New Mexico, USA Rubik's Cube Competition

  • finalfantasy2012
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2008
      Hello,
      I am new to this group, so hello everyone, I was wondering if there
      is anyone in the state New Mexico, where I live, that is willing to
      help me organize a competition in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I only have
      ideas of what a cube competition is like. I currently have never been
      to one. So any suggestions by anybody would be greatly appreciated. I
      have read all regulations of WCA. I plan on having probably only 3
      categories (Rubik's cube, One-handed, Blindfold). These seem to be the
      most popular. Also if anybody knows any company in New Mexico or some
      organization that may be interested in sponsoring this event please
      tell me. Also I am not sure of what the turnout will be, there is I
      believe 600,000 some odd people in Albuquerque, so that might give you
      an idea of how many cubers will come if you compare it to other
      competitions held in cities that have this population. Again thanks and
      all suggestions are welcome!
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2008
        Duane Call might be a fellow cuber? That name lurks in the back of my
        head. You should have written to his group in 2005! I was in Socorro, New
        Mexico doing research that summer.

        -Tyson

        On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 9:12 PM, finalfantasy2012 <finalfantasy2012@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I am new to this group, so hello everyone, I was wondering if there
        > is anyone in the state New Mexico, where I live, that is willing to
        > help me organize a competition in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I only have
        > ideas of what a cube competition is like. I currently have never been
        > to one. So any suggestions by anybody would be greatly appreciated. I
        > have read all regulations of WCA. I plan on having probably only 3
        > categories (Rubik's cube, One-handed, Blindfold). These seem to be the
        > most popular. Also if anybody knows any company in New Mexico or some
        > organization that may be interested in sponsoring this event please
        > tell me. Also I am not sure of what the turnout will be, there is I
        > believe 600,000 some odd people in Albuquerque, so that might give you
        > an idea of how many cubers will come if you compare it to other
        > competitions held in cities that have this population. Again thanks and
        > all suggestions are welcome!

      • bryanlogancube
        Message 3 of 23 , May 3, 2008
          Perhaps you could check with PJK and see if anyone from the Denver
          Open came up from New Mexico.

          http://pjkcubed.com/denver.html

          I'm trying to organize other competitions. Any lurkers out there want
          a competition in Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, or Iowa?

          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "finalfantasy2012"
          <finalfantasy2012@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          > I am new to this group, so hello everyone, I was wondering if there
          > is anyone in the state New Mexico, where I live, that is willing to
          > help me organize a competition in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I only have
          > ideas of what a cube competition is like. I currently have never been
          > to one. So any suggestions by anybody would be greatly appreciated. I
          > have read all regulations of WCA. I plan on having probably only 3
          > categories (Rubik's cube, One-handed, Blindfold). These seem to be the
          > most popular. Also if anybody knows any company in New Mexico or some
          > organization that may be interested in sponsoring this event please
          > tell me. Also I am not sure of what the turnout will be, there is I
          > believe 600,000 some odd people in Albuquerque, so that might give you
          > an idea of how many cubers will come if you compare it to other
          > competitions held in cities that have this population. Again thanks and
          > all suggestions are welcome!

        • Pat (PJK)
          Message 4 of 23 , May 3, 2008
            I am interested in going to New Mexico for a comp, depending on when it is.
            I don't think anyone from New Mexico went to the Denver Open.

            Bryan, I would be interested in a Minnesota comp if it was during the summer
            or Spring Break. Would it be in the Twin Cities?

            -Pat

            --
            My Webpage: http://www.pjkcubed.com
            Speedsolving Puzzles: http://www.speedsolving.com

          • thrawst
            Message 5 of 23 , May 3, 2008
              I've looked into this several times, the only thing stopping me is
              that it wouldn't be official, and I'm not certain about the Cubing
              population in New Mexico that would be interested & able to go.

              Otherwise i've asked the Explora museum in Albuquerque, and they seem
              very willing to hold one. Again the only thing stopping me is that it
              would be unofficial.
            • finalfantasy2012
              Message 6 of 23 , May 3, 2008
                Hello again, I will be responding to all messages in this singular
                message for reasons of convenience. Thank you for your suggestions.
                Just to say this first, I am hoping to make this official. It is my
                full intention of making this an official WCA competition. I have
                read the WCA regulations so with a list of other things I need a WCA
                delegate which I am not sure of how to get a WCA delegate to come.
                Before I can ask though I don't have a set date, time, or place. I
                will look into the Explora museum for the place. For the date and
                time, I am not sure of what would be good. It will probably on a
                Saturday. I was thinking maybe November or December or even early-mid
                2009. Time: No ideas. For the concerns of the cubing populaton, I am
                also unsure. I do not expect a large group of cubers, atleast 20
                hopefully. I will definately compete, I wanted to organize this comp.
                for the purpose of practice and bringing cubing into New Mexico. But
                like I was saying, with me and the few people I know that can solve
                the cube (all capable of under 2 minutes) there is probably like 5 of
                us. I am also teaching a few other friends the beginner's method so
                that and combined with any unknown amount of cubers in New Mexico
                (pop. 2 million) hopefully we can achieve 20 or more people. Also it
                would be great if anyone from other surrounding states would come
                (Denver, Texas, Utah, etc.) Wooh that's a lot of typing and my second
                time typing it I hit the back arrow the first time :(. But to finish
                it off thank you again for any suggestions and comments and support.
                Message 7 of 23 , May 3, 2008
                  I might be interested in going just for the green chili. Ooh... the green
                  chili. I miss New Mexico.

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 3, 2008
                    --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Tyson Mao"
                    <tyson.mao@...> wrote:

                    > I might be interested in going just for the green chili. Ooh... the
                    green
                    > chili. I miss New Mexico.

                    Yup the green chili is freaking awesome here. Of course the red chili
                    is too. Damn us New Mexicans can never choose between the two! Lol
                    that's why our state motto is "Red or green?" No joke!
                  • Shelley Chang
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 3, 2008
                      Depending on when it is, I might go. New Mexico is nice.

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 3, 2008
                        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Shelley Chang"
                        <shelchang@...> wrote:

                        > Depending on when it is, I might go. New Mexico is nice.

                        Thanks, I love it here, any suggestions on a date for the event?
                      • sccuber
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 3, 2008
                          If people are driving from SoCal I'll go. Assuming I'm in the country at the time.

                          -Chris

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 3, 2008
                            Augh, that drive? I did that 13 hour drive with no air conditioning in one
                            go. Then drove 13 hours from New Mexico to Dallas with a car full of timers
                            for the Caltech competition.

                            "Red or green?" I miss that too. my favorite place was this little
                            microbrewery called Socorro Springs.

                            Here are a couple of questions...

                            1. Where? You're talking about Albuquerque? Is it at a school, or some
                            other place? If it's at a school, are you talking about New Mexico Tech?

                            2. Do you have a venue picked out? If so, can you describe it to us? If
                            not, what are you considering. Will it cost you money?

                            3. What will this cost you?

                            4. What will you need from us? Timers? Anything else?

                            Why don't we start there before trying to figure out a date.

                            -Tyson

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 3, 2008
                              My apologies, you answered most of your questions earlier in that e-mail.
                              It was in a big lump, so my eyes just kind of drifted over it.

                              So, let's think about what month you'd want to host this competition. I
                              think May is too soon. And June is too soon. June isn't as bad, but we'd
                              be moving pretty fast there.

                              July is US Nationals, and I would like that month to be pretty clear in
                              terms of competitions. August looks good. What about Columbus Day weekend
                              in September? (Or is that October) Want to try and pick a three-day
                              weekend for this?

                              New Mexico is a new place, and people will need to travel.

                              Can you give us a website to the museum you are considering?

                              -Tyson

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 3, 2008
                                13? No way. I did Denver San Diego in 14.

                                --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Tyson Mao" <tyson.mao@...> wrote:

                                > Augh, that drive? I did that 13 hour drive with no air conditioning in one
                                > go. Then drove 13 hours from New Mexico to Dallas with a car full of timers
                                > for the Caltech competition.
                                >
                                > -Tyson
                              • finalfantasy2012
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 3, 2008
                                  Lol yeah sorry about that I put a lot of info into one message with
                                  no indents lol. Just of clarification on your questions.
                                  1. Albuquerque is the main city of New Mexico. Also to clarify for
                                  anybody that slept through US History in school, New Mexico is a US
                                  state. Trust me there have been many experiences with people that
                                  don't know this.
                                  2. I don't exactly remember who suggested it but somebody suggested
                                  the Explora Museum. So I don't know a great deal about it because I
                                  think I read that message today and I plan on calling and checking
                                  out the museum within a week or so. When I get updated I will update
                                  you.
                                  3. Cost to me? No idea actually, hopefully a minimal cost if the cost
                                  becomes too high I was thinking of looking for sponsors. But the only
                                  thing that might cost me money is timers and displays and possibly
                                  the actually place.
                                  4. I have one timer (with mat) and no displays. So how many timers
                                  would recommend I have 5? If you could provide as many timers as
                                  possible/needed and displays possible/needed I would greatly
                                  appreciate it. Excpet for that I need a WCA delegate. The rest of the
                                  team of judges and scramblers, etc. I'm sure some of my non-cubing
                                  friends wouldn't mind volunteering/they don't have a choice lol.

                                  Lastly a date. I agree with you anything before August would be
                                  cutting way too close! Dates to stay clear of: Thanksgiving,
                                  Christmas (if it were to be in December), um Halloween. But I
                                  definately like the notion of Columbus Day. A three-day weekend would
                                  be a great time to have it because like you mentioned travel. Also
                                  October is a good month not too far, where anticipation would drive
                                  me over the edge of insanity (I'm already currently at the edge :))
                                  but again it is far enough away from US Nationals and leaves us time
                                  to plan.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 3, 2008
                                    Sorry forgot to add this
                                    http://www.explora.us/ExploraPHP/english/index.php
                                    link to the Explora Museum. It's a really nice and fun place. I've been
                                    there but I will call them tomorrow if they're open and ask about
                                    details (price, space, availability, etc.)
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 4, 2008
                                      http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=San+Diego,+CA&daddr=Denver,+CO&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=61.845747,85.429688&ie=UTF8&z=5

                                      1.078 Miles

                                      http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Pasadena,+CA&daddr=Socorro,+NM&sll=36.24108,-111.237185&sspn=15.995451,21.357422&ie=UTF8&ll=34.813803,-112.368164&spn=16.279366,21.357422&z=5

                                      855 miles

                                      Guess I wasn't going as fast as you.

                                      On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 2:14 AM, sccuber <sccuber@...> wrote:

                                      > 13? No way. I did Denver San Diego in 14.
                                      >
                                      > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com<speedsolvingrubikscube%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                      > "Tyson Mao" <tyson.mao@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Augh, that drive? I did that 13 hour drive with no air conditioning in
                                      > one
                                      > > go. Then drove 13 hours from New Mexico to Dallas with a car full of
                                      > timers
                                      > > for the Caltech competition.
                                      > >
                                      > > -Tyson

                                    • Ole Petersen
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 4, 2008
                                        Are there a cube competition in Denmark?

                                        Tyson Mao <tyson.mao@...> skrev: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=San+Diego,+CA&daddr=Denver,+CO&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=61.845747,85.429688&ie=UTF8&z=5

                                        1.078 Miles

                                        http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Pasadena,+CA&daddr=Socorro,+NM&sll=36.24108,-111.237185&sspn=15.995451,21.357422&ie=UTF8&ll=34.813803,-112.368164&spn=16.279366,21.357422&z=5

                                        855 miles

                                        Guess I wasn't going as fast as you.

                                        On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 2:14 AM, sccuber <sccuber@...> wrote:

                                        > 13? No way. I did Denver San Diego in 14.
                                        >
                                        > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com<speedsolvingrubikscube%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                        > "Tyson Mao" <tyson.mao@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Augh, that drive? I did that 13 hour drive with no air conditioning in
                                        > one
                                        > > go. Then drove 13 hours from New Mexico to Dallas with a car full of
                                        > timers
                                        > > for the Caltech competition.
                                        > >
                                        > > -Tyson

                                      • shafiqdms
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 4, 2008
                                          Hey Tyson if you do go who's gonna pay money for the plane/car
                                          gas?...dont u live in NY?

                                          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Ole Petersen
                                          <ohyai2003@...> wrote:

                                          > Are there a cube competition in Denmark?
                                          >
                                          > Tyson Mao <tyson.mao@...> skrev:
                                          http://maps.google.com/maps?
                                          f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=San+Diego,+CA&daddr=Denver,+CO&sll=37.0625,-
                                          95.677068&sspn=61.845747,85.429688&ie=UTF8&z=5

                                          > 1.078 Miles
                                          >
                                          > http://maps.google.com/maps?
                                          f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Pasadena,+CA&daddr=Socorro,+NM&sll=36.24108,
                                          -111.237185&sspn=15.995451,21.357422&ie=UTF8&ll=34.813803,-
                                          112.368164&spn=16.279366,21.357422&z=5

                                          > 855 miles
                                          >
                                          > Guess I wasn't going as fast as you.
                                          >
                                          > On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 2:14 AM, sccuber <sccuber@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > 13? No way. I did Denver San Diego in 14.
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In
                                          speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com<speedsolvingrubikscube%
                                          40yahoogroups.com>,
                                          > > "Tyson Mao" <tyson.mao@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Augh, that drive? I did that 13 hour drive with no air
                                          conditioning in
                                          > > one
                                          > > > go. Then drove 13 hours from New Mexico to Dallas with a car
                                          full of
                                          > > timers
                                          > > > for the Caltech competition.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > -Tyson

                                        • Shelley Chang
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 4, 2008
                                            Why? Are you offering?

                                            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "shafiqdms"
                                            <shafiqdms@...> wrote:

                                            > Hey Tyson if you do go who's gonna pay money for the plane/car
                                            > gas?...dont u live in NY?
                                            >

                                            > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Ole Petersen
                                            > <ohyai2003@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Are there a cube competition in Denmark?
                                            > >
                                            > > Tyson Mao <tyson.mao@> skrev:
                                            > http://maps.google.com/maps?
                                            > f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=San+Diego,+CA&daddr=Denver,+CO&sll=37.0625,-
                                            > 95.677068&sspn=61.845747,85.429688&ie=UTF8&z=5
                                            > >
                                            > > 1.078 Miles
                                            > >
                                            > > http://maps.google.com/maps?
                                            > f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Pasadena,+CA&daddr=Socorro,+NM&sll=36.24108,
                                            > -111.237185&sspn=15.995451,21.357422&ie=UTF8&ll=34.813803,-
                                            > 112.368164&spn=16.279366,21.357422&z=5
                                            > >
                                            > > 855 miles
                                            > >
                                            > > Guess I wasn't going as fast as you.
                                            > >
                                            > > On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 2:14 AM, sccuber <sccuber@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > > 13? No way. I did Denver San Diego in 14.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > --- In
                                            > speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com<speedsolvingrubikscube%
                                            > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                                            > conditioning in
                                            > > > one
                                            > full of
                                            > > > timers

                                          • finalfantasy2012
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 4, 2008
                                              For anybody that's interested I called the Explora Museum today but
                                              they the lady that handles reservations and such only works Monday-
                                              Friday so tomorrow I will call her and look into the Explora Museum as
                                              the place for the competition. When i recieve more information I will
                                              relay back to you all. Thanks again!
                                            • bladez740
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 4, 2008
                                                <shafiqdms@...> wrote:

                                                > Hey Tyson if you do go who's gonna pay money for the plane/car
                                                > gas?...dont u live in NY?

                                                Didn't you know? Tyson's ballin'!

                                                Not ballin' enough to have, like, a place to live, but that's beside
                                                the point.
                                              • finalfantasy2012
                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 18, 2008
                                                  Hey guys it's been a long time since I've posted any information on
                                                  the possible New Mexico comp. so I hope no one has lost interest. ThO
                                                  have been busy because of finals that I have within the next three days
                                                  also I've been studying for them for a few weeks now. Lastly I have had
                                                  many projects due, end of the year projects.
                                                  I tried looking into the Explora Museum but everytime I call, the lady
                                                  that is in charge of reservations doesn't answer the phone and doesn't
                                                  call back. So I will keep trying.
                                                  I was thinking maybe the convention center or some kind of community
                                                  center. I will have time to call around at the end of this week and all
                                                  through the summer.