Slides added to files section

  • Daniel Hayes
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2007
      I recently gave a seminar for a job I have applied for. The topic for
      the lecture was Group theory and the Rubik's cube, specifically
      different ways to attack the problem of determining the diameter of
      the cube group. At any rate, it wasn't too in depth, but I did make
      up a few projector slides and I have posted them in a zip file in the
      files section called "Seminar Slides.zip". If anyone has something
      similar to do you're welcome to use them!

      -Daniel Hayes
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2007
        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel
        Hayes" <swedishlf@...> wrote:

        > I recently gave a seminar for a job I have applied for. The topic
        for
        > the lecture was Group theory and the Rubik's cube, specifically
        > different ways to attack the problem of determining the diameter of
        > the cube group. At any rate, it wasn't too in depth, but I did make
        > up a few projector slides and I have posted them in a zip file in
        the
        > files section called "Seminar Slides.zip". If anyone has something
        > similar to do you're welcome to use them!
        >
        > -Daniel Hayes

        In "flip twist.doc" you make it look like you show "the" definition
        of orientations. That's considerably wrong, especially without
        providing a purpose.

      • Daniel Hayes
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2007
          I think I follow what you're saying: the slide gives the impression of
          a canonical definition for orientation of cubies when there are many
          ways to assign an orientation to them. Luckily I believe that within
          the context of the presentation the purpose for my choice of these
          designations was clear, but I can see how as an independent entity it
          may be somewhat confusing. Thanks for pointing that out.

          -Daniel