OT.....3.141592653589793238462.......and so on

  • Heath <funny_guy32@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3, 2003
      this is really off topic i know, but I remember a few people in this
      club(back before our archives got deleted by the switch to yahoo
      groups) said they had memorized pi to quite a few decimal places.
      Well i kinda wanna c how many i can memorize (and sorta have a bet
      with some one). so how hard is it to learn 100 decimal places? Any
      tips from anyone here who has done it?

      I know to not just learn them as 100 separate numbers, but to make
      them more like triggers on the cube :D (hey atleast i mentioned the
      cube in this post)
      but im sure some of you guys can give me a little more help.

      i found a site that has pi to 50,000 decimal points! So im sure im
      not going to run out of numbers to learn :D

      thanks in advance

      -Heath
    • Brent Morgan
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2003
        I've caclulated PI into 3 million digits, and i even printed it out (40 some pages front and back with size 2 for the letters). Really, i think the world record for the most digits being memorized was by a chinese or japanese guy who memorized thousands (iv'e read it somewhere) and there is even a PI day! (3.14- 3rd month, 14th day, or March 14). i've calculated PI into 15 million once, but it froze up my computer every time i tried to print it out.
        Brent

        :)
        --Brent

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3, 2003
          I think there is a infinite digits in pi. I memorized 75 digits in school for pi day, March 14 (3/14 3.14 haha get it?) last year. Its also coming up this year too. It was fun. I got a piece of pie and 3 dollars and 14 cents. lol Fun, fun times... well any way i memorized them in sets of 5. pretty easy, i memorized the 75 digits the day i went to school to do the contest.

          ryguy

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2003
            well I have 42 so far, im memorizing them in sets of 3 and 4...here
            goes without cheating

            3. 1415 926 535 8979 323 8462 6433 832 795 0288 419 7169...

            thanks to those who posted...oh and thats with about 30 mins of
            trying to memorize...i bet i forget it all over night. well im off
            to bed

            im still shootin for 100 :D

            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Heath
            <funny_guy32@h...>" <funny_guy32@h...> wrote:
            > this is really off topic i know, but I remember a few people in
            this
            > club(back before our archives got deleted by the switch to yahoo
            > groups) said they had memorized pi to quite a few decimal places.
            > Well i kinda wanna c how many i can memorize (and sorta have a bet
            > with some one). so how hard is it to learn 100 decimal places?
            Any
            > tips from anyone here who has done it?
            >
            > I know to not just learn them as 100 separate numbers, but to make
            > them more like triggers on the cube :D (hey atleast i mentioned
            the
            > cube in this post)
            > but im sure some of you guys can give me a little more help.
            >
            > i found a site that has pi to 50,000 decimal points! So im sure
            im
            > not going to run out of numbers to learn :D
            >
            > thanks in advance
            >
            > -Heath
          • Daniel Hayes
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3, 2003
              Well, back in 8th grade (around 6 years ago now) in a single night I memorized 60 decimal places of pi for the heck of it. I can rattle these 60 off without thinking at all. If I type it into a keypad I can get as far as 80 sometimes. I have memorized up to 100 places but I forget it in a matter of days. But the first 60 are cemented into my head for some reason:
              3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944/592306 the / comes after the 60th place and then I went as far as I could without expending any mental effort. I think the first couple numbers have a nice rythm first with a kind of "bouncing" 5's : 15926535 then "bouncing" 9's:8979 then 3's 323 and so on. Just find the natural rythm of the numbers. Maybe I should try memorizing some more.... Thanks a lot, that's all I need is another obsession (or rather a rekindled old obsession) to take away from memorizing my cube algorithms.
              Might also be of interest to you that one day in 8th grade, sitting in my earth science class, I memorized the periodic table to the end of the lanthanide series. Same thing with them, i can ramble those off in my sleep if I feel like it, but I can't seem to get anything after the lanthanides to stick! Weird. Good luck to you!

              Daniel (swedishlf)

              this is really off topic i know, but I remember a few people in this
              club(back before our archives got deleted by the switch to yahoo
              groups) said they had memorized pi to quite a few decimal places.
              Well i kinda wanna c how many i can memorize (and sorta have a bet
              with some one). so how hard is it to learn 100 decimal places? Any
              tips from anyone here who has done it?

              I know to not just learn them as 100 separate numbers, but to make
              them more like triggers on the cube :D (hey atleast i mentioned the
              cube in this post)
              but im sure some of you guys can give me a little more help.

              i found a site that has pi to 50,000 decimal points! So im sure im
              not going to run out of numbers to learn :D

              thanks in advance

              -Heath

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • GameOfDeath2
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 4, 2003
                --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Heath
                <funny_guy32@h...>" <funny_guy32@h...> wrote:
                > this is really off topic i know, but I remember a few people in
                this
                > club(back before our archives got deleted by the switch to yahoo
                > groups) said they had memorized pi to quite a few decimal places.
                > Well i kinda wanna c how many i can memorize (and sorta have a bet
                > with some one). so how hard is it to learn 100 decimal places? Any
                > tips from anyone here who has done it?

                830 places learn them in batches of 10 (3-3-4). Sometimes you get
                palindromes or squares or primes. You can learn them pretty fast.

                > I know to not just learn them as 100 separate numbers, but to make
                > them more like triggers on the cube :D (hey atleast i mentioned the
                > cube in this post)
                > but im sure some of you guys can give me a little more help.
                >
                > i found a site that has pi to 50,000 decimal points! So im sure im
                > not going to run out of numbers to learn :D

                You can get it to a few hundred million places if you look around.
                There used to be a site with over 6 billion places but I don't know
                if it still exists.

                > thanks in advance
                >
                > -Heath
              • Daniel Hayes
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 4, 2003
                  Hey, I just remembered this think on the net that helped me learn: http://wissrech.iam.uni-bonn.de/people/arndt/pitrainer/pitrainer_form.html

                  using this for about 5 minutes and I can now do fully 100 digits (again). It should be noted that in my first reply to this post, my 66th digit was wrong, I typed a 6 and it should be 7. At any rate, I'll have forgotten the last 40 digits by morning most likely, but still it's nice to know that they're there somewhere in my head.

                  Good luck!
                  Daniel

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 4, 2003
                    --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Hayes"
                    <swedishlf@h...> wrote:
                    > Hey, I just remembered this think on the net that helped me learn:
                    http://wissrech.iam.uni-
                    bonn.de/people/arndt/pitrainer/pitrainer_form.html

                    > using this for about 5 minutes and I can now do fully 100 digits
                    (again). It should be noted that in my first reply to this post, my
                    66th digit was wrong, I typed a 6 and it should be 7. At any rate,
                    I'll have forgotten the last 40 digits by morning most likely, but
                    still it's nice to know that they're there somewhere in my head.

                    thanks man, i'll use that site just to make sure i do everything
                    right.....

                    those first 42 were still in my head when i woke up:D....i went
                    through them b4 i even got out of bed this morning haha...

                    i know 92 now

                    just 8 more till 100

                    maybe i'll go past 100 :S, we'll just see
                  • Heath
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 4, 2003
                      wow...i made it all the way to 101 :D

                      correct me if im wrong

                      3.1415 926 535 8979 323 8462 6433 832 795 419 7169 3993 7510 582
                      0974 9445 923 0781 6406 2862 0899 8628 0348 2534 2117 0679 8
                    • Heath
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 4, 2003
                        ahh, i dont know why i left it out!....

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 4, 2003
                          I'm up to 130 now, but I'm about to sleep, so God Help me!

                          You weren't entirely right with your post though:
                          3.1415 926 535 8979 323 8462 6433 832 795 !0288! 419 7169 3993 7510 582 0974 9445 923 0781 6406 2862 0899 8628 0348 2534 2117 0679 8
                          You left out the part in exclamations. Everything else is right though.

                          And yes, chicks do dig speedcubers, that was my whole motivation ;)

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 4, 2003
                            <swedishlf@h...> wrote:
                            > I'm up to 130 now, but I'm about to sleep, so God Help me!
                            >
                            > You weren't entirely right with your post though:
                            > 3.1415 926 535 8979 323 8462 6433 832 795 !0288! 419 7169 3993
                            7510 582 0974 9445 923 0781 6406 2862 0899 8628 0348 2534 2117 0679 8
                            > You left out the part in exclamations. Everything else is right
                            though.

                            > And yes, chicks do dig speedcubers, that was my whole motivation ;)

                            yeah i noticed i left that out :(

                            your up to 130 huh? i bet i can beat that,lol....what are you
                            trying to make it to?
                          • Daniel Hayes
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 4, 2003
                              I don't really have a goal actually... Just wish I could get the first 100 to stick ;) Good job, and keep it up! I guess I should get back to the algorithms for now!

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 5, 2003
                                If you're up to 100, you could join the 100 club.

                                http://www.acc.umu.se/~olletg/pi/club_100.htm
                              • Daniel Hayes
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 5, 2003
                                  I applied for the 100 club, and I'm calling it a night at 150 digits, guess we'll see how many I can remember in the morning!

                                  Daniel