of me really
                            > >> doesn't deserve my business.
                            > >
                            > > I'm guessing you never eat out or buy soda?
                            > >

                            > >> there isn't a cheap/quality plastic dichotomy, just
                            > >> thick and thin.
                            > >
                            > > My kids have a bunch of plastic toys. They're kind of bendy and soft.
                            > > However, I think if I had a cube made of this soft plastic, it would
                            > > suck. And since there's no quality dichotomy (congratulations on
                            > > using the big word), then why is the plastic used for CD cases
                            > > constantly cracking? I've seen plastic that thin withstand much more
                            > > force.

                          • Ryan Heise
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                              Bart wrote:

                              > As to the other replies, you have your opinion (and really like
                              > spending a lot of money on bits of plastic) and I have my opinion.
                              > More power to you -- that's part of the American dream

                              This is an international forum, by the way.

                              --
                              Ryan Heise
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                                1 AUD = 0.9550 USD

                                Probably a few more months and it'll reach parity, but I don't think it will
                                stay there.

                                On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Ryan Heise <forum@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Bart wrote:
                                >
                                > > As to the other replies, you have your opinion (and really like
                                > > spending a lot of money on bits of plastic) and I have my opinion.
                                > > More power to you -- that's part of the American dream
                                >
                                > This is an international forum, by the way.
                                >
                                > --
                                > Ryan Heise

                              • Oliver Wolff
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                                  Hi all,

                                  I recived my cubes today (1x6 and 1x7) and I must say that the 7x7
                                  turns smoother than any 3x3 I ever had or have today.
                                  The 6x6 however is horrible, it´s very hard to turn as it stucks all
                                  the time.The single pieces are not produced well and I have to cut
                                  the rests of production at many pieces.
                                  Concerning the prices: I think the cubes are a lot cheaper than most
                                  of us expected and for me they are worth what I paid for them.

                                  Olli

                                  --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Tyson Mao"
                                  <tyson.mao@...> wrote:

                                  > 1 AUD = 0.9550 USD
                                  >
                                  > Probably a few more months and it'll reach parity, but I don't
                                  think it will
                                  > stay there.
                                  >
                                  > On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Ryan Heise <forum@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Bart wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > As to the other replies, you have your opinion (and really like
                                  > > > spending a lot of money on bits of plastic) and I have my
                                  opinion.
                                  > > > More power to you -- that's part of the American dream
                                  > >
                                  > > This is an international forum, by the way.
                                  > >
                                  > > --
                                  > > Ryan Heise

                                • Eric Brunson
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                                    <tyson.mao@...> wrote:

                                    > 1 AUD = 0.9550 USD
                                    >
                                    > Probably a few more months and it'll reach parity,

                                    I have an algorithm to fix that. ;-)

                                    e.

                                    > but I don't think it will
                                    > stay there.
                                    >
                                    > On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Ryan Heise <forum@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Bart wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > As to the other replies, you have your opinion (and really like
                                    > > > spending a lot of money on bits of plastic) and I have my opinion.
                                    > > > More power to you -- that's part of the American dream
                                    > >
                                    > > This is an international forum, by the way.
                                    > >
                                    > > --
                                    > > Ryan Heise

                                  • Shelley Chang
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 1, 2008
                                      Ok, so if V-cubes are so cheap to produce, why don't you make some
                                      yourself and save money?

                                      That's right.