Memorized solve for impressing people?

  • kingnautilus
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
      I'm giving a speech on Hungarian culture and I'm going to use the
      Rubik's Cube as my attention-getting device in the beginning. My plan
      is to bring in a partially-solved Rubik's cube that looks pretty
      scrambled, and solve it in a matter of seconds, and go from there. If
      anybody could recommend me a scramble that leaves the Rubik's cube few
      moves from being solved, that would help me a lot. The goal is to
      impress the audience and get their attention.

      Also, if anybody happens to know anything about Hungarian culture, and
      can suggest more Hungarian contributions to the world, I would
      appreciate it. I have Franz Liszt (composer) and László Bíró
      (ballpoint pen inventor).

      Thanks and wish me luck on my speech! (Will be delivered
      extemporaneously this Thursday)
    • Guanyang Yu
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
        Yeah some people were talking about a very short mix here a couple of
        days ago. You can mix the cube with L R2 B2 F2 U' D' L' and solve it
        with L D U F2 B2 R2 L'.
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
          Well, I think you have a license to impress people, but don't cheat
          outrageously. In other words, don't do anything that's impossible.

          Sometimes people want a 15 second solve. Maybe you can't always do that,
          but you average 20 seconds. So with a practiced scramble, you can solve it
          using your normal method in 15 seconds because you know where things will
          end up as you go along.

          In other words, demonstrate the speed solve. Don't reverse a 7 move
          scramble, and have people think that that's how the world's best solve
          Rubik's Cubes, and they do it in 3 seconds.

          I think whatever you choose to do, you should be able to do it. It is
          merely the circumstance of doing it on the spot that makes it difficult, so
          you choose to mitigate this circumstance. But don't make us look like fools
          by having the world think that Rubik's Cubes are solved in 7 moves and in 3
          seconds.

          Even though Matyas is good, you can still tell he's human. I think.

          -Tyson

          On Jan 21, 2008 7:33 PM, Guanyang Yu <aceboy222@...> wrote:

          > Yeah some people were talking about a very short mix here a couple of
          > days ago. You can mix the cube with L R2 B2 F2 U' D' L' and solve it
          > with L D U F2 B2 R2 L'.

        • bladez740
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Tyson Mao"
            <tyson.mao@...> wrote:

            > Even though Matyas is good, you can still tell he's human. I think.
            >
            > -Tyson

            The eyes...look at the eyes...demonic.

            ;D
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
              A légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal

              On Jan 21, 2008 10:25 PM, bladez740 <blade740@...> wrote:

              > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com<speedsolvingrubikscube%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "Tyson Mao"
              >
              > <tyson.mao@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > Even though Matyas is good, you can still tell he's human. I think.
              > >
              > > -Tyson
              > >

              > The eyes...look at the eyes...demonic.
              >
              > ;D

            • bladez740
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
                You want a match?

                <tyson.mao@...> wrote:

                > A l�gp�rn�s haj�m tele van angoln�kkal
                >
                > On Jan 21, 2008 10:25 PM, bladez740 <blade740@...> wrote:
                >
                > > --- In
                speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com<speedsolvingrubikscube%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > > "Tyson Mao"
                > >
                > > <tyson.mao@> wrote:
                > > >

                > > > Even though Matyas is good, you can still tell he's human. I think.
                > > >
                > > > -Tyson
                > > >

                > > The eyes...look at the eyes...demonic.
                > >
                > > ;D

              • Lucas G.
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
                  > The eyes...look at the eyes...demonic.
                  How can you tell??? The blindfold is comes down over his eyes before you
                  have a chance to look at them!
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 22, 2008
                    How fast can you solve the cube without cheating?

                    Stefan

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 22, 2008
                      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann"
                      <pochmann@...> wrote:

                      > How fast can you solve the cube without cheating?
                      >
                      > Stefan

                      On my own maybe 40 seconds, in front of people probably about 1:30. I
                      have 4-6 minutes to deliver the speech. I just wanted a quick solve to
                      open with and gain attention
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 22, 2008
                        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com,
                        "kingnautilus" <iliekcaekk@...> wrote:

                        > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann"
                        > <pochmann@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > How fast can you solve the cube without cheating?
                        > >
                        > > Stefan
                        > >

                        > On my own maybe 40 seconds, in front of people probably about 1:30.
                        > have 4-6 minutes to deliver the speech. I just wanted a quick solve
                        > open with and gain attention

                        So you figured lying is a proper way to get attention?

                        Also, what's that about the "maybe" and "probably"? You don't know?
                        How about measuring it? And I don't believe you drop from 40 to 90
                        just because somebody's watching, that's a ridiculous drop.
                        Seriously, practice a few times in public and record the times.
                        You'll probably see you're not as slow as you think, and then you can
                        give an honest presentation and still have time for the speech. Btw,
                        most non-cubers are easily impressed even with a 60 seconds or so
                        solve (at least that's what I've heard).

                        Stefan
                      • kingnautilus
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 22, 2008
                          It's great that you're all so enthusiastic about cuber honesty and
                          all, but the speech is not entirely about the cube, it just uses it as
                          a quick opener. The attention-getting device should be only 10-15
                          seconds in length, and I cannot solve a cube within that time period.

                          I think I've decided to drop the cube idea from my speech
                        • Shelley Chang
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 22, 2008
                            Why don't you just solve the last layer or something? The transition
                            from a not solved cube to a solved cube is already an effective
                            attention grabber for a lot of people, and it wouldn't be
                            cheating/lying if they can see that the cube was partially solved to
                            begin with.

                            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "kingnautilus"
                            <iliekcaekk@...> wrote:

                            > It's great that you're all so enthusiastic about cuber honesty and
                            > all, but the speech is not entirely about the cube, it just uses it as
                            > a quick opener. The attention-getting device should be only 10-15
                            > seconds in length, and I cannot solve a cube within that time period.
                            >
                            > I think I've decided to drop the cube idea from my speech

                          • florianweingarten
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 22, 2008
                              > I think I've decided to drop the cube idea from my speech

                              If you use a computer to do the speed (present slides or something),
                              why dont you just show a video of a professional speedcuber?

                              Flo
                            • amiejl1981
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 22, 2008
                                It's great that you're so enthusiastic about your speech and all, but
                                cubing is not entirely about speech presentations.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 22, 2008
                                  <iliekcaekk@...> wrote:

                                  > It's great that you're all so enthusiastic about cuber honesty and
                                  > all, but the speech is not entirely about the cube, it just uses it as
                                  > a quick opener. The attention-getting device should be only 10-15
                                  > seconds in length, and I cannot solve a cube within that time period.
                                  >
                                  > I think I've decided to drop the cube idea from my speech

                                  I gave a speech involving the cube once, and instead of just solving
                                  it, then speaking, I decided to solve it the entire time I was
                                  speaking. At the very beginning, I passed it around, and a few people
                                  mixed it up. Then, the entire time I gave the speech, I was solving
                                  it one-handed. I watched the timing of the cube and my speech so that
                                  right when I delivered my closing point, I finished the cube and set
                                  it down on a table solved.

                                  The only problem: what happens if you get a PLL skip or something and
                                  it screws up your timing.
                                • Dan Dzoan
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 22, 2008
                                    I don't think I could give a speech in 25 seconds...
                                    -Dan

                                    --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "bladez740"
                                    <blade740@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "kingnautilus"
                                    > <iliekcaekk@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > It's great that you're all so enthusiastic about cuber honesty and
                                    > > all, but the speech is not entirely about the cube, it just uses it as
                                    > > a quick opener. The attention-getting device should be only 10-15
                                    > > seconds in length, and I cannot solve a cube within that time period.
                                    > >
                                    > > I think I've decided to drop the cube idea from my speech
                                    > >

                                    > I gave a speech involving the cube once, and instead of just solving
                                    > it, then speaking, I decided to solve it the entire time I was
                                    > speaking. At the very beginning, I passed it around, and a few people
                                    > mixed it up. Then, the entire time I gave the speech, I was solving
                                    > it one-handed. I watched the timing of the cube and my speech so that
                                    > right when I delivered my closing point, I finished the cube and set
                                    > it down on a table solved.
                                    >
                                    > The only problem: what happens if you get a PLL skip or something and
                                    > it screws up your timing.

                                  • bladez740
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 22, 2008
                                      ...showoff >_>

                                      Anyway, my speech was much longer than I average for OH cubing, I
                                      slowed way down (partially because I wasn't focusing on the cube).

                                      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Dzoan"
                                      <gvdlfs3@...> wrote:

                                      > I don't think I could give a speech in 25 seconds...
                                      > -Dan
                                      >
                                      > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "bladez740"
                                      > <blade740@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "kingnautilus"
                                      > > <iliekcaekk@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > It's great that you're all so enthusiastic about cuber honesty and
                                      > > > all, but the speech is not entirely about the cube, it just uses
                                      it as
                                      > > > a quick opener. The attention-getting device should be only 10-15
                                      > > > seconds in length, and I cannot solve a cube within that time
                                      period.

                                      > > > I think I've decided to drop the cube idea from my speech
                                      > > >

                                      > > I gave a speech involving the cube once, and instead of just solving
                                      > > it, then speaking, I decided to solve it the entire time I was
                                      > > speaking. At the very beginning, I passed it around, and a few people
                                      > > mixed it up. Then, the entire time I gave the speech, I was solving
                                      > > it one-handed. I watched the timing of the cube and my speech so that
                                      > > right when I delivered my closing point, I finished the cube and set
                                      > > it down on a table solved.
                                      > >
                                      > > The only problem: what happens if you get a PLL skip or something and
                                      > > it screws up your timing.

                                    • Lucas G.
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 23, 2008
                                        > I think I've decided to drop the cube idea from my speech
                                        How about showing a pretty pattern? I suggest starting from solved (so you
                                        make it clear you're not trying to impress them by solving), and I recommend
                                        cube-in-cube-in-cube: L'UR'F'UL2U2L'U'LU2DR'D'F2R2U'
                                        (or maybe cube-in-cube, if you think it's easier to see from far...)

                                        -Lucas Garron
                                      • Robert D. Johnson
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 18, 2008
                                          I did not see this until today. LRyLRyLR looks a bit random, and is
                                          very, very easy to undo -- especially behind your back so they cannot
                                          see how simple it is. They will realize it was a joke.

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 18, 2008
                                            Actually, recommend doing the inverse to mix, then LRyLRyLR to solve.
                                            It seems easier to solve that direction.

                                            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Robert D. Johnson"