[Speed cubing group] Re: Ron's puzzle and Chris's interesting observation(s)

  • _jaap
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30 11:23 PM
      Jake wrote:
      > I figured out that no sequence of moves can ever 'leave behind'
      > (when executed twice) just a flip of two edges or just a twist
      > of two corners.

      Maybe I'm lifting this out of context, or you are using some extra
      restrictions, but this is not true. Try:
      U' L2 R2 D' F2 D' L' R F U2 F' L' R U'
      twice for a edge pair flip, or this classic:
      L' F2 L U' B2 U
      twice for a corner pair twist.

      Jaap
    • Jacob Enget
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2003
        Hello,

        d_j_salvia wrote:

        "How did you find these algorithms? More to the point, how did you
        recognize them when they'd been done once?"

        -I didn't actually invent them myself (I wish I had that capacity though). I just figured out what I wanted the cube to look like, so that perfoming twice the sequence that got us there would produce the desired outcome. Then I used "Cube Explorer" to find the algorithms that would generate the cube that I had constructed. I don't know if you've had the joy of working with 'cube explorer' before, but I've found it to be extremely useful. You can download this at www.home.t-online.de/home/Kociemba/cube.htm or, as I usually do, you can follow the link off of Jessica Fridrich's web page.

        Jaap wrote:

        "Maybe I'm lifting this out of context, or you are using some extra
        restrictions, but this is not true. Try:
        U' L2 R2 D' F2 D' L' R F U2 F' L' R U'
        twice for a edge pair flip, or this classic:
        L' F2 L U' B2 U
        twice for a corner pair twist."

        -you are right. I was working with sequences that were only allowed to flip/twist pieces if they also moved them. With this restriction my statement is correct...but I was wrong in assuming that this covered all possible sequences, so I was forgetting that I'd restricted myself....I'm feeling a little ignorant at this point.

        -Jake

        --- message from "d_j_salvia" <d_j_salvia@...> attached: