Help for WCA website

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2006
      Hi guys,

      We want the WCA website to be cool and up-to-date.
      Currently the website www.worldcubeassociation.org is "ugly", lacks
      some important features and is hardly updated.

      So we need one or two (serious!) people who make a new design and
      implementation of the website.

      We have tried this before but found out that it takes dedication
      from people to make it happen. This is not something that you do in
      1 day and then you are ready. It takes some creativity, design
      skills, good knowledge of a popular web content management system
      and a lot of time!

      We want a site that:
      = looks like what you would expect from an official
      organization: professional and interesting
      = loads fast
      = simple to update by non-technical people
      = uses a popular CMS (see http://www.opensourcecms.com ) with PHP
      and MySQL

      The site will offer all official stuff and the rest will be a
      slightly interactive site with interesting functionality.
      Ideas:
      = organization information (board, reports and so on)
      = regulations (including tournament information sets)
      = events (past and upcoming)
      = records and rankings
      = profiles (interactive stuff)
      = news
      = contact information
      = your ideas...
      For the world rankings we need to finalize the competition pages so
      that we can put all official results on the WCA site. Josef Jelinek
      is doing that part of the site.

      Example websites:
      = http://www.iaaf.org/
      = http://www.uefa.com/
      = http://www.fina.org/

      If you are interested, serious, are willing to spend the required
      time and know what it takes to make the WCA site a big success, then
      please send me an e-mail.

      Thanks!

      Ron
      ron@...
    • Michiel van der Blonk
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1 7:42 PM
        Ron,

        I am a serious web developer with serious skills and also a serious
        lack of free time, and I believe I am not the only one. That's why I
        cannot offer to create a website, but why not try the open source
        idea of lots of people doing small amounts of work? I am willing to
        give advice and occasionally do a little programming or styling.

        Michiel

        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <ron@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys,
        >
        > We want the WCA website to be cool and up-to-date.
        > Currently the website www.worldcubeassociation.org is "ugly",
        lacks
        > some important features and is hardly updated.
        >
        > So we need one or two (serious!) people who make a new design and
        > implementation of the website.

      • Drei Harte
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1 7:46 PM
          Ron, I'm Drei harte on the forums. WHile I might not have perfect website
          crafting skills, I certainly can keep the forums up and running, even take
          the place of updating. I mean, If I had some time, I could figure out how to
          make the site more Appealing. Maybe I can get a chance? Sorry for just
          appearing.