Re: [Speed cubing group] Lucky or not?

  • Pedro
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
      Haha...where did you take that Gommes from?

      about the avg...wow, 4 lucky times is crazy...if it was me, I wouldn't post it...

      Pedro

      Gilles van den Peereboom <gillesvdp@...> escreveu:
      Gommes = Gilles :s

      2006/11/2, Gilles van den Peereboom <gillesvdp@...>:

      > By the way, it says Nathan Moreau on the 1st page, and then Andrew Kang in
      > the records page...
      >
      > That's not very lucky :D
      >
      > Gommes
      >

      > 2006/11/2, Gilles Roux < grrroux@...>:
      > >

      > > #1 http://www.speedcubing.com/records/recs_cube_333av.html
      > >
      > > An average with 3 PLL and 1 OLL skipped. Not bad...
      > >
      > > Gilles.

    • Tim Reynolds
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
        If we go by the <20%=lucky definition...
        For Fridrich solvers, a non-lucky LL occurs (215/216)(71/72) = 98.1%
        of the time. Thus, a non-lucky LL occurs 12 for 12 times ((215/216)
        (71/72))^12 = 79.997% of the time. So you get at least one lucky
        solve just over 20% of the time in an average of 12, so 1 lucky
        solve isn't lucky in an average. The probability of getting exactly
        one lucky solve is (12 C 1) (.981)^11 (1-.981)^1 = 18.04%, leaving
        about a 2% chance of 2 or more lucky solves, which is definately
        lucky. Continuing this process gives about a 0.0051% chance of
        getting 4 or more lucky solves. I think we can agree that that is
        lucky.

        So, I would argue that average to be lucky. In fact, any Fridrich
        average with >1 lucky solve is lucky by my definition.
        Tim

        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Pedro
        <pedrosino1@...> wrote:

        > Haha...where did you take that Gommes from?
        >
        > about the avg...wow, 4 lucky times is crazy...if it was me, I
        wouldn't post it...

        > Pedro
        >
        > Gilles van den Peereboom <gillesvdp@...> escreveu:
        > Gommes = Gilles :s
        >
        > 2006/11/2, Gilles van den Peereboom <gillesvdp@...>:
        > >
        > > By the way, it says Nathan Moreau on the 1st page, and then
        Andrew Kang in
        > > the records page...
        > >
        > > That's not very lucky :D
        > >
        > > Gommes
        > >

        > > 2006/11/2, Gilles Roux < grrroux@...>:
        > > >

        > > > #1 http://www.speedcubing.com/records/recs_cube_333av.html
        > > >
        > > > An average with 3 PLL and 1 OLL skipped. Not bad...
        > > >
        > > > Gilles.

      • Gilles van den Peereboom
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
          Check what's next to the I and the L on the keybord ;-)

          Oh of course you qwerty users don't have the M next to the L.
          But basically I just typed on the rong keys though using the same
          combination, and it's funny it gives that sort of Spanish name.

          That's all ;-)

          Gilles (or Gommes if you prefer)

          2006/11/3, Pedro <pedrosino1@...>:

          > Haha...where did you take that Gommes from?
          >
          > about the avg...wow, 4 lucky times is crazy...if it was me, I wouldn't
          > post it...
          >
          > Pedro
          >
          > Gilles van den Peereboom <gillesvdp@... <gillesvdp%40gmail.com>>
          > escreveu:
          > Gommes = Gilles :s
          >
          > 2006/11/2, Gilles van den Peereboom <gillesvdp@...<gillesvdp%40skynet.be>
          > >:
          > >
          > > By the way, it says Nathan Moreau on the 1st page, and then Andrew Kang
          > in
          > > the records page...
          > >
          > > That's not very lucky :D
          > >
          > > Gommes
          > >

          > > 2006/11/2, Gilles Roux < grrroux@... <grrroux%40free.fr>>:
          > > >

          > > > #1 http://www.speedcubing.com/records/recs_cube_333av.html
          > > >
          > > > An average with 3 PLL and 1 OLL skipped. Not bad...
          > > >
          > > > Gilles.

        • Per Kristen Fredlund
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
            Hi :-)

            Gommes comes from :

            favorite music : gomez
            favorite food : pommes (frites)
            so: gomez+pommes=gommes

            Well, the mistyping explanation, i can also buy that one ... lol :D

            -Per

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
              favorite food : pommes (frites)

              HAHA :D