another noob question

  • jeff17237
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
      i have been wondering about this for a while. when i try to get the
      lowest number of moves for a solve, i count (for example) U2 as 2
      moves. according to official rules and in competitions, does U2 count
      as 2 separate turns or 1 since it is 2 turns on the same face?
      probably obvious, ust didnt know.

      thanks
      jeff
    • Kenneth Gustavsson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
        Depends on the metric. There are the quarter turn metric (QTM) counting
        only qouarter turns and there a U2 are two turns.

        But in half turn metric (HTM) there it is only one turn.

        There is also a slice turn metric (STM) and also a quarter for that
        (SQTM), both counting slice turns a one turn. Those are otherwise two
        turns M = R + L'

        // Kenneth

        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, jeff17237 <no_reply@...>
        wrote:

        > i have been wondering about this for a while. when i try to get the
        > lowest number of moves for a solve, i count (for example) U2 as 2
        > moves. according to official rules and in competitions, does U2
        count
        > as 2 separate turns or 1 since it is 2 turns on the same face?
        > probably obvious, ust didnt know.
        >
        > thanks
        > jeff

      • Corwin Shiu
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
          Any double turn is counted as 2, so yes, I2 is two turns. M,S,E -slice
          moves- are counted as two turns. Anti slice moves are counted as two
          turns. (Ra, Ua, Fa). Anything else is counted as 1 turn. Hope that helps.

          Corwin Shiu