Re: square-1

  • d_funny007
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 31, 2006
      > If you understand parities, this is real easy. In a certain easy
      > reach shape you can change parity with a single twist. Think about
      it.

      I kind of do. I don't have a good way of getting to the star-shape
      though. There must be some easy to memorize alg that does this and
      then I can use it's inverse to come back.

      In fact I don't know any of the algs to get from star-shape to cube-
      shape. I think there are 5 cases right? Erm... if I feel ambitious
      enough I'll try to learn them.

      Another question that comes to mind for me is: Is it a necessary
      requirment to get to star-shape in order to flip the parity of the
      puzzle? Or in otherwords, is there existance of an alg that changes
      parity without encountering the star-shape?

      Okay, I'm going to mix up my sq-1 now! I only solve it a few times a
      year, but it's an hour away from the new year, I'm alone, and
      avoiding alcohol at all costs... :)

      -Doug
    • Johannes Laire
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2007
        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, d_funny007
        <no_reply@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone have a very short or easy to memorize parity alg for
        > sq1? It can mess up every single piece as long as it gets me back to
        > cube shape...
        >

        > -Doug

        You are going to love this: /(-3,-3)/(0,-1)/(2,-4)/(4,-2)/(1,0)/(-3,-3)/
        Easy to understand and remember.

        -
        Johannes Laire
      • d_funny007
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2007
          Before reading this I found a better one myself. It's almost the
          same:

          /(3,3)/(1,0)/(4,-2)/(-4,2)/(-1,0)/(-3,-3)/

          It should be obvious why it works... it's a quick conjugation of
          the "/". This nice thing aboout this one is that all it does on the
          top layer is an H-Perm and leaves the edges in place on the bottom.

          -Doug

          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Johannes Laire"
          <johannes.laire@...> wrote:
          > You are going to love this: /(-3,-3)/(0,-1)/(2,-4)/(4,-2)/(1,0)/(-
          3,-3)/
          > Easy to understand and remember.
          >
          > -
          > Johannes Laire

        • d_funny007
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2007
            Thanks to that post (and my incredible baredom lately), I've fianlly
            managed to start timing myself on the sq-1. I got a 3:52 on my first
            timing.

            I'm inspired to take up sq-1 now. I should be breaking 90 sec soon. I
            am coming up with lots of nifty algs and learning them quicker than I
            would have expected. I think Patterson would be proud of me :).

            I'll be posting an UWR once I feel confident about it.

            I'm using a method where I first go to star-shape and then get to cube-
            shape, (unless it's obivous how to get there directly, but I'm also
            going to learn a set of algs that go from one square side to square-
            shape). Next, I solve a layer intuitively (D layer). I then check for
            parity and do a parity alg if necessary (although it's messes up a lot
            of things... and I have to resolve a layer). Then I do either a "J-
            Perm/L-Perm" or an "N-Perm" and finish up.

            I'm learning all 5 cases for star-to-cube. I almost know all
            the "PLLs", but I might not want to learn V and Y... although Y is not
            a bad case to do.

            The biggest problem I have now is to come up with better 3-edge cycle
            algs. I'm not happy with how complicated the ones I found are.

            -Doug

            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Miles Yucht"
            <mgyucht@...> wrote:

            > Hi, im Miles, new to the group.
            >
            > Does anyone know where i can find a square-1 to purchase? I haven't
            > been able to find anything, quite literally.
            >
            > Thanks for your help.

          • Tim Reynolds
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2007
              Hmm, a few days ago I started squaring again too. I'm consistently
              well under two minutes contingent on no mistakes, and I've got
              plenty of baredom too :)

              I'm doing the same get-to-cube as you are (star->cube unless I
              recognize the pattern), but then I'm pretty much doing the method
              Lars Vandenbergh describes on his page (separate corners, separate
              edges, solve corners, solve edges) with a few more substeps in there
              since I haven't learned all the algs yet. Ultimately I hope to
              learn optimal getting-to-cube, but that's not a top priority.

              Tim

              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Thanks to that post (and my incredible baredom lately), I've
              fianlly
              > managed to start timing myself on the sq-1. I got a 3:52 on my
              first
              > timing.
              >
              > I'm inspired to take up sq-1 now. I should be breaking 90 sec
              soon. I
              > am coming up with lots of nifty algs and learning them quicker
              than I
              > would have expected. I think Patterson would be proud of me :).
              >
              > I'll be posting an UWR once I feel confident about it.
              >
              > I'm using a method where I first go to star-shape and then get to
              cube-
              > shape, (unless it's obivous how to get there directly, but I'm
              also
              > going to learn a set of algs that go from one square side to
              square-
              > shape). Next, I solve a layer intuitively (D layer). I then check
              for
              > parity and do a parity alg if necessary (although it's messes up a
              lot
              > of things... and I have to resolve a layer). Then I do either a "J-
              > Perm/L-Perm" or an "N-Perm" and finish up.
              >
              > I'm learning all 5 cases for star-to-cube. I almost know all
              > the "PLLs", but I might not want to learn V and Y... although Y is
              not
              > a bad case to do.
              >
              > The biggest problem I have now is to come up with better 3-edge
              cycle
              > algs. I'm not happy with how complicated the ones I found are.
              >

              > -Doug
              >

              > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Miles Yucht"
              > <mgyucht@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi, im Miles, new to the group.
              > >
              > > Does anyone know where i can find a square-1 to purchase? I
              haven't
              > > been able to find anything, quite literally.
              > >
              > > Thanks for your help.

            • baller1177
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 30, 2007
                Can you still get a square one? If yes, where (other than ebay)? And
                i'm in a sort of a cubers block. I average around 35, and i have all
                the algs memorized. What should I do?
              • Tim Reynolds
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 30, 2007
                  And
                  > i'm in a sort of a cubers block. I average around 35, and i have all
                  > the algs memorized. What should I do?

                  All the algs? Does that mean algs for all 43 quintillion positions (If
                  so, you're even ahead of Ron :))? Or for one particular system? If
                  so, what system are you using? It's hard to give advice when you give
                  such limited information. It's like asking "My computer doesn't work,
                  what should I do?" In general, I'd recommend lots of practice and
                  trying to eliminate recognition time, but I can't be any more specific
                  without more information.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 31, 2007
                    "baller1177" <baller17@...> wrote:

                    > Can you still get a square one? If yes, where (other than ebay)?

                    http://cubikon.de/product_info.php?products_id=1018&language=en

                  • baller1177
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 31, 2007
                      All of Fridrich. I use Macky's algs for LL, and Dan Harris's algs
                      for f2l.
                      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Reynolds"
                      <timothy.reynolds2@...> wrote:

                      > And
                      > > i'm in a sort of a cubers block. I average around 35, and i
                      have all
                      > > the algs memorized. What should I do?
                      > >

                      > All the algs? Does that mean algs for all 43 quintillion
                      positions (If
                      > so, you're even ahead of Ron :))? Or for one particular system?
                      If
                      > so, what system are you using? It's hard to give advice when you
                      give
                      > such limited information. It's like asking "My computer doesn't
                      work,
                      > what should I do?" In general, I'd recommend lots of practice and
                      > trying to eliminate recognition time, but I can't be any more
                      specific
                      > without more information.

                    • Tim Reynolds
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 31, 2007
                        Okay, here's my advice:
                        Try other algs. Just because Macky likes an alg doesn't mean it has
                        to work that well for you. I'm not saying that Macky's algs are bad,
                        or that they won't work for you, but don't limit yourself to only
                        using those.
                        As for the actual solving, http://cubefreak.net/speedcubing_tips.html

                        Tim

                        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "baller1177"