US Nationals 2006

  • Brent Morgan
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1 9:51 AM
      Hey guys,
      It is now official: I can't make it to Nationals this year. Though I really want to, some financial issues are eating me alive this summer... I can't even get a loan to go, since I'm a full-time student (lame banks). I'm still cubing, but I simply don't have the transportation/funds. I considered hitchhiking/bus routes, but I also have classes for the summer at the university, and it would take days for that type of transportation.
      I'm definately not walking out on the cubing thing. "I'll be back."
      good luck everyone. cuberz for life.
      -Brent Morgan

      skeneegee <skeneegee@...> wrote:
      If anyone happens to be crossing the bay bridge towards Oakland at
      night, check out what your cube looks like in the tunnel that goes
      through Yerba Buena Island. Better yet, try to solve it(not if you're
      driving of course).

      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, d_funny007
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Since I'm about to leave soon, I thought it would be a good idea to
      > start a thread for people to exchange some last-minute info.
      >
      > Although most ppl are staying at the Coventry Motor Inn, me, Bob, and
      > ChrisH worked out something over at the Adante Hotel.
      >
      > My cell num. is seven three four, 9 tree for, sx 3 sx too. (I am
      > parinoid of internet bots/cralwers, lol.) Call me if you need a ride,
      > I rented a car and plan to be there for 2 weeks. Say if you want to be
      > picked up from either airport, I'll see what I can do, if you contact
      > me a couple hours prior.
      >
      > Is there anything going on Thursday? Setup and going to see the
      > Exploratorium would be good to do in the afternoon or something. I
      > don't know if that would be a welcome idea though. I think that
      > Thursday night there might be something at either one of the hotel
      > lobbies or Clancy's place (contact me or him about that).
      >
      > I will be doing a lot of touristy stuff, and taking a lot of pics
      > becasue I'm a photography freak. This time I brought my favorite
      > camera and will be sure to take many pictures of you guys (some vid
      > too).
      >
      > So far I got a good idea of who is and isn't comming. I do hear that
      > Brent is having some difficulty with making arrangments, I fear.
      > Perhaps if someone is driving from TX and can give him a lift...
      >
      > I know San Francisco pretty well guys, probably as well as any non-
      > local that will be attending. Btw, the public transit system (BART) is
      > one of the best in the country. It will take you from the airport to a
      > few blocks from almost anything I can think of (most notably Berkeley
      > U, Union Square, and the Wharf/Piers). Well except maybe the
      > Exploratorium... I'm not sure how to get there using only BART and
      > cable cars (busses perhaps?). I can help shuttle ppl form the Coventry
      > to the Exploratorium though if that becomes a problem. I know that not
      > all of you can afford a hefty series of cab fares.
      >
      > If you want to contact me, call me; I won't be reading this forum till
      > after I come back. Good luck with getting things together, and have a
      > safe trip.
      >

      > -Doug (almost packed!!)

      :)
      --Brent

    • d_funny007
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1 1:13 PM
        Good tip, but failing that, do bring a print out of your e-mail
        registration confirmation in order to exploit their half price
        admission offer. I made a reminder a few weeks ago, but even I nearly
        forgot about it when I was packing.

        Anyhow, SanF is *amazing*. It's my first time here. However, it's
        rather crowded downtown between 11am to 7pm for my taste. I guess I
        don't look forward to a dense city as much as I would if I wasn't
        from a dense city myself. Still the archetcture, landscape, and
        diversity here is great. Just becareful of getting mugged (this
        comming form a person who frequents downtowns of Toronto, Detroit,
        and New York). I really didn't think it would be as bad, but I was
        walking around at 1-2am and it got a bit scary. Do avoid Civc Center
        area, as I was later warned by hotel front desk, lol.

        Also if you are a big academic freak, then do visit BerkeleyU. It's
        one of the top 3 when it comes to most branches of mathematics. The
        nieghborhod is reminicent of AA, so it was right up my alley; felt at
        home :). Hem, makes me want to plaster that campus with tournament
        flyers, cuz I bet we could've gotten +20 audience that way.

        Have a safe trip. BTW, your ears might pop riding the subway here...
        BART takes you everywhere, it's very convienient. Well the
        Exploratorium is requires a 15 minute cab ride though (form the
        hotels I suspect you will likely be at).

        Also, when/where will Mr. Cubesmith be?

        Hem, Atante has several computers for internet access, but they
        charge me a little... o_O

        -Doug

        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Tyson Mao <tmao@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > > local that will be attending. Btw, the public transit system
        (BART) is
        > > one of the best in the country. It will take you from the
        airport to a
        > > few blocks from almost anything I can think of (most notably
        Berkeley
        > > U, Union Square, and the Wharf/Piers). Well except maybe the
        > > Exploratorium... I'm not sure how to get there using only BART
        and
        > > cable cars (busses perhaps?). I can help shuttle ppl form the
        Coventry
        > > to the Exploratorium though if that becomes a problem. I know
        that not
        > > all of you can afford a hefty series of cab fares.
        > >
        > > If you want to contact me, call me; I won't be reading this
        forum till
        > > after I come back. Good luck with getting things together, and

      • d_funny007
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1 1:14 PM
          AM/PM? Which day??? Be specific man!

          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Bouchard"
          <logitewty@...> wrote:
          > I'll probably be there at 8:30 then :) I tend to be really early for
          > stuff :) I land in San Fran at 4:20 so if anyone wants to do
          > something on thursday, I know people are doing stuff, just send an
          > e-mail my way...
        • Craig Bouchard
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1 8:21 PM
            I land in San Fran at 4:20 PM on Thursday, will be at the hotel by
            5:00 probably...e-mail me specifically if you want my cell number...I
            wanna do something Thursday night...

            Craig

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > AM/PM? Which day??? Be specific man!
            >
            > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Bouchard"
            > <logitewty@> wrote:
            > > I'll probably be there at 8:30 then :) I tend to be really early for
            > > stuff :) I land in San Fran at 4:20 so if anyone wants to do
            > > something on thursday, I know people are doing stuff, just send an
            > > e-mail my way...

          • Dan Dzoan
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1 9:17 PM
              It's summer right now so there aren't that many people passing through
              campus. There will be a decent number of people from Cal that are
              competing though. At least there should be.

              > Also if you are a big academic freak, then do visit BerkeleyU. It's
              > one of the top 3 when it comes to most branches of mathematics. The
              > nieghborhod is reminicent of AA, so it was right up my alley; felt at
              > home :). Hem, makes me want to plaster that campus with tournament
              > flyers, cuz I bet we could've gotten +20 audience that way.

            • Tim Reynolds
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3 7:30 AM
                I'm getting to San Francisco on Friday around noon, so I'll get to the
                Exploratorium by 1:30 or 2:00. See you all there!

                Tim Reynolds
              • Bruce Norskog
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3 8:15 PM
                  Hi,

                  I've made it to San Francisco. Unfortunately, my luggage did not.
                  I'll be just hanging out at my hotel tonight, waiting to see if my
                  luggage shows up. Fortunately, most critical things I carried on. I
                  may attempt to get to Exploratorium by 9AM.

                  - Bruce

                  --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Reynolds"