My first solve was a blindfold solve

  • jeff_beltz
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
      I was by Macky to post something to this site, so here goes.

      It all started because I was speaking with a co-worker one day about
      the rubiks cube and how I had never figured out how to solve it. Well
      he convinced me to take Macky's challenge: "07/09: I'd like to see
      someone who doesn't know how to solve a cube learn to solve it
      blindfolded. Would some brave soul please give it a try? It really
      shouldn't be too hard. You'd be the only person in the world who can
      say, "I can solve a Rubik's Cube, but only blindfolded" (ok, of course
      you can use the blindfold method with you eyes open, but you know what
      I mean)."

      Well last night I finally successfully solved the cube for the first
      time and it was blindfolded. There were many failed attempts before
      that, and I started in July shortly after the challenge. So it only
      took me ~4 months to get a completed solve. Now in my defense, I have
      a wife and 2 kids (8 year old and a 16 month old), so I was only able
      dedicate a few hours a week to this. Plus I was very slow in actually
      memorizing the algorithms.

      The experience was both fun and frustrating at the same time. The
      frustrating part was of course thinking I had it solved then looking
      at the cube and seeing it just as scrambled as when I started. The
      funny thing is I have trouble looking at the cube now as I do the
      algorithms, as I had forced myself to practiced all of them with my
      eyes closed.

      ----- JNetCube Session Statistics for Sun Nov 04 22:47:27 EST 2007 -----

      Cubes Solved: 1
      Total Pops: 0
      Average: 22:03.16

      Fastest Time: 22:03.16
      Slowest Time: 22:03.16
      Standard Deviation: 00.00

      Individual Times:
      1) 22:03.16 U2 D' L U B2 U' R U D2 R2 L2 B U2 B' L2
      U' R B' U' B F' U F2 L' U'

      Resolution
      CCW: 245
      CW: 367
      EO: 802 (hex)
      CP: 275346
      EP: 16.27BC8A.39 (hex)

      Yes, it is slow but I am working on the speed (my first attempt which
      failed was 56 minutes).
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
        When you practiced the algorithms, how did you know whether you had
        executed them correctly?

        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com,
        "jeff_beltz" <jeff_beltz@...> wrote:

        > I was by Macky to post something to this site, so here goes.
        >
        > It all started because I was speaking with a co-worker one day about
        > the rubiks cube and how I had never figured out how to solve it.
        Well
        > he convinced me to take Macky's challenge: "07/09: I'd like to see
        > someone who doesn't know how to solve a cube learn to solve it
        > blindfolded. Would some brave soul please give it a try? It really
        > shouldn't be too hard. You'd be the only person in the world who can
        > say, "I can solve a Rubik's Cube, but only blindfolded" (ok, of
        course
        > you can use the blindfold method with you eyes open, but you know
        what
        > I mean)."
        >
        > Well last night I finally successfully solved the cube for the first
        > time and it was blindfolded. There were many failed attempts before
        > that, and I started in July shortly after the challenge. So it only
        > took me ~4 months to get a completed solve. Now in my defense, I
        have
        > a wife and 2 kids (8 year old and a 16 month old), so I was only
        able
        > dedicate a few hours a week to this. Plus I was very slow in
        actually
        > memorizing the algorithms.
        >
        > The experience was both fun and frustrating at the same time. The
        > frustrating part was of course thinking I had it solved then looking
        > at the cube and seeing it just as scrambled as when I started. The
        > funny thing is I have trouble looking at the cube now as I do the
        > algorithms, as I had forced myself to practiced all of them with my
        > eyes closed.
        >
        > ----- JNetCube Session Statistics for Sun Nov 04 22:47:27 EST 2007 -
        ----

        > Cubes Solved: 1
        > Total Pops: 0
        > Average: 22:03.16
        >
        > Fastest Time: 22:03.16
        > Slowest Time: 22:03.16
        > Standard Deviation: 00.00
        >
        > Individual Times:
        > 1) 22:03.16 U2 D' L U B2 U' R U D2 R2 L2 B U2 B'
        L2
        > U' R B' U' B F' U F2 L' U'
        >
        > Resolution
        > CCW: 245
        > CW: 367
        > EO: 802 (hex)
        > CP: 275346
        > EP: 16.27BC8A.39 (hex)
        >
        > Yes, it is slow but I am working on the speed (my first attempt
        which
        > failed was 56 minutes).

      • Joël van Noort
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
          Hi,

          Execute the algorithms on a scrambled cube and track all the
          stickers?

          + Hope that you dont accidentally get into the solved state, of
          course. That would suck, if you tried Macky's challenge ;).

          Congratz on your first solve, though, Jeff ;)

          - Joël.

          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann"
          <pochmann@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > eyes closed.
          > >
          > > ----- JNetCube Session Statistics for Sun Nov 04 22:47:27 EST
          2007 -
          > ----
          > >
          > > Cubes Solved: 1
          > > Total Pops: 0
          > > Average: 22:03.16
          > >
          > > Fastest Time: 22:03.16
          > > Slowest Time: 22:03.16
          > > Standard Deviation: 00.00
          > >
          > > Individual Times:
          > > 1) 22:03.16 U2 D' L U B2 U' R U D2 R2 L2 B U2
          B'
          > L2
          > > U' R B' U' B F' U F2 L' U'
          > >
          > > Resolution
          > > CCW: 245
          > > CW: 367
          > > EO: 802 (hex)
          > > CP: 275346
          > > EP: 16.27BC8A.39 (hex)
          > >
          > > Yes, it is slow but I am working on the speed (my first attempt

        • James Stuber
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
            Congratulations!
            How did you do the scramble given above without a solved cube? Did you have
            someone else solve it first?

          • Clancy Cochran
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
              i think it would easy to follow along with the solution book or a website to solve it regularly without knowing the full method, then apply the scramble. i'm sure he means its his first solve without some sort of cheat sheet or external help. either that or he just buys a new one everytime :)

              James Stuber <jestuber@...> wrote: Congratulations!

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                One of the first things I had to do was be able to recognize the colors
                for each of my positions. I used the numbering scheme on
                http://www.cubefreak.net I chose blue as my top and green as my
                front, mainly because the java app on http://www.cubefreak.net had the
                cube oriented that way and it was easier for me to visualize what the
                algorithms were doing and what it should look like when it was done.

                I practice the algorithms on both a solved cube and a scrambled cube.
                Practicing means I was looking at the algorithm on a cheat sheet and
                executing them on the cube under the table. Of course I looked after I
                had executed the algorithm to see if I done it right. If I ended up
                scrambling it accidentally while practicing an algorithm on a solved
                cube (which happened quite a few times) I had co-worker, Mike Hughey
                solve it for me.

                Initially I stared with only the corner algorithms until I had those
                algorithms memorized. I even tried solving just the corners on a 3x3,
                which I guess technically was a blindfold 2x2.

                Then I worked on edges which took me a while, but I didn't try just
                solving the edges on a scrambled cube. If I needed the cube solved I
                gave it to Mike and he solved it.

                When I was actually trying to solve it blindfolded and failed, Mike, who
                is very patient, would solve it so I could scramble it again. Initially
                I was just messing it up randomly, then he pointed me to JNetCube which
                I started using.

                Of course technically I could after having memorized all the algorithms
                (or just some of the really key one) could have solved it sighted, I
                just didn't solve one unless it was blindfolded.

                --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Clancy Cochran
                <perscription_death@...> wrote:

                > i think it would easy to follow along with the solution book or a
                website to solve it regularly without knowing the full method, then
                apply the scramble. i'm sure he means its his first solve without some
                sort of cheat sheet or external help. either that or he just buys a new
                one everytime :)

                > James Stuber jestuber@... wrote:
                Congratulations!
                > How did you do the scramble given above without a solved cube? Did
                you have
                > someone else solve it first?

              • Michiel van der Blonk
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                  I'd hate to have been the other guy. "did you mess it up again, you
                  blindfold dummy?!"

                  Michiel
                  http://vanderblonk.com

                  <jeff_beltz@...> wrote:
                  > When I was actually trying to solve it blindfolded and failed, Mike,
                  who is very patient, would solve it so I could scramble it again.
                • Alexander Goldberg
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                    I noticed you memorized with hexadecimals. At the US Open I heard
                    Mike explain how he used them to memorize orientations. Makes sense
                    now that you know him; I haven't seen others use the same method.

                    Congratulations. Quite an achievement.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 7, 2007
                      Quite the contrary! Why do you think Mike made Jeff do this? He was
                      bored of scrambling for himself and wanted someone else to do it for
                      him.

                      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Michiel van der

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 7, 2007
                        Pure genius.