Re: first two layers upside down

  • cubin4speed
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 15, 2000
      In regards to slowcuber's question:<br>Yes! I
      know exactly what you mean about always using the
      front right as your target slot. When your new target
      slot is in the back or left, keep it there whenever
      possible!<br>This may be hard at first, but soon the moves will
      make sense from any position. <br>If you use this idea
      AND take advantage of all empty slots to shorten your
      moves (as explained by ilovemycube), then you will
      almost never have to turn the cube or waste turns of the
      U layer during the F2L. On a good run you can cube
      straight through the F2L without any pauses.<br><br>I took
      a month or two off from timing in order to practice
      this, and when I started again, I had cut my times by
      to solve the cube without (hardly) ever rotating it,
      and then incorporating that into your solution - this
      is what I was talking about.
    • slowcuber
      Message 51 of 51 , Aug 4, 2000
        Way I memorize moves is: First learn to quickly
        recognize the position in which a move starts. Then, since
        I have a terrible time visualizing where cubes are
        moving, I forget about that. I first just learn the first
        two turns or so of a move; say it starts R U R' U', I
        just try to remember R, or R U. I do that with all the
        moves. Then as a move turns up again and again, I start
        to try to remember the next several turns, R' U'.
        Usually you can see how the move finishes from the last
        three turns or so.<br><br>I also say the move to myself
        as I am doing it when I am learning a new move, I
        find this really helps me.<br><br>And then eventually
        the move is remembered all in my hands. Your hands
        can remember a surprising amount of moves.<br><br>My
        huge problem is finding the cube pairs quickly in F2L;
        that to me is the biggest challenge with this method.