Re: [Speed cubing group] Re: blind WR and bad judge

  • Patrick PJK
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2007
      Blacked out goggles sound the best IMO. I think once we get enough around, that would work out well. Before each competitor goes, the judge can check to make sure they are indeed unable to see through them. The current way is nice, yes, but there is that point where they can look under the blindfold. With goggles blacked out, that is pretty much impossible.

      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2007
        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Frank Morris
        <ephem825@...> wrote:

        > This is partially on topic, but I have heard that you must set the
        cube down before donning the blindfold. Yet, I have seen many times
        that people just put the blindfold on and go for it. Which way is
        right?

        Good question. I have always placed my blindfold on my forehead before
        memorization and then slipped it down to my eyes just before starting.
        No body has pointed out anything wrong in what I do. So I would hope
        that it is okay. I can't think of a reason why it would not be okay.

        Anyone with a definitive answer?

        -Doug
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2007
          Hey Lazy Ass :)

          I checked the regs, and this particular rule doesn't seem to be in.
          But there is a regulation...

          # B4b) The competitor may manipulate the puzzle only after the judge
          has verified that the competitor has properly donned the blindfold.
          The judge must not delay the competitor by more than 1 second.

          Seems a bit of a funny rule to me, I bet not many judges know it...

          Dan :)

          <ephem825@...> wrote:

          > This is partially on topic, but I have heard that you must set the
          cube down before donning the blindfold. Yet, I have seen many times
          that people just put the blindfold on and go for it. Which way is right?

          > I guess I could stop being a lazy ass and look in the regs, but I
          don't wanna.

          > Frank
          >
          > Tyson Mao <tyson.mao@...> wrote:
          > Stefan,
          >
          > Can you think of a way to help protect against cheating? Do we need to
          > switch to the blacked-out swim goggles?
          >
          > -Tyson
          >
          > On Mar 1, 2007, at 11:50 AM, Stefan Pochmann wrote:
          >
          > > Just in case you haven't seen it, Oliver posted a video of Matyas's
          > > WR here:
          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CB38wG2XkI
          > >
          > > What's the judge doing 48 seconds into the solve? Sticking his hand
          > > between Matyas and the cube? That should be forbidden. It doesn't
          > > prove anything and only creates a chance that the two persons
          > > accidentally touch each other which could distract the cuber a lot.
          > > Bad! This judge behaviour is not even in the regulations. Where did
          > > he get that stupid idea from?
          > >
          > > Stefan

        • Koen Heltzel
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 1, 2007
            As far as I know this is common practice, at least in competitions I
            attended the last year. I did the same thing with a paper at the
            Belgian Open... I absolutely trusted the people I was judging (and any
            participant at that competition for what it's worth), but I think it's
            comparable to an illusionist who uses a steel ring to prove to the
            audience something is floating in the air .. if you catch my drift.

            Personally I don't feel comfortable doing this as a judge , because
            A) To the competitors or audience it might be interpreted as the judge
            not trusting the competitor (which could be a good thing as well, but
            most of the time the competitor in question is in fact someone with a
            good reputation).
            B) I don't know if blindsolvers notice and get distracted with this
            routine... I try to do it very carefully... but am not sure

            But because of the first point (A) I just made, I think this routine
            should be done to all competitors in blindfold events, or none of them.

            I checked what the official regulations are, but they say nothing
            about the judge checking the blindfold while the competitor is already
            in the solving phase.

            - Koen

            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, d_funny007
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > I don't think that that is a bad idea. It does prove a lot, and has
            > minimal risk of distraction. Plus, I think that a cuber should be
            > able to cope with such distractions. An accidental bump, flicker in
            > lighting, or sudden loud noises from the audience should not be much
            > of a problem for an experienced cuber.
            >
            > I think it's a good idea, and shows that the judge was being
            > proactive in detecting forms of cheating.
            >

            > -Doug
            >

            > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann"
            > <pochmann@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Just in case you haven't seen it, Oliver posted a video of
            > Matyas's
            > > WR here:
            > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CB38wG2XkI
            > >
            > > What's the judge doing 48 seconds into the solve? Sticking his
            > hand
            > > between Matyas and the cube? That should be forbidden. It doesn't
            > > prove anything and only creates a chance that the two persons
            > > accidentally touch each other which could distract the cuber a
            > lot.
            > > Bad! This judge behaviour is not even in the regulations. Where
            > did
            > > he get that stupid idea from?
            > >
            > > Stefan

          • Rory Margraf
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 1, 2007
              So what does a competitor do if they have no intention of cheating, but somewhere in the solve, they realize that there is a space that they don't want? If they stop and tell the judge, this good for them morally and the other competitors competitively as the competition results aren't skewed, but it also means that the solve has to be nullified for that competitor so now the situation becomes a bit more complex.

              Rory

              goodxy2002 <goodxy2002@...> wrote: hand waving is a necessary. the judge just has to be careful to not
              interfere

            • Johannes Laire
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 1, 2007
                <no_reply@...> wrote:
                > I don't think that that is a bad idea. It does prove a lot, and has
                > minimal risk of distraction.

                If I wanted to cheat and was looking under the blindfold, doing this
                wouldn't help the judge to notice it. I would just do some
                T-permutations etc. while the hand/paper was there and continue
                solving after I could see the cube again. But I don't think anyone is
                going to seriously do that.

                --
                Johannes Laire

                > -Doug
              • Joël van Noort
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 2, 2007
                  Hi Koen,

                  Did you also do it when you were judging me..?

                  I am almost certain Ron also did it with me, while I didn't feel
                  anything.

                  I do remember that Mathyas noticed it in this case. I could see him
                  being annoyed by it, an he was definately distracted, but NOT like
                  any response one would have when he was able to see the cube and his
                  sight was blocked (just te be clear about that). The judge probably
                  touched him in one way or another.

                  - Joël.

                  --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Koen Heltzel"
                  <allyourbase@...> wrote:

                  > As far as I know this is common practice, at least in competitions I
                  > attended the last year. I did the same thing with a paper at the
                  > Belgian Open... I absolutely trusted the people I was judging (and
                  any
                  > participant at that competition for what it's worth), but I think
                  it's
                  > comparable to an illusionist who uses a steel ring to prove to the
                  > audience something is floating in the air .. if you catch my drift.
                  >
                  > Personally I don't feel comfortable doing this as a judge , because
                  > A) To the competitors or audience it might be interpreted as the
                  judge
                  > not trusting the competitor (which could be a good thing as well,
                  but
                  > most of the time the competitor in question is in fact someone with
                  > good reputation).
                  > B) I don't know if blindsolvers notice and get distracted with this
                  > routine... I try to do it very carefully... but am not sure
                  >
                  > But because of the first point (A) I just made, I think this routine
                  > should be done to all competitors in blindfold events, or none of
                  them.

                  > I checked what the official regulations are, but they say nothing
                  > about the judge checking the blindfold while the competitor is
                  already
                  > in the solving phase.
                  >
                  > - Koen
                  >

                  > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, d_funny007
                  > <no_reply@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I don't think that that is a bad idea. It does prove a lot, and
                  has
                  > > minimal risk of distraction. Plus, I think that a cuber should be
                  > > able to cope with such distractions. An accidental bump, flicker
                  in
                  > > lighting, or sudden loud noises from the audience should not be
                  much
                  > > of a problem for an experienced cuber.
                  > >
                  > > I think it's a good idea, and shows that the judge was being
                  > > proactive in detecting forms of cheating.
                  > >

                  > > -Doug
                  > >

                  > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann"
                  > > <pochmann@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Just in case you haven't seen it, Oliver posted a video of
                  > > Matyas's
                  > > > WR here:
                  > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CB38wG2XkI
                  > > >
                  > > > What's the judge doing 48 seconds into the solve? Sticking his
                  > > hand
                  > > > between Matyas and the cube? That should be forbidden. It
                  doesn't
                  > > > prove anything and only creates a chance that the two persons
                  > > > accidentally touch each other which could distract the cuber a
                  > > lot.
                  > > > Bad! This judge behaviour is not even in the regulations. Where
                  > > did
                  > > > he get that stupid idea from?
                  > > >
                  > > > Stefan

                • Koen Heltzel
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 2, 2007
                    Yes, I did this during all attempts I judged.

                    - Koen

                    --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Joël van Noort

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 2, 2007
                      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Tyson Mao
                      <tyson.mao@...> wrote:

                      > Stefan,
                      >
                      > Can you think of a way to help protect against cheating? Do we
                      need to
                      > switch to the blacked-out swim goggles?
                      >
                      > -Tyson

                      Well, yes I still like the idea of those goggles I suggested
                      recently. Those weren't swimming goggles, though, but protective
                      glasses for welding. The key idea is that the judge can check
                      *before* the whole attempt, and thus with no need to rush, that the
                      glasses sit tight on the skin, and that the front part can be closed
                      by the competitor quickly and safely, somewhat snapping into place so
                      that there's really no way to see through.

                      I believe all the blindfolds I have used in competitions so far
                      would've allowed me to see the cube, had I wanted to.

                    • Arnaud van Galen
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 2, 2007
                        Yes, I remember the judge checking Mathyas during his second solve. I also think he was touched, because his reaction was that of someone that was in full focus and then suddenly disturbed.

                        I really like Stefans idea of the welding glasses.
                        They wouldn't allow people to cheat,
                        Disturbing checks would not be necessary (they could be done in advance),
                        People with glasses wouldn't lose time,
                        They wouldn't put as much strain on the eyes/head is swimming goggles,
                        It could even look "tough" ;-}

                        Now how would we acquire a dozen or more of these without spending any/too much money?

                        <allyourbase@...> wrote:

                        > As far as I know this is common practice, at least in competitions I
                        > attended the last year. I did the same thing with a paper at the
                        > Belgian Open... I absolutely trusted the people I was judging (and
                        any
                        > participant at that competition for what it's worth), but I think
                        it's
                        > comparable to an illusionist who uses a steel ring to prove to the
                        > audience something is floating in the air .. if you catch my drift.
                        >
                        > Personally I don't feel comfortable doing this as a judge , because
                        > A) To the competitors or audience it might be interpreted as the
                        judge
                        > not trusting the competitor (which could be a good thing as well,
                        but
                        > most of the time the competitor in question is in fact someone with
                        > good reputation).
                        > B) I don't know if blindsolvers notice and get distracted with this
                        > routine... I try to do it very carefully... but am not sure
                        >
                        > But because of the first point (A) I just made, I think this routine
                        > should be done to all competitors in blindfold events, or none of
                        them.

                        > I checked what the official regulations are, but they say nothing
                        > about the judge checking the blindfold while the competitor is
                        already
                        > in the solving phase.
                        >
                        > - Koen
                        >

                        > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, d_funny007
                        > <no_reply@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I don't think that that is a bad idea. It does prove a lot, and
                        has
                        > > minimal risk of distraction. Plus, I think that a cuber should be
                        > > able to cope with such distractions. An accidental bump, flicker
                        in
                        > > lighting, or sudden loud noises from the audience should not be
                        much
                        > > of a problem for an experienced cuber.
                        > >
                        > > I think it's a good idea, and shows that the judge was being
                        > > proactive in detecting forms of cheating.
                        > >

                        > > -Doug
                        > >

                        > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann"
                        > > <pochmann@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Just in case you haven't seen it, Oliver posted a video of
                        > > Matyas's
                        > > > WR here:
                        > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CB38wG2XkI
                        > > >
                        > > > What's the judge doing 48 seconds into the solve? Sticking his
                        > > hand
                        > > > between Matyas and the cube? That should be forbidden. It
                        doesn't
                        > > > prove anything and only creates a chance that the two persons
                        > > > accidentally touch each other which could distract the cuber a
                        > > lot.
                        > > > Bad! This judge behaviour is not even in the regulations. Where
                        > > did
                        > > > he get that stupid idea from?
                        > > >
                        > > > Stefan

                      • Gilles van den Peereboom
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 2, 2007
                          Well, just use a bit of the income of championships to invest in goggles.
                          Just as mush as a bit of income is now invested in stopwatches and so on !

                          Gilles

                          2007/3/2, Arnaud van Galen <avgalen@...>:

                          > Yes, I remember the judge checking Mathyas during his second solve. I
                          > also think he was touched, because his reaction was that of someone that was
                          > in full focus and then suddenly disturbed.
                          >
                          > I really like Stefans idea of the welding glasses.
                          > They wouldn't allow people to cheat,
                          > Disturbing checks would not be necessary (they could be done in advance),
                          > People with glasses wouldn't lose time,
                          > They wouldn't put as much strain on the eyes/head is swimming goggles,
                          > It could even look "tough" ;-}
                          >
                          > Now how would we acquire a dozen or more of these without spending any/too
                          > much money?

                        • thewetdog
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 2, 2007
                            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Gilles van den
                            Peereboom" <gillesvdp@...> wrote:

                            > Well, just use a bit of the income of championships to invest in
                            goggles.
                            > Just as mush as a bit of income is now invested in stopwatches and
                            so on !

                            > Gilles

                            And Stackmat timers and Tournament Displays. Speaking of which, has
                            everyone seen the new style of the second generation? It has the date
                            and time displayed even when in off mode. You can also save 3 times
                            under the various Speedstack cycles.

                            -Dave