Re: Video Please

  • goodxy2002
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
      Obviously his youtube video is sped up. That's why there is no sound
      and he doesnt show the actual timer. Why do you think his movements
      are so jerky and fast? If there were sound, it'd be high pitched. I'm
      surprised he hasn't be chastised yet after posting his fake video
      directly onto speedcubing.com... I wonder if no ones noticed besides me?
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com,
        "goodxy2002" <goodxy2002@...> wrote:

        > Obviously his youtube video is sped up.

        It's not obvious to me. And I'm the guy who once thought Tyson's 1:13
        (or something like that) video was sped up when it wasn't. I think
        bad quality video can falsely give you the impression of unrealistic
        movement.

      • goodxy2002
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
          I've met up with many american cubers and we've talked about it. maybe
          you should watch it again, you'll see what i mean.

          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann"
          <pochmann@...> wrote:

          > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com,
          > "goodxy2002" <goodxy2002@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Obviously his youtube video is sped up.
          >
          > It's not obvious to me. And I'm the guy who once thought Tyson's 1:13
          > (or something like that) video was sped up when it wasn't. I think
          > bad quality video can falsely give you the impression of unrealistic
          > movement.

        • Pedro
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
            Could anyone give me the link, please? I think it was on speedcubing.com, but I can't find it anymore...

            I saw it once and looked a bit strange at first, but I can't really say that is sped up or not...

            Pedro

            goodxy2002 <goodxy2002@...> escreveu: I've met up with many american cubers and we've talked about it. maybe

            <pochmann@...> wrote:

            > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com,
            > "goodxy2002" <goodxy2002@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Obviously his youtube video is sped up.
            >
            > It's not obvious to me. And I'm the guy who once thought Tyson's 1:13
            > (or something like that) video was sped up when it wasn't. I think
            > bad quality video can falsely give you the impression of unrealistic
            > movement.

          • Dan Dzoan
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-s3VIBRl_U

              --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Pedro <pedrosino1@...>
              wrote:

              > Could anyone give me the link, please? I think it was on
              speedcubing.com, but I can't find it anymore...

              > I saw it once and looked a bit strange at first, but I can't really
              say that is sped up or not...

              > Pedro
              >
              > goodxy2002 <goodxy2002@...> escreveu:
              I've met up with many american cubers and we've talked about it. maybe
              > you should watch it again, you'll see what i mean.
              >
              > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann"
              > <pochmann@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com,
              > > "goodxy2002" <goodxy2002@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Obviously his youtube video is sped up.
              > >
              > > It's not obvious to me. And I'm the guy who once thought Tyson's
              1:13
              > > (or something like that) video was sped up when it wasn't. I think
              > > bad quality video can falsely give you the impression of unrealistic
              > > movement.
              > >
              > > Cheers!
              > > Stefan

            • Pedro
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2007
                Thank you, Dan

                Pedro

                Dan Dzoan <gvdlfs3@...> escreveu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-s3VIBRl_U

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2007
                  --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com,
                  "goodxy2002" <goodxy2002@...> wrote:

                  > I've met up with many american cubers and we've talked about it.
                  maybe
                  > you should watch it again, you'll see what i mean.

                  I did watch it again but I still don't see something really
                  suspicious. If there's something specific I should look for, can you
                  tell what it is and the time into the video when it happens?

                  Also... speedsolving using my blindfold method I average about 50
                  seconds and I think I can drop to 40 with a few more algs and good
                  recall during actual blindsolving. When I use it for speedsolving I
                  always have to look for what to do next, which doesn't take much time
                  but it's still slower than when I have memorized and have good recall.

                  Boris Konrad (one of the world's top memorizers) tried blindcubing a
                  bit and said he averaged 40 seconds for memorization and got down to
                  30 in good cases.

                  With enough practice I'm convinced sub-70 blindcubing average is
                  easily possible. Real average, that is, not just best average-of-10.
                  And probably there are better methods out there.

                • Ron van Bruchem
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2007
                    Hi guys,

                    The video looks less sped up than the video of Tobias:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6KwzjCXv3w

                    My position is that if someone has done the effort to become very fast at solving (blindfolded), he is so much into our hobby that he will be trustworthy IN GENERAL.
                    There will always be exceptions, but who are we to be the judge? Is it easier to frown than to believe and be inspired?

                    I have had some e-mail contact with the Chinese cubers and recommend that to anyone having doubts.
                    Instead of fighting here, we can talk to them and ask them how they do it.
                    Just watch the pictures that I linked to, and you will see that the Chinese cubing community is similar to any other cubing community.
                    They just want to have fun and compete in a fair manner.

                    I was told that one of the Chinese cubers uses a method where "he solves orientation and position at the same time, and each time solves two corners or edges."
                    Could be Stefan's system, or another system??
                    We should think of better systems than the one we are using now.

                    Anyway, I have a new video coming up, where Danyang is solving on live tv in 1:25. It is a 20 minute performance.
                    Please wait a little more, because they have some slow servers over there... :-)

                    Have fun,

                    Ron

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 4, 2007
                      Hi goodxy2002 (don't know your real name),

                      > I think you're missing something here.
                      My point was that crappy videos can be deceiving. They can still be a video
                      of a true event.
                      Is your point that a crappy video is a proof of someone who is cheating?

                      Anyway, we can forget about that video, because we have a new video.
                      A few points here:
                      - Danyang solves blindfolded in 1 minute 25 seconds
                      - he solves it live on tv for a huge audience
                      - he solves successfully after a failure in his previous attempt (I would be
                      more careful the second time...)
                      - you see the scramble (please let noone say it was a bad scramble)

                      Here is the video (10MB):
                      http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/a/videos/Danyang_tv_85s_bld.wmv

                      My conclusion: Danyang is great! (and so are all other fast blindfolded
                      solvers)
                      Maybe we can learn something from him.

                      I will post the full 102MB video later. Need to find a good place to host
                      it.

                      Have fun,

                      Ron

                      I think you're missing something here. Yes Tobias looks sped up, but
                      the fact that it's soooo chopppy makes it understandable. Also the way
                      it is choppy is funky, it skips back and forth, which also makes it
                      understandable. Whereas the other vid... its just fast.

                      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Ron van Bruchem"

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 4, 2007
                        Hi guys,

                        The 102 MB video contains a lot of Chinese talking. :-)

                        But here is the video of 3 year old En-xi Xie solving in 1 minute 54
                        seconds. (6MB)
                        http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/a/videos/En-xi_Xie_tv_3 years_old.wmv

                        I wish she could be in an official competition.

                        Have fun,

                        Ron

                        > Hi goodxy2002 (don't know your real name),
                        >
                        >> I think you're missing something here.
                        > My point was that crappy videos can be deceiving. They can still be a
                        > video of a true event.
                        > Is your point that a crappy video is a proof of someone who is cheating?
                        >
                        > Anyway, we can forget about that video, because we have a new video.
                        > A few points here:
                        > - Danyang solves blindfolded in 1 minute 25 seconds
                        > - he solves it live on tv for a huge audience
                        > - he solves successfully after a failure in his previous attempt (I would
                        > be more careful the second time...)
                        > - you see the scramble (please let noone say it was a bad scramble)
                        >
                        > Here is the video (10MB):
                        > http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/a/videos/Danyang_tv_85s_bld.wmv
                        >
                        > My conclusion: Danyang is great! (and so are all other fast blindfolded
                        > solvers)
                        > Maybe we can learn something from him.
                        >
                        > I will post the full 102MB video later. Need to find a good place to host
                        > it.
                        >
                        > Have fun,
                        >
                        > Ron

                      • Koen Heltzel
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 4, 2007
                          Thanks for the video Ron! I'm glad we got that cleared up ;)

                          - Koen

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 4, 2007
                            Bruchem" <ron@...> wrote:

                            > Hi goodxy2002 (don't know your real name),

                            Oh he's nobody. Except he holds the official 3x3 world record for
                            single solve. Gah, people should just use their real names.

                          • Joël van Noort
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 4, 2007
                              Hi Ron,

                              I totally agree with you. Instead of demanding evidence at a certain
                              tone, it's much to just wait patiently and see what happens. Like
                              now, I was also very curious about this Danyang Chen, but after this
                              video, I am quite convinced that it's all true.

                              > I was told that one of the Chinese cubers uses a method where "he
                              solves orientation and position at the same time, and each time
                              solves two corners or edges."
                              > Could be Stefan's system, or another system??
                              > We should think of better systems than the one we are using now.

                              Sounds a bit like Stefan's method, but then with three cycles. I
                              believe there are a few people who combine Stefan's method with
                              three cycles... Dont know how this sounds, but I can't resist
                              mentioning that I once predicted everybody would solve like that in
                              the future. I still think that this method has great potential, like
                              Stefan's M2 method ;).

                              > Just watch the pictures that I linked to, and you will see that
                              the Chinese cubing community is similar to any other cubing
                              community.

                              Maybe I missed something here, but where are these pictures?

                              -Joël.

                              Oh. P.S.: The video of Tobias doesn't look sped up to me. But then
                              again, maybe that's your point.. :)
                            • Ron van Bruchem
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 4, 2007
                                Hi Joël,

                                > Maybe I missed something here, but where are these pictures?
                                I posted them earlier on this forum:

                                http://bbs.mf8.com.cn/dispbbs.asp?boardID=14&ID=1968&page=1
                                http://bbs.mf8.com.cn/dispbbs.asp?boardID=14&ID=2124&page=1
                                http://bbs.mf8.com.cn/dispbbs.asp?boardid=14&replyid=2176&id=2176&page=1&skin=0&Star=3
                                http://bbs.mf8.com.cn/dispbbs.asp?boardID=14&ID=3125&page=1
                                http://bbs.mf8.com.cn/dispbbs.asp?boardID=14&ID=3024&page=1
                                http://bbs.mf8.com.cn/dispbbs.asp?boardID=13&ID=3037&page=1
                                http://bbs.mf8.com.cn/dispbbs.asp?boardID=14&ID=3226&page=1

                                On the bottom of the pages you can scroll further to see more pages with
                                pictures.

                                I have become a member of the Chinese forum. So maybe I can find some more
                                interesting stuff.

                                These are taken at one of their unofficial competitions:
                                http://bbs.mf8.com.cn/dispbbs.asp?boardid=13&replyid=30751&id=2544&page=1&skin=0&Star=6

                                They have some pretty good cubers over there. Check out the results of one
                                of the competitions. And they improved again since then.
                                http://www.speedcubing.com/events/unofficial/guangzhou2006.html