PHP solver finished

  • Joël van Noort
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 4, 2007
      Hello everybody,

      My PHP solver is just about finished. It's really nothing special,
      and the code got pretty messy, but I am so glad that it works, that
      I just wanted to share this :).

      I just tested with 10 pseudo random scrambles, and the average move
      count of the solutions was 56 moves. The solutions range from 50-60,
      with some lower and higher scores.

      The script can be found here (there is no link on my home-page yet):
      http://solvethecube.110mb.com/?location=solver

      If you want to generate a string with 54 letters (to use as input),
      you can go here:

      http://solvethecube.110mb.com/?location=view

      Enter a scramble, click the radio button "GENERATOR", and click go!.
      On the bottom of the page you will find a sticker code that you can
      use as input for the solver.

      You can also use these, if you like:

      byrorrggwbogwgoowyyobywbggrrrobobgyobgyrbwwboygwwyyrrw
      owbyryrrowryggobrybywywwwworrggowbgrwbgobbgoyobgoygybr

      About the script: I am very happy that I managed to make this
      script. I learned a lot from it, and I have plenty of ideas about
      how to make it better, if I were to do it again!

      - Joël.
    • Pedro
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 4, 2007
        Nice work, Joël : )

        I tried this scramble: (x2) D' L' B' L2 R U2 B R' D2 B' L' R2 B2 L R' B2 U F' D' R' B L2 R2 D2 L2 (x2)

        and it gave me this:
        B U F2 L' F' U L D' U R U R2 U R' U R' U2 F2 B2 D' R' U2 D2 L D L2 R2 B' F' D2 B F' R2 L2 U2 R2 L2 R2 L2 U D' F2 B2 F2 R2 D' L2 R2 U L2 F2 U D2

        the statistics say "Total (including cancelations) 53"

        if I understood correctly, it "knows" there are cancelations but it's not cancelling the moves...is it that?

        if so, why wouldn't you do it? O.o you can cancel some parts there, like
        ...U2 R 2 L2 R2 L2 U...
        and
        ...D' F2 B2 F2 R2...

        and get 53-4-2 = 47 moves :)

        or did I understand it all wrong?

        Pedro

        Joël van Noort <joel_vn@...> escreveu: Hello everybody,

[...]

      • jeff17237
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 4, 2007
          Quick question -- how should i input R'2? when i input R'2L2, the
          picture on top only shows L2, but when i click it, the applet shows the
          the moves R'2L2 correctly.

          BTW, very nice job!
          jeff
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
            What method are you using now? It's surely not complete
            Thistlethwaite, since that should lead to a maximum of 45 moves and
            an average of 31.3 moves, even before canceling moves between the
            four steps.

            For the solution display, why not use one applet instead of those
            many images? Then it's also easy to follow for people who don't even
            know the notation or who don't want to toggle between looking at the
            cube image and the move written on the side. Especially if you
            consider the noncuber who has to compare his own cube with the cube
            image after every move and thus even looks away from the screen and
            could look back at the screen at a wrong row. An applet would solve
            all these issues.

            If you want to keep the images, an improvement would be to draw
            arrows *on* the images.

          • Joël van Noort
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
              Hi Jeff,

              The notation that my algorithm viewer supports is a lot simpler than
              the applet. I didn't feel need to code it so it recognises 2',
              because R2 and R2' are basically the same. You can only add 1 extra
              symbol to a move, either ' or 2. The information IS transported to
              the applet though, which does support R2'.

              - Joël.

              --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, jeff17237
              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Quick question -- how should i input R'2? when i input R'2L2, the
              > picture on top only shows L2, but when i click it, the applet shows
              the
              > the moves R'2L2 correctly.
              >
              > BTW, very nice job!
              > jeff

            • Joël van Noort
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                Hi Stefan,

                You read my mind.

                I didn't put the link to the solver on the main page yet, because I
                want to make it more user friendly, and add these features, such as
                an applet and a description of the notation, and quite possibly a
                more n00b-friendly notation.

                - Joël.

                --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann"
                <pochmann@...> wrote:

                > What method are you using now? It's surely not complete
                > Thistlethwaite, since that should lead to a maximum of 45 moves and
                > an average of 31.3 moves, even before canceling moves between the
                > four steps.
                >
                > For the solution display, why not use one applet instead of those
                > many images? Then it's also easy to follow for people who don't
                even
                > know the notation or who don't want to toggle between looking at
                the
                > cube image and the move written on the side. Especially if you
                > consider the noncuber who has to compare his own cube with the cube
                > image after every move and thus even looks away from the screen and
                > could look back at the screen at a wrong row. An applet would solve
                > all these issues.
                >
                > If you want to keep the images, an improvement would be to draw
                > arrows *on* the images.

              • Joël van Noort
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Hi Pedro,

                  Yeah, you are right. I got tired of all the scripting at the end, so
                  I just uploaded the script, but I can still adjust it and modify it a
                  bit. In this case, it cancels U'U2 for example, but not sequences
                  like U D U2. I'll work on that.

                  - Joël.

                  --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Pedro <pedrosino1@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Nice work, Joël : )
                  >
                  > I tried this scramble: (x2) D' L' B' L2 R U2 B R' D2 B' L' R2 B2 L
                  R' B2 U F' D' R' B L2 R2 D2 L2 (x2)

                  > and it gave me this:
                  > B U F2 L' F' U L D' U R U R2 U R' U R' U2 F2 B2 D' R' U2 D2 L D L2
                  R2 B' F' D2 B F' R2 L2 U2 R2 L2 R2 L2 U D' F2 B2 F2 R2 D' L2 R2 U L2
                  F2 U D2

                  > the statistics say "Total (including cancelations) 53"
                  >
                  > if I understood correctly, it "knows" there are cancelations but
                  it's not cancelling the moves...is it that?

                  > if so, why wouldn't you do it? O.o you can cancel some parts there,
                  like
                  > ...U2 R 2 L2 R2 L2 U...
                  > and
                  > ...D' F2 B2 F2 R2...
                  >
                  > and get 53-4-2 = 47 moves :)
                  >
                  > or did I understand it all wrong?
                  >
                  > Pedro
                  >
                  > Joël van Noort <joel_vn@...>
                  escreveu: Hello everybody,

                  > My PHP solver is just about finished. It's really nothing special,
                  > and the code got pretty messy, but I am so glad that it works,
                  that
                  > I just wanted to share this :).
                  >
                  > I just tested with 10 pseudo random scrambles, and the average
                  move
                  > count of the solutions was 56 moves. The solutions range from 50-
                  60,
                  > with some lower and higher scores.
                  >
                  > The script can be found here (there is no link on my home-page
                  yet):
                  > http://solvethecube.110mb.com/?location=solver
                  >
                  > If you want to generate a string with 54 letters (to use as
                  input),
                  > you can go here:
                  >
                  > http://solvethecube.110mb.com/?location=view
                  >
                  > Enter a scramble, click the radio button "GENERATOR", and click
                  go!.
                  > On the bottom of the page you will find a sticker code that you
                  can
                  > use as input for the solver.
                  >
                  > You can also use these, if you like:
                  >
                  > byrorrggwbogwgoowyyobywbggrrrobobgyobgyrbwwboygwwyyrrw
                  > owbyryrrowryggobrybywywwwworrggowbgrwbgobbgoyobgoygybr
                  >
                  > About the script: I am very happy that I managed to make this
                  > script. I learned a lot from it, and I have plenty of ideas about
                  > how to make it better, if I were to do it again!
                  >
                  > - Joël.

                • Joël van Noort
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                    Hi Jeff,

                    By coincidence, I found that R2' does work (which I believe is a
                    more common notation than R'2 anyway). Both the applet and image
                    respond correctly to this.

                    - Joël.

                    --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Joël van Noort
                    <joel_vn@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Jeff,
                    >
                    > The notation that my algorithm viewer supports is a lot simpler
                    than
                    > the applet. I didn't feel need to code it so it recognises 2',
                    > because R2 and R2' are basically the same. You can only add 1
                    extra
                    > symbol to a move, either ' or 2. The information IS transported to
                    > the applet though, which does support R2'.
                    >
                    > - Joël.
                    >

                    > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, jeff17237
                    > <no_reply@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Quick question -- how should i input R'2? when i input R'2L2,
                    the
                    > > picture on top only shows L2, but when i click it, the applet
                    shows
                    > the
                    > > the moves R'2L2 correctly.
                    > >
                    > > BTW, very nice job!
                    > > jeff

                  • Johannes Laire
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                      Stefan Pochmann wrote:
                      > What method are you using now?

                      I'd like to know, too. There are some things that I can't understand
                      in the solutions, for example it gives D2 L2 R2 D2 U2 L2 R2 U2 for the
                      solved state.

                      --
                      Johannes Laire
                    • Joël van Noort
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                        Hi Johannes,

                        I know it looks very unproffessional, but Cube Explorer give R R' as a
                        solution to a solved state...

                        I just thought it would be funny to have an identity algorithm for a
                        solved state... And.. Also, this is what cube explorer gave me for
                        this situation (believe it or not).

                        The method is:

                        1. Orient edges
                        2. Orient corners & bring E layer edges in E layer
                        3. Separate U/D layer pieces, first corners, then edges
                        4. Permute everything (first E layer, then U and D layer simultaneously).

                        I know it's not Thistlethwaite... The brute force searches were taking
                        too long (my fault, I know, inexperienced in this sort of
                        scripting/programming), so I decided to try a different approach. Now
                        that I am finished, I some ideas about how to do faster searches, but
                        don't feel any need to start writing that now. I am just happy that it
                        works.

                        - Joël.

                        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Johannes Laire"
                        <johannes.laire@...> wrote:

                        > Stefan Pochmann wrote:
                        > > What method are you using now?
                        >
                        > I'd like to know, too. There are some things that I can't understand
                        > in the solutions, for example it gives D2 L2 R2 D2 U2 L2 R2 U2 for the
                        > solved state.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Johannes Laire

                      • h_kociemba
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                          Yes, my Cube Explorer does the same if you let it solve the Identitiy
                          Cube *optimal*. Not really a bug, just a feature that it gives the
                          shortest nontrivial solution for Identity. So I will not change this
                          behaviour.

                          Herbert Kociemba

                          > I'd like to know, too. There are some things that I can't understand
                          > in the solutions, for example it gives D2 L2 R2 D2 U2 L2 R2 U2 for
                          the
                          > solved state.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Johannes Laire

                        • Joël van Noort
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                            Hi Herbert,

                            I didn't realise you came to this group!

                            Maybe I only notice it just now, because I've been working with cube
                            explorer recently. Anyway, cube explorer rocks!! Great program. I
                            also used to to generate solutions for a few cases for my solver.

                            - Joël.

                            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, h_kociemba
                            <no_reply@...> wrote:

                            > Yes, my Cube Explorer does the same if you let it solve the
                            Identitiy
                            > Cube *optimal*. Not really a bug, just a feature that it gives the
                            > shortest nontrivial solution for Identity. So I will not change
                            this
                            > behaviour.
                            >

                            > Herbert Kociemba
                            >
                            > > I'd like to know, too. There are some things that I can't
                            understand
                            > > in the solutions, for example it gives D2 L2 R2 D2 U2 L2 R2 U2
                            for
                            > the
                            > > solved state.
                            > >
                            > > --
                            > > Johannes Laire

                          • per_fredlund
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                              Hi Joel :-)

                              What if i just want to give the solver a scramble, not a sticker
                              configuration ??? I cannot see how to do this :-?

                              Greetz!!

                              -Per

                              > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Joël van Noort
                              <joel_vn@...> wrote:

                              > Hello everybody,
                              >
                              > My PHP solver is just about finished. It's really nothing special,
                              > and the code got pretty messy, but I am so glad that it works,
                              that
                              > I just wanted to share this :).
                              >
                              > I just tested with 10 pseudo random scrambles, and the average
                              move
                              > count of the solutions was 56 moves. The solutions range from 50-
                              60,
                              > with some lower and higher scores.
                              >
                              > The script can be found here (there is no link on my home-page
                              yet):
                              > http://solvethecube.110mb.com/?location=solver
                              >
                              > If you want to generate a string with 54 letters (to use as
                              input),
                              > you can go here:
                              >
                              > http://solvethecube.110mb.com/?location=view
                              >
                              > Enter a scramble, click the radio button "GENERATOR", and click
                              go!.
                              > On the bottom of the page you will find a sticker code that you
                              can
                              > use as input for the solver.
                              >
                              > You can also use these, if you like:
                              >
                              > byrorrggwbogwgoowyyobywbggrrrobobgyobgyrbwwboygwwyyrrw
                              > owbyryrrowryggobrybywywwwworrggowbgrwbgobbgoyobgoygybr
                              >
                              > About the script: I am very happy that I managed to make this
                              > script. I learned a lot from it, and I have plenty of ideas about
                              > how to make it better, if I were to do it again!
                              >
                              > - Joël.

                            • Norbert Hantos
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                                Hi,

                                See Tools on Joel's webpage: on "Imagecube HTML Code Generator" there
                                is an option: "Take me to the Algorithm Viewer!"
                                This transform you an algorithm to sticker configuration. Just
                                copy-paste ;)

                                --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "per_fredlund"
                                <per_fredlund@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Joel :-)
                                >
                                > What if i just want to give the solver a scramble, not a sticker
                                > configuration ??? I cannot see how to do this :-?
                                >
                                > Greetz!!
                                >
                                > -Per
                                >
                                > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Joël van Noort
                                > <joel_vn@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hello everybody,
                                > >
                                > > My PHP solver is just about finished. It's really nothing special,
                                > > and the code got pretty messy, but I am so glad that it works,
                                > that
                                > > I just wanted to share this :).
                                > >
                                > > I just tested with 10 pseudo random scrambles, and the average
                                > move
                                > > count of the solutions was 56 moves. The solutions range from 50-
                                > 60,
                                > > with some lower and higher scores.
                                > >
                                > > The script can be found here (there is no link on my home-page
                                > yet):
                                > > http://solvethecube.110mb.com/?location=solver
                                > >
                                > > If you want to generate a string with 54 letters (to use as
                                > input),
                                > > you can go here:
                                > >
                                > > http://solvethecube.110mb.com/?location=view
                                > >
                                > > Enter a scramble, click the radio button "GENERATOR", and click
                                > go!.
                                > > On the bottom of the page you will find a sticker code that you
                                > can
                                > > use as input for the solver.
                                > >
                                > > You can also use these, if you like:
                                > >
                                > > byrorrggwbogwgoowyyobywbggrrrobobgyobgyrbwwboygwwyyrrw
                                > > owbyryrrowryggobrybywywwwworrggowbgrwbgobbgoyobgoygybr
                                > >
                                > > About the script: I am very happy that I managed to make this
                                > > script. I learned a lot from it, and I have plenty of ideas about
                                > > how to make it better, if I were to do it again!
                                > >
                                > > - Joël.

                              • Joël van Noort
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                                  Hi,

                                  Yes, that's the way to do it...

                                  Possibly, I can add a text field that allows you to input a
                                  scramble. It should not be very hard, since most of the functions
                                  are already written. It's a good idea... (Basically the 2nd example
                                  already does this, it just generates a random scramble).

                                  So thanks for the suggestion, maybe I'll add that sometime.

                                  - Joël.

                                  --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Norbert Hantos"
                                  <renslay@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > See Tools on Joel's webpage: on "Imagecube HTML Code Generator"
                                  there
                                  > is an option: "Take me to the Algorithm Viewer!"
                                  > This transform you an algorithm to sticker configuration. Just
                                  > copy-paste ;)
                                  >

                                  > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "per_fredlund"
                                  > <per_fredlund@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi Joel :-)
                                  > >
                                  > > What if i just want to give the solver a scramble, not a sticker
                                  > > configuration ??? I cannot see how to do this :-?
                                  > >
                                  > > Greetz!!
                                  > >
                                  > > -Per
                                  > >
                                  > > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Joël van Noort
                                  > > <joel_vn@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Hello everybody,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > My PHP solver is just about finished. It's really nothing
                                  special,
                                  > > > and the code got pretty messy, but I am so glad that it works,
                                  > > that
                                  > > > I just wanted to share this :).
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I just tested with 10 pseudo random scrambles, and the average
                                  > > move
                                  > > > count of the solutions was 56 moves. The solutions range from
                                  50-
                                  > > 60,
                                  > > > with some lower and higher scores.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > The script can be found here (there is no link on my home-page
                                  > > yet):
                                  > > > http://solvethecube.110mb.com/?location=solver
                                  > > >
                                  > > > If you want to generate a string with 54 letters (to use as
                                  > > input),
                                  > > > you can go here:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > http://solvethecube.110mb.com/?location=view
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Enter a scramble, click the radio button "GENERATOR", and
                                  click
                                  > > go!.
                                  > > > On the bottom of the page you will find a sticker code that
                                  you
                                  > > can
                                  > > > use as input for the solver.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > You can also use these, if you like:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > byrorrggwbogwgoowyyobywbggrrrobobgyobgyrbwwboygwwyyrrw
                                  > > > owbyryrrowryggobrybywywwwworrggowbgrwbgobbgoyobgoygybr
                                  > > >
                                  > > > About the script: I am very happy that I managed to make this
                                  > > > script. I learned a lot from it, and I have plenty of ideas
                                  about
                                  > > > how to make it better, if I were to do it again!
                                  > > >
                                  > > > - Joël.

                                • Timothy Sun
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                                    Hey,

                                    Maybe it's possible to condense certain moves? For example, F B F =
                                    F2 B? I noticed this in the example solve you gave.

                                    <joel_vn@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi,
                                    >
                                    > Yes, that's the way to do it...
                                    >
                                    > Possibly, I can add a text field that allows you to input a
                                    > scramble. It should not be very hard, since most of the functions
                                    > are already written. It's a good idea... (Basically the 2nd example
                                    > already does this, it just generates a random scramble).
                                    >
                                    > So thanks for the suggestion, maybe I'll add that sometime.
                                    >
                                    > - Joël.
                                    >

                                    > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Norbert Hantos"
                                    > <renslay@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi,
                                    > >
                                    > > See Tools on Joel's webpage: on "Imagecube HTML Code Generator"
                                    > there
                                    > > is an option: "Take me to the Algorithm Viewer!"
                                    > > This transform you an algorithm to sticker configuration. Just
                                    > > copy-paste ;)
                                    > >

                                    > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "per_fredlund"
                                    > > <per_fredlund@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Hi Joel :-)
                                    > > >
                                    > > > What if i just want to give the solver a scramble, not a
                                    sticker
                                    > > > configuration ??? I cannot see how to do this :-?
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Greetz!!
                                    > > >
                                    > > > -Per

                                    > special,
                                    > > > that

                                    > > > move
                                    > 50-
                                    > > > 60,

                                    > > > yet):

                                    > > > input),

                                    > click
                                    > > > go!.
                                    > you
                                    > > > can

                                    > about

                                  • Joël van Noort
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                                      Maybe? Who knows..? It's sooo hard.. Just maybe, I'll pull it off :)

                                      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy Sun"
                                      <linkpoke@...> wrote:

                                      > Hey,
                                      >
                                      > Maybe it's possible to condense certain moves? For example, F B F
                                      =
                                      > F2 B? I noticed this in the example solve you gave.
                                      >

                                      > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Joël van Noort
                                      > <joel_vn@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi,
                                      > >
                                      > > Yes, that's the way to do it...
                                      > >
                                      > > Possibly, I can add a text field that allows you to input a
                                      > > scramble. It should not be very hard, since most of the
                                      functions
                                      > > are already written. It's a good idea... (Basically the 2nd
                                      example
                                      > > already does this, it just generates a random scramble).
                                      > >
                                      > > So thanks for the suggestion, maybe I'll add that sometime.
                                      > >
                                      > > - Joël.
                                      > >

                                      > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Norbert Hantos"
                                      > > <renslay@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Hi,
                                      > > >
                                      > > > See Tools on Joel's webpage: on "Imagecube HTML Code
                                      Generator"
                                      > > there
                                      > > > is an option: "Take me to the Algorithm Viewer!"
                                      > > > This transform you an algorithm to sticker configuration. Just
                                      > > > copy-paste ;)
                                      > > >

                                      > > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "per_fredlund"

                                      > sticker

                                      Noort

                                      > > special,
                                      > works,

                                      > average
                                      > > 50-

                                      > page

                                      > > click
                                      > > you

                                      > > about

                                    • per_fredlund
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 7, 2007
                                        Hi Joel :-)

                                        It is quite easy to code so that you transform for instance R L R2
                                        to R' L. Code a sequence tokenizer with axial control. You have the
                                        first part anyway. Assign RL FB UD to same axes.

                                        Example:

                                        Sequence: R L2 R U2 D2 U' ... (R2 L2 U D2 ...)

                                        Steps:

                                        R > add to RL axis - RL[1]=1
                                        L2 > add to RL axis - RL[2]=2
                                        R > add to RL axis - RL[1]=2(1+1)
                                        (switch here ... output from RL >> R2 L2, empty the axis too!!!)
                                        U2 > add to UD axis - UD[1]=2
                                        D2 > add to UD axis - UD[2]=2
                                        U' > add -1 to UD axis - UD[1]=1 (2-1)
                                        (switch ...)

                                        I promise you, this is EASIER to code than a solver ;-)

                                        -Per

                                      • Joël van Noort
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 7, 2007
                                          Yeah, Per. I know it's much easier than a solver.

                                          <per_fredlund@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi Joel :-)
                                          >
                                          > It is quite easy to code so that you transform for instance R L R2
                                          > to R' L. Code a sequence tokenizer with axial control. You have
                                          the
                                          > first part anyway. Assign RL FB UD to same axes.
                                          >
                                          > Example:
                                          >
                                          > Sequence: R L2 R U2 D2 U' ... (R2 L2 U D2 ...)
                                          >
                                          > Steps:
                                          >
                                          > R > add to RL axis - RL[1]=1
                                          > L2 > add to RL axis - RL[2]=2
                                          > R > add to RL axis - RL[1]=2(1+1)
                                          > (switch here ... output from RL >> R2 L2, empty the axis too!!!)
                                          > U2 > add to UD axis - UD[1]=2
                                          > D2 > add to UD axis - UD[2]=2
                                          > U' > add -1 to UD axis - UD[1]=1 (2-1)
                                          > (switch ...)
                                          >
                                          > I promise you, this is EASIER to code than a solver ;-)
                                          >
                                          > -Per
                                          >

                                          > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Joël van Noort
                                          > <joel_vn@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Maybe? Who knows..? It's sooo hard.. Just maybe, I'll pull it
                                          > off :)
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy Sun"
                                          > > <linkpoke@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Hey,
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Maybe it's possible to condense certain moves? For example, F
                                          > > =
                                          > > > F2 B? I noticed this in the example solve you gave.
                                          > > >

                                          > > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Joël van Noort

                                          > > functions
                                          > > example

                                          > Hantos"

                                          > > Generator"
                                          > Just

                                          speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "per_fredlund"

                                          > > > sticker

                                          > > Noort

                                          > nothing
                                          > > > works,

                                          > > > average
                                          > > from

                                          > home-
                                          > > > page

                                          > > as

                                          > and
                                          > > that

                                          > > this
                                          > > ideas

                                        • Joël van Noort
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 7, 2007
                                            Hi Pedro,

                                            I tried your scramble again;

                                            (x2) D' L' B' L2 R U2 B R' D2 B' L' R2 B2 L R' B2 U F' D'
                                            R' B L2 R2 D2 L2 (x2)

                                            it now gives a 46 move solution, because of more cancelations.

                                            Per, I added the option to put in a scramble.

                                            Bye!!

                                            <pedrosino1@...> wrote:

                                            > Nice work, Joël : )
                                            >
                                            > I tried this scramble: (x2) D' L' B' L2 R U2 B R' D2 B' L' R2 B2 L
                                            R' B2 U F' D' R' B L2 R2 D2 L2 (x2)

                                            > and it gave me this:
                                            > B U F2 L' F' U L D' U R U R2 U R' U R' U2 F2 B2 D' R' U2 D2 L D L2
                                            R2 B' F' D2 B F' R2 L2 U2 R2 L2 R2 L2 U D' F2 B2 F2 R2 D' L2 R2 U L2
                                            F2 U D2

                                            > the statistics say "Total (including cancelations)
                                            53"

                                            > if I understood correctly, it "knows" there are cancelations but
                                            it's not cancelling the moves...is it that?

                                            > if so, why wouldn't you do it? O.o you can cancel some parts
                                            there, like
                                            > ...U2 R 2 L2 R2 L2 U...
                                            > and
                                            > ...D' F2 B2 F2 R2...
                                            >
                                            > and get 53-4-2 = 47 moves :)
                                            >
                                            > or did I understand it all wrong?
                                            >
                                            > Pedro
                                            >
                                            > Joël van Noort <joel_vn@...>
                                            escreveu: Hello everybody,

                                            > My PHP solver is just about finished. It's really nothing
                                            special,
                                            > and the code got pretty messy, but I am so glad that it works,
                                            that
                                            > I just wanted to share this :).
                                            >
                                            > I just tested with 10 pseudo random scrambles, and the average
                                            move
                                            > count of the solutions was 56 moves. The solutions range from 50-
                                            60,
                                            > with some lower and higher scores.
                                            >
                                            > The script can be found here (there is no link on my home-page
                                            yet):
                                            > http://solvethecube.110mb.com/?location=solver
                                            >
                                            > If you want to generate a string with 54 letters (to use as
                                            input),
                                            > you can go here:
                                            >
                                            > http://solvethecube.110mb.com/?location=view
                                            >
                                            > Enter a scramble, click the radio button "GENERATOR", and click
                                            go!.
                                            > On the bottom of the page you will find a sticker code that you
                                            can
                                            > use as input for the solver.
                                            >
                                            > You can also use these, if you like:
                                            >
                                            > byrorrggwbogwgoowyyobywbggrrrobobgyobgyrbwwboygwwyyrrw
                                            > owbyryrrowryggobrybywywwwworrggowbgrwbgobbgoyobgoygybr
                                            >
                                            > About the script: I am very happy that I managed to make this
                                            > script. I learned a lot from it, and I have plenty of ideas about
                                            > how to make it better, if I were to do it again!
                                            >
                                            > - Joël.

                                          • per_fredlund
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 8, 2007
                                              Hi Joel :-)

                                              I looked at the solver again. Now it looks very good!! I, like Stefan
                                              did, wonder what is the solution strategy. I can see you do orient
                                              all then permute all. What i dont understand is: what exactly is the
                                              separation stage? And is your approach similar to what Zbibniew
                                              Zborowski (or Ron) has been doing??

                                              -Per