Cubeneeze

  • segnet3745117
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28, 2007
      OK, time for Q: 3...
      Ive noticed a lot of abbreviations I don't understand.
      Like PLL, OLL, F2L tredge, dedge etc.

      I see these a lot in posts, and don't understand their meaning.
      this is just a few of them I've seen, would someone please be so kind
      as to explain them?

      I know that pll and oll have something to do with parity, again I
      don't really understand that one either, other than it's a common
      problem on big cubes.

      is there a cubeneeze Dictionary?
    • sccuber
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 28, 2007
      • Pedro
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 28, 2007
          Ok...let's go

          PLL = Permutation of Last Layer (correctly positioning the last layer pieces)
          OLL = Orientation of Last Layer (making the last layer pieces face the "right" way)
          F2L = First 2 Layers
          dedge = the pair of edges on the 4x4x4. You have 24 edges, that form 12 dedges
          tredge = the edges' triplet on the 5x5x5. There are 36 edges, that form 12 tredges

          something else?

          Pedro

          segnet3745117 <segnet3745117@...> escreveu: OK, time for Q: 3...
          Ive noticed a lot of abbreviations I don't understand.
          Like PLL, OLL, F2L tredge, dedge etc.

          I see these a lot in posts, and don't understand their meaning.
          this is just a few of them I've seen, would someone please be so kind
          as to explain them?

          I know that pll and oll have something to do with parity, again I
          don't really understand that one either, other than it's a common
          problem on big cubes.

          is there a cubeneeze Dictionary?

          Alertas do Yahoo! Mail em seu celular. Saiba mais.

        • Brian Le
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 28, 2007
            What is SD? =D

            segnet3745117 <segnet3745117@ yahoo.com> escreveu: OK, time for Q: 3...

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 28, 2007
              SD = Standard Deviation

              I don't have the formula right now, but you can google it...it's kinda how consistant your times are

              Pedro

              Brian Le <khoale1234567@...> escreveu: What is SD? =D

[...]

              Flickr agora em português. Você cria, todo mundo vê. Saiba mais.

            • Adam P. Larsen
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 28, 2007
                Right, pretty much all you need to know is that 68% of your times will
                fall within +/- one standard deviation of the mean, and 95% are within
                +/- two. It's just a measure of spread.

                Adam

                --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Pedro <pedrosino1@...>

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 28, 2007
                  Yeah... what HE said

                  --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Adam P. Larsen"
                  <aplarsen@...> wrote:

                  > Right, pretty much all you need to know is that 68% of your times
                  will
                  > fall within +/- one standard deviation of the mean, and 95% are
                  within
                  > +/- two. It's just a measure of spread.
                  >
                  > Adam
                  >
                  > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Pedro <pedrosino1@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > SD = Standard Deviation
                  > >
                  > > I don't have the formula right now, but you can google it...it's
                  > kinda how consistant your times are
                  > >
                  > > Pedro
                  > >
                  > > Brian Le <khoale1234567@> escreveu:
                  > What is SD? =D

                • segnet3745117
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 28, 2007
                    Thanks Pedro... Helps a lot! Boy did I have it wrong!
                    If I see more I'll post it here for clarification
                    Segnet

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
                      OK, I got another one for cubeing for dummies! (that'd be me)
                      whats a "Z-perm"?

                      (taken from another thread on this group)

                      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "segnet3745117"
                      <segnet3745117@...> wrote:

                      > Yeah... what HE said
                      >

                      > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Adam P. Larsen"
                      > <aplarsen@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Right, pretty much all you need to know is that 68% of your times
                      > will
                      > > fall within +/- one standard deviation of the mean, and 95% are
                      > within
                      > > +/- two. It's just a measure of spread.
                      > >
                      > > Adam
                      > >
                      > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Pedro <pedrosino1@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > SD = Standard Deviation
                      > > >
                      > > > I don't have the formula right now, but you can google it...it's
                      > > kinda how consistant your times are
                      > > >
                      > > > Pedro
                      > > >
                      > > > Brian Le <khoale1234567@> escreveu:
                      > > What is SD? =D

                    • jeff17237
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
                        a z-perm is a permutation that switches all 4 edges (usually) on the
                        last layer. it can be used to switch other edges, but in regular
                        cubing it usual is used in Permutation Last layer. It switches 2 edges
                        that are adjacent to each other (switched in pairs), but retains the
                        orientation of the entire cube. After that poor explanation, here is a
                        picture of it (thanks to Chris Hardwick for his wonderful site and
                        speedcubing.com) http://speedcubing.com/chris/images/p3.gif