Re: [Speed cubing group] Re: F2L video

  • yahoogroups@chojin.neomagie.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
      On Apr 1, 2007, at 7:52 PM, Mike Carroll wrote:

      > Thank you so much Dan! :). Exactly how I wanted it.
      >
      > This is PERFECT. I can see everything clearly, and it has helped a
      > bunch.
      >
      > I plan on just watching and watching til' I can do it as well as you.
      >
      > Now... how do you scramble so quickly? There should be a tutorial on
      > that :D!
      I agree on that.
      With a scramble that fast, you don't even need to solve the
      rubik's cube to impress people ;)
      For sure they'll trust you that you can

      Quôc
    • d_funny007
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 2, 2007
        > > http://www.cubestation.co.uk/cs2/videos/F2LExamples1.wmv

        Thanks Dan for taking the time to make this. I just watched it. I
        didn't learn anything about ce/pairing I didn't know already, but I'm
        still amazed at the ease of cross solving for you Fridrich people. A
        few things that I wanted to comment on though. You use empty slots
        extremely well, much better than me. I would surmise that you have
        been practicing speical algs for those things. I did notice a few
        times when you choose a sub-optimal alg for a pairing. I also think
        that it s possible to capitalize on a multi-slotting opportuinity on
        one cases near end of the video.

        Curious. Do you use any sort of ZB or VH now? Cuz, on the clip there
        where many times when you left the LL edges incorrectly oriented.
        Maybe that was just becasue is was beyond the scope of what the video
        was meant to show.

        Hem..., now I'm tempted to make one.

        -Doug
      • d_funny007
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 2, 2007
          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "shiz315" <shiz315@...>
          wrote:

          > Wow im sooo confused, im such a noob...haha i have no idea what you
          > guys are talking about...

          Look it up! F2L means "First 2 Layers". In the context used, it has to
          do with solving "the cross" (look that up) and then solving each of the
          4 "corner edge pairs" (this too).

          Also for those of you that lurk around here and never post or rarely
          post, do spend some time and properly introduce yourselves :).

          -Doug
        • d_funny007
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 2, 2007
            > With a scramble that fast, you don't even need to solve the
            > rubik's cube to impress people ;)
            > For sure they'll trust you that you can
            >
            > Quôc

            I love that logic :). I'll have to use it sometime.
          • Dan
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 2, 2007
              Hey Doug,

              Thanks for your comments :) The F2L is never ending, you can work on
              it a lot and never completely master it I think. I use empty slots a
              lot, to help minimise rotation, but I didn't use any special algs,
              just the pair up and insert tricks and knowing which slots they affect.

              You are probably right about choosing the sub-optimal algs, maybe you
              can send me some private examples by email? I use a pretty limited set
              of algs, but always try to minimise rotation and delays.
              Multi-slotting, I don't believe in it.

              VH/ZB I do use, but more so on the 4x4x4 and 5x5x5. LarsV and I are
              investigating a new strategy for the 4x4x4 which employs a VH style
              approach. However this video was just to show solves of the F2L, with
              no specialties at the end.

              Dan :)

              --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, d_funny007