(slightly off topic) did you get a recruiting email from D E Shaw group?

  • Jeff Soesbe
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2006
      Hi Cube Folks --

      I got an email from the D.E. Shaw group inviting me to send a resume
      due to my Rubik's Cube involvement. I was curious if others got the
      same email - it looks like they were essentially scanning either
      competiion results or unofficial world records and doing a mass
      emailing.

      It's a real company doing real investment, technical and research
      work (www.deshaw.com) and thinking about it, for a company like
      that, trying to recruit from a group of puzzle solvers is probably a
      pretty good idea.

      Here's the start of the email:

      "The D. E. Shaw group is currently looking to hire a small number of
      truly gifted individuals with backgrounds in mathematics, computer
      science, and other technical fields. I came across your name while
      looking for people who have competed successfully in Rubik's Cube
      World Competitions. A mastery of algorithms and puzzles,
      computational proficiency and analytical curiosity -- these same
      skills that made you formidable in cubing competitions are highly
      valued in our staff. If you might be interested in exploring
      employment opportunities with us, I invite you to submit a copy of
      your resume"

      I don't think I'll respond, because I'm happy in my current job at
      HP, but I was curious if everyone else got this email as well??

      yeff
    • Dan Dzoan
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 26, 2006
        At some of the job fairs here at UC Berkeley, companies normally give
        out pens or keychains or things of that nature but when D.E. Shaw is
        here, they give out Rubik's cubes. I always try and go to those job
        fairs and get a couple if I can =p

        Actually, now that I think about it, I first started solving Rubik's
        cubes on the D.E. Shaw cube they gave out at last years job fair....

        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Soesbe"
        <yeff@...> wrote:

        > Hi Cube Folks --
        >
        > I got an email from the D.E. Shaw group inviting me to send a resume
        > due to my Rubik's Cube involvement. I was curious if others got the
        > same email - it looks like they were essentially scanning either
        > competiion results or unofficial world records and doing a mass
        > emailing.
        >
        > It's a real company doing real investment, technical and research
        > work (www.deshaw.com) and thinking about it, for a company like
        > that, trying to recruit from a group of puzzle solvers is probably a
        > pretty good idea.
        >
        > Here's the start of the email:
        >
        > "The D. E. Shaw group is currently looking to hire a small number of
        > truly gifted individuals with backgrounds in mathematics, computer
        > science, and other technical fields. I came across your name while
        > looking for people who have competed successfully in Rubik's Cube
        > World Competitions. A mastery of algorithms and puzzles,
        > computational proficiency and analytical curiosity -- these same
        > skills that made you formidable in cubing competitions are highly
        > valued in our staff. If you might be interested in exploring
        > employment opportunities with us, I invite you to submit a copy of
        > your resume"
        >
        > I don't think I'll respond, because I'm happy in my current job at
        > HP, but I was curious if everyone else got this email as well??
        >
        > yeff

      • Koen Heltzel
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 26, 2006
          I got it too; At first I scanned it and judged it as spam after 0,5
          seconds ;) Then after deleting it hit me I might have seen the word
          'Rubik' in it, so I looked back in the trashcan.

          It surely is an interesting way to recruit personel... but The
          Netherlands is a bit far from New York...

          - Koen

          <yeff@...> wrote:

          > Hi Cube Folks --
          >
          > I got an email from the D.E. Shaw group inviting me to send a resume
          > due to my Rubik's Cube involvement. I was curious if others got the
          > same email - it looks like they were essentially scanning either
          > competiion results or unofficial world records and doing a mass
          > emailing.
          >
          > It's a real company doing real investment, technical and research
          > work (www.deshaw.com) and thinking about it, for a company like
          > that, trying to recruit from a group of puzzle solvers is probably a
          > pretty good idea.
          >
          > Here's the start of the email:
          >
          > "The D. E. Shaw group is currently looking to hire a small number of
          > truly gifted individuals with backgrounds in mathematics, computer
          > science, and other technical fields. I came across your name while
          > looking for people who have competed successfully in Rubik's Cube
          > World Competitions. A mastery of algorithms and puzzles,
          > computational proficiency and analytical curiosity -- these same
          > skills that made you formidable in cubing competitions are highly
          > valued in our staff. If you might be interested in exploring
          > employment opportunities with us, I invite you to submit a copy of
          > your resume"
          >
          > I don't think I'll respond, because I'm happy in my current job at
          > HP, but I was curious if everyone else got this email as well??
          >
          > yeff

        • d_funny007
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2006
            I never got such an e-mail. It makes me kinda sad... I've been
            applying to lot of jobs lately and that would have been nice to see.
            After looking through their job descriptions though, I feel rather
            intimidated though. At the last job fair I went to Mathworks was
            giving out cubes (the ppl that develop the Matlab program).
            Microsoft sometimes does too.

            The only reason I heard of that company DEShaw is that they sponser
            ARML (a math competition where Macky was caught juggling), and I got
            some free mugs and key chain with their logo on them.

            Anyone here want to help me in the door for a job? I'm interested in
            companies such as Microsoft, Motorola, HP, AMD, Intel, Google,
            etc... I'm willing to relocate too! Something to do with embedded
            systems design work or software development.

            -Doug

            <yeff@...> wrote:

            > Hi Cube Folks --
            >
            > I got an email from the D.E. Shaw group inviting me to send a
            resume
            > due to my Rubik's Cube involvement. I was curious if others got
            the
            > same email - it looks like they were essentially scanning either
            > competiion results or unofficial world records and doing a mass
            > emailing.
            >
            > It's a real company doing real investment, technical and research
            > work (www.deshaw.com) and thinking about it, for a company like
            > that, trying to recruit from a group of puzzle solvers is probably
            > pretty good idea.
            >
            > Here's the start of the email:
            >
            > "The D. E. Shaw group is currently looking to hire a small number
            of
            > truly gifted individuals with backgrounds in mathematics, computer
            > science, and other technical fields. I came across your name
            while
            > looking for people who have competed successfully in Rubik's Cube
            > World Competitions. A mastery of algorithms and puzzles,
            > computational proficiency and analytical curiosity -- these same
            > skills that made you formidable in cubing competitions are highly
            > valued in our staff. If you might be interested in exploring
            > employment opportunities with us, I invite you to submit a copy of
            > your resume"
            >
            > I don't think I'll respond, because I'm happy in my current job at
            > HP, but I was curious if everyone else got this email as well??
            >
            > yeff

          • Chris Parlette
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 30, 2006
              I also got it. Like Koen, I initially thought it was junk mail, but
              noticed the "Rubik" part before deleting it. I think it's a great way
              to recruit people, since they're looking for a certain kind of person
              rather than someone who won't require as much training. Also, it
              seems that they had to do at least a bit of research to find our email
              addresses, so I'm wondering if they saw more personal info, such as
              age bracket and education.

              -Chris Parlette

              --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Koen Heltzel"
              <allyourbase@...> wrote:

              > I got it too; At first I scanned it and judged it as spam after 0,5
              > seconds ;) Then after deleting it hit me I might have seen the word
              > 'Rubik' in it, so I looked back in the trashcan.
              >
              > It surely is an interesting way to recruit personel... but The
              > Netherlands is a bit far from New York...
              >
              > - Koen
              >

              > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Soesbe"
              > <yeff@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Cube Folks --
              > >
              > > I got an email from the D.E. Shaw group inviting me to send a resume
              > > due to my Rubik's Cube involvement. I was curious if others got the
              > > same email - it looks like they were essentially scanning either
              > > competiion results or unofficial world records and doing a mass
              > > emailing.
              > >
              > > It's a real company doing real investment, technical and research
              > > work (www.deshaw.com) and thinking about it, for a company like
              > > that, trying to recruit from a group of puzzle solvers is probably a
              > > pretty good idea.
              > >
              > > Here's the start of the email:
              > >
              > > "The D. E. Shaw group is currently looking to hire a small number of
              > > truly gifted individuals with backgrounds in mathematics, computer
              > > science, and other technical fields. I came across your name while
              > > looking for people who have competed successfully in Rubik's Cube
              > > World Competitions. A mastery of algorithms and puzzles,
              > > computational proficiency and analytical curiosity -- these same
              > > skills that made you formidable in cubing competitions are highly
              > > valued in our staff. If you might be interested in exploring
              > > employment opportunities with us, I invite you to submit a copy of
              > > your resume"
              > >
              > > I don't think I'll respond, because I'm happy in my current job at
              > > HP, but I was curious if everyone else got this email as well??
              > >
              > > yeff

            • Jeff Soesbe
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 31, 2006
                Koen --

                Just as a note, their website (http://www.deshaw.com/WhoWeAre.html)
                says that they have "offices in New York, London, Silicon Valley,
                Houston, Kansas City, San Francisco, Washington D.C., and Hyderabad,
                India".

                Take your pick! :-)

                yeff