Re: [Speed cubing group] Cube quality/preparation and Solving times

  • jond93
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2006
      Plastic PVC stickers for all cubes are $4.99 USD. You get 3 sets of
      stickers for the 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, and 5x5, each 3 sets cost $4.99.

      They are a ton better than the paper-the paper stickers come off
      with the protectors in about 4 days, the PVC protectors go off fast
      but the color is extremely hard to get off (I scratched at one color
      for 10 minutes with no effect).

      -toad

      Pedro <pedrosino1@...> wrote:

      > Hey Brent
      >
      > I don't know if my main speedcube is a "super loose" one, but
      the other one feels stiffer. I prefer the loose one, 'cause I need
      less effort to turn the sides. But those stupid flat centers (is the
      old white DIY) makes it pops a lot...but I think it can be
      avoided...well...not totally...haha

      > but, strangely, I most use my stiffer cube for one-handed
      cubing...I think the other is kinda "nervous", unstable when I'm
      cubing one-handed...and maybe because I take the stiffer cube to
      school, so that people can borrow and play with it...

      > Also, I use the stiffer one more on BLD cubing, so I have less
      risk of poping...which is very bad on BLD...

      > I'm thinking about buying a new DIY kit...btw, does someone know
      how the PVC stickers from Rubiks are? are they much better than the
      (horrible) paper ones? or should I just buy the one without stickers
      and put on cubesmith stickers/tiles?

      > Pedro
      >
      > Brent Morgan <brentmorganmaster@...> escreveu:
      > Hey guys/gals/pals,
      > When I started cubing, I used a super stiff cube. Now,
      though, my special cube is super loose. I just tried a few averages
      with a stiff cube (really stiff), and some averages using a super
      loose cube. With the really stiff cube, I got averages ranging
      between 16-18 seconds. A few 16.xy averages, with effort. However,
      solving with stiff cubes required different techniques than solving
      with a super loose cube (which I'll mention soon). A rather "brute
      force" moving style was needed, and some good times came up with the
      stiff cube- but didn't come up as often as a loose cube.
      > With a super loose cube, I found it much easier to average
      sub 16. This "brute force" approach is useless with a super loose
      cube- you have to be _very_ gentle, it seems, and the slices/pieces
      move very easily. It takes a little practice to get used to the
      super loose style, however, which isn't a big deal with practice.

      > **Stiff Cubes**
      > --------
      > -(My) Average times: 16.5-18.00
      > -Advantages: Virtually 0% lockups [stiff + smooth]. A "brute
      force" moving style (which I like), which in the end could possibly
      lead to faster moves/second. Less room for moving errors, due to
      smoothness and no lockups.
      > -Disantages to stiff cubes: harder to get faster times (though
      still possible for a few single times). Requires some different
      techniques (takes practice to get used to).

      > **Super loose cubes**
      > ------
      > -(My) Average times: (best ever: 13.88); usually range from 15-
      16.
      > -Advantages to super loose cubes: Capable of very fast times,
      very often.
      > -Disantages to super loose cubes: almost always atleast 1
      lockup, which takes away time. POPs, too, are very often. Requires
      different techniques (takes practice to get used to).

      > So, I ask everyone, what type of cube do you use for speed?
      Hopefully everyone can answer, so a statistic can be gathered.
      Maybe these results are different for each person, but I'm just
      suggesting that a possiblity for better times is the
      quality/preparation of the cube itself.

      > Does anyone else have opinions about this? Please reply if you
      do.

      > Anyhow, peace out friends/fellaz. :)
      > -Brent Morgan
      >

      > :)
      > --Brent

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------

    • Pedro
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2006
        But when you buy the PVC stickers with the DIY kit, they cost $2.00 (10.99 - 8.99), and you get 2 sets...I was wondering what is better...buy the cube that comes just with the lube, and put cubesmith stickers; or buy the one that comes with 2 sets of PVC stickers...

        Pedro

        Pedro <pedrosino1@...> wrote:

> [...]
        techniques (takes practice to get used to).

        > **Super loose cubes**
        > ------
        > -(My) Average times: (best ever: 13.88); usually range from 15-
        16.
        > -Advantages to super loose cubes: Capable of very fast times,
        very often.
        > -Disantages to super loose cubes: almost always atleast 1
        lockup, which takes away time. POPs, too, are very often. Requires
        different techniques (takes practice to get used to).

        > So, I ask everyone, what type of cube do you use for speed?
        Hopefully everyone can answer, so a statistic can be gathered.
        Maybe these results are different for each person, but I'm just
        suggesting that a possiblity for better times is the
        quality/preparation of the cube itself.

        > Does anyone else have opinions about this? Please reply if you

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------

        Jigsaw puzzle game Free puzzle inlay games Educational game and puzzle Word puzzle game Kid puzzle game Puzzle games

      • James Stuber
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2006
          Cubesmith stickers definitely. IMO of course.

          _____

          Pedro <pedrosino1@...> wrote:

> [...]
          techniques (takes practice to get used to).

          > **Super loose cubes**
          > ------
          > -(My) Average times: (best ever: 13.88); usually range from 15-
          16.
          > -Advantages to super loose cubes: Capable of very fast times,
          very often.
          > -Disantages to super loose cubes: almost always atleast 1
          lockup, which takes away time. POPs, too, are very often. Requires
          different techniques (takes practice to get used to).

          > So, I ask everyone, what type of cube do you use for speed?
          Hopefully everyone can answer, so a statistic can be gathered.
          Maybe these results are different for each person, but I'm just
          suggesting that a possiblity for better times is the
          quality/preparation of the cube itself.

          > Does anyone else have opinions about this? Please reply if you

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------

          Jigsaw puzzle game Free puzzle inlay games Educational game and
          puzzle Word puzzle game Kid puzzle game Puzzle games

          Jigsaw
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Jigsaw+puzzle+game&w1=Jigsaw+puzzle+gam
          e&w2=Free+puzzle+inlay+games&w3=Educational+game+and+puzzle&w4=Word+puzzle+g
          ame&w5=Kid+puzzle+game&w6=Puzzle+games&c=6&s=147&.sig=irjrM9wdJDBnytECiSfUCw
          > puzzle game

          Free
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Free+puzzle+inlay+games&w1=Jigsaw+puzzl
          e+game&w2=Free+puzzle+inlay+games&w3=Educational+game+and+puzzle&w4=Word+puz
          zle+game&w5=Kid+puzzle+game&w6=Puzzle+games&c=6&s=147&.sig=5IEF0wvHk31uvuXI6
          ReWEw> puzzle inlay games

          Educational
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Educational+game+and+puzzle&w1=Jigsaw+p
          uzzle+game&w2=Free+puzzle+inlay+games&w3=Educational+game+and+puzzle&w4=Word
          +puzzle+game&w5=Kid+puzzle+game&w6=Puzzle+games&c=6&s=147&.sig=37T2K_4zOte4R
          94IVKMFNQ> game and puzzle

          Word
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Word+puzzle+game&w1=Jigsaw+puzzle+game&
          w2=Free+puzzle+inlay+games&w3=Educational+game+and+puzzle&w4=Word+puzzle+gam
          e&w5=Kid+puzzle+game&w6=Puzzle+games&c=6&s=147&.sig=3DsIilZKH4dSS_WgIx9QRg>
          puzzle game

          Kid
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Kid+puzzle+game&w1=Jigsaw+puzzle+game&w
          2=Free+puzzle+inlay+games&w3=Educational+game+and+puzzle&w4=Word+puzzle+game
          &w5=Kid+puzzle+game&w6=Puzzle+games&c=6&s=147&.sig=2-DgzSlkRkTyIak1hdhkgQ>
          puzzle game

          Puzzle
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Puzzle+games&w1=Jigsaw+puzzle+game&w2=F
          ree+puzzle+inlay+games&w3=Educational+game+and+puzzle&w4=Word+puzzle+game&w5
          =Kid+puzzle+game&w6=Puzzle+games&c=6&s=147&.sig=EJHY58oeC85Up2uB7KhBMA>
          games

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "speedsolvingrubikscube
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/speedsolvingrubikscube> " on the web.

          be>

          _____

        • jond93
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3, 2006
            In paper stickers, they all come off with the protectos, with the
            PVC, they don't.

            -toad

            Pedro <pedrosino1@...> wrote:

> [...]
            Requires
            > different techniques (takes practice to get used to).
            > >
            > > So, I ask everyone, what type of cube do you use for speed?
            > Hopefully everyone can answer, so a statistic can be gathered.
            > Maybe these results are different for each person, but I'm just
            > suggesting that a possiblity for better times is the
            > quality/preparation of the cube itself.
            > >
            > > Does anyone else have opinions about this? Please reply if
            you
            > do.
            > >
            > > Anyhow, peace out friends/fellaz. :)
            > > -Brent Morgan
            > >

            > > :)
            > > --Brent

            > Service.
            > >

            > > ---------------------------------

            > Jigsaw puzzle game Free puzzle inlay games Educational
            game and puzzle Word puzzle game Kid puzzle game Puzzle

          • Mike Stewart
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3, 2006
              I have no idea how to describe my cube. I just scrubbed and lubed it
              last night, and today, it does double turns with about the same
              strength it took me to do a quarter turn. Sometimes my U layer moves a
              half turn when doing RUR'U' now. Anyways, my times have ranged from
              high fifties(first solve with it) to a 27.xx (best time). I still
              don't know whether I want to "unlube" it or try to get used to it as
              it is.

              Mike

              "jond93" <jond93@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > Requires
              > > different techniques (takes practice to get used to).
              > > >
              > > > So, I ask everyone, what type of cube do you use for speed?
              > > Hopefully everyone can answer, so a statistic can be gathered.
              > > Maybe these results are different for each person, but I'm just
              > > suggesting that a possiblity for better times is the
              > > quality/preparation of the cube itself.
              > > >
              > > > Does anyone else have opinions about this? Please reply if
              > you
              > > do.
              > > >
              > > > Anyhow, peace out friends/fellaz. :)
              > > > -Brent Morgan
              > > >

              > > > :)
              > > > --Brent

              > > Service.
              > > >

              > > > ---------------------------------

              > > Jigsaw puzzle game Free puzzle inlay games Educational
              > game and puzzle Word puzzle game Kid puzzle game Puzzle

            • Joël van Noort
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2006
                Hey Brent,

                Well... I can say I prefer cubes that are super loose, and I also
                have a 'gentle style', that is adjusted to this loose cube. I prefer
                loose and smooth cubes (internals should be smooth), and I also like
                it when the lube is still a little wet.. :).

                To illustrate how loose it is, and how I adjusted my style to it: I
                barely ever pop with my cube, but when I gave my cube to Ton
                Dennebroek at a Dutch meeting recently, he popped after 5 seconds. I
                think this is quite typical... In order to cube, I have to be
                extremely relaxed and smooth. I kinda trained myself a relaxed and
                focussed style... (inspired by some cool cubers).

                I also have some new DIY's, that are quite loose, but not smooth
                inside yet, and with those cubes I can't come at the same speed that
                I have with my main speedcube. With the main speedcube, I average
                under 15 seconds quite frequently now, but with the newer cubes,
                sub16 is pretty hard.

                - Joël.

                --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Brent Morgan