Re: [Speed cubing group] Re: Wide turns (was:New OLL for fridich method)

  • Gilles van den Peereboom
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 1, 2007
      Like Macky, I do not think this a problem.
      The only difference is that instead of using the minor case, a w is added
      after the letter.
      This doesn't look like too hard to learn.

      I would be more concerned if French cubers started to use the French
      notation !
      H = Up
      D = Right
      G = Left
      B = Down
      P = Back
      (I don't remember) = Front

      That, in my opinion, would be a big problem.
      The 'Asian notation' (if we can call it like that) is fully understandable.
      There is no need to impose one of these 2 notations.

      Gilles

      2007/2/1, mackymakisumi <mackymakisumi@...>:

> [...]
      > top of my page of notations that "The notation used on this site is
      > the most commonly used notation (RLUDFBxyzEMS) with suffix "w" for
      > double layer turns adopted from JSCC [Japan Speed Cubing Club]
      > notation." That said, I'd be happy to include a link to the notation
      > on speedcubing.com as well as explicitly mention that cubers outside
      > the Japanese and Korean communities may not understand the w notation.
      >
      > Of course, I do see the advantage of having an official notation for
      > WCA. If we take a majority vote now as you suggest, even including all
      > the Asian cubers, the lowercase notation will win without a doubt. My
      > concern for pushing such a plan is its possible damaging effect on the
      > relationship between WCA and the Asian communities. After all, WCA is
      > World Cube Association, and I believe that it should maintain a good
      > relationship with cubers anywhere in the world. A compromise, such as
      > the recognition of other well-established notations, would be a much
      > better plan.
      >
      > I apologize if this reply sounded somewhat harsh. The only reason for
      > this is that I don't appreciate your tone thus far in this discussion.
      >
      > > So Macky, if you read this, set a
      > > consensus for other cubers and update your site with the most commonly
      > > used notation so as to not cause confusion.
      >
      > Next time, please take the time to do your research before using an
      > unsoftened imperative.
      >
      > macky
      >

      > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com<speedsolvingrubikscube%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "Per Kristen Fredlund"
      > <aspiring_to_love@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi David :-)
      > >
      > > Well it can be debated whether we have an "official" notation or not.
      > > But at least we have a "common" notation. The W postfix is certainly
      > > not part of that IMHO. I'm sure 95% of the cubers here use lowercase
      > > letters for wide turns/double-turns. So Macky, if you read this, set a
      > > consensus for other cubers and update your site with the most commonly
      > > used notation so as to not cause confusion. And i recommend (mild
      > > command) Ron to add these double turns to the notation page on his
      > > site also. Maybe (defninitely!) it's a job for WCA to set official
      > > rules for 3x3x3 notation!? Even we have disagreements here, it should
      > > be fairly easy to let the "majority" decide this and come up with a
      > > proper OFFICIAL notation. As for larger cubes the WCA may also decide
      > > on official notation for these, at least for 4x4x4 and 5x5x5, but it's
      > > less urgent in my opinion. A notation for larger cubes should also
      > > take into account even larger cubes (olympicubes) and since these are
      > > not publicly out yet we can wait.
      > >
      > > Best regards,
      > >
      > > -Per
      > >
      > > PS! Personally i do not like xyz (cube rotations) notation but we may
      > > as well include them in an OFFICIAL notation ;-) And they're already
      > > on the beforementioned scc's notation page :D

    • Kenneth Gustavsson
      Message 42 of 42 , Feb 8, 2007
        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, d_funny007
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Gotcha there...

        I'm well aware that I'm about 25 years to late to actually "invent"
        anything =)

        But I like to spread good idéas.

        // Kenneth

        BTW: forgot to write about one of my tricks for CLL + edges
        orientation. If your CLL ends in R' F R F' (or similair) then do L' U R
        U' M' instead and you do not orient any edges in the end of the alg.
        Example: CLL = R U2 R' U2 R' F R F' COLL = R U2 R' U2 L' U R U' M'