Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Ambidexterity

Expand Messages
  • thomkirjava
    I ve been trying to become ambidextrous for a while now, and I m thinking of starting to apply it to cubing, even if it s only handy so you don t have to
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      I've been trying to become ambidextrous for a while now, and I'm
      thinking of starting to apply it to cubing, even if it's only handy so
      you don't have to change your hand positions.

      I've learnt the T-perm with the left hand and am trying fingertricks
      to build up skills.

      The thing is, methods in general are one-handed. You do most of the
      moves with one hand and most tricks. Maybe if you get good at both
      hands you can apply tricks and maybe do things simultaneously?

      Thing is, when you get to a senario where you're just using U and M,
      you use both hands a lot. Mostly for U, as M is a bit weird about
      being used :P

      So do you think there are any advanges to this? I can't think of
      anything particularly good, but maybe someone knows something. Less U
      rotations during PLL/OLL maybe?

      I can imagine it'd help you mirrors algs more easily though :)

      ~Thom
    • cmhardw
      Hey Thom, I ve also been trying to become more ambidextrous, in all things not just cubing. I can write slowly left handed with poorer handwriting but still
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 30, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        Hey Thom,

        I've also been trying to become more ambidextrous, in all things not
        just cubing. I can write slowly left handed with poorer handwriting
        but still legible and am almost to the point where I can throw a
        baseball left handed with some speed, but it still feels weird to me.

        As for ambi-cubing I think it helps definitely. I've found that I'm
        not really ambidextrous, but that my hands are better at different
        things. My right hand is good with dextrous hand/wrist movements.
        Triggers like [(R U') (R' U)] which are "harder triggers" than
        somthing like (R U R') I tend to prefer right handed. More finger
        based triggers (LUF type algs) and also finger things like cup
        stacking or one-handed cubing I tend to be better at left handed. I
        cup stack left handed and I do my T perm (LUF alg) left handed.
        I've even tried to get my right handed T perm as fast as my left
        handed one and I can't do it, my lefty T is faster by a quarter of a
        second consistently.

        As to your question, I think ambi-cubing is a really good idea.
        Even if you don't do everything with both hands equally well, try to
        find the strengths for each of your hands. I tend to use hand/wrist
        movements with my right hand and finger triggers with my left when I
        have a choice.

        Just my rambling 0.02

        Chris

        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "thomkirjava"
        <snkenjoi@...> wrote:
        >
        > I've been trying to become ambidextrous for a while now, and I'm
        > thinking of starting to apply it to cubing, even if it's only
        handy so
        > you don't have to change your hand positions.
        >
        > I've learnt the T-perm with the left hand and am trying
        fingertricks
        > to build up skills.
        >
        > The thing is, methods in general are one-handed. You do most of the
        > moves with one hand and most tricks. Maybe if you get good at both
        > hands you can apply tricks and maybe do things simultaneously?
        >
        > Thing is, when you get to a senario where you're just using U and
        M,
        > you use both hands a lot. Mostly for U, as M is a bit weird about
        > being used :P
        >
        > So do you think there are any advanges to this? I can't think of
        > anything particularly good, but maybe someone knows something.
        Less U
        > rotations during PLL/OLL maybe?
        >
        > I can imagine it'd help you mirrors algs more easily though :)
        >
        > ~Thom
        >
      • athefre
        I ve also been trying to do this with cubing. My Ls, L s, U s, and F s are pretty fast but I still have a hard time with M. I can do M fast but not M. The
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 30, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          I've also been trying to do this with cubing. My Ls, L's, U's, and F's
          are pretty fast but I still have a hard time with M. I can do M' fast
          but not M. The cube tends to get mis-aligned.
        • Mike Bennett
          I have exactly the same experience as Chris with left and right handedness, as far as cubing is concerned. It s one of the reasons I prefer algs in LUR,
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 30, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            I have exactly the same experience as Chris with left and right handedness,
            as far as cubing is concerned. It's one of the reasons I prefer algs in
            LUR, instead of RUF(D) like a lot of people. A lot of commutators and COLL
            cases are very nice reflections of others that way, and things of that
            nature.

            I even know a lot of algs from both directions, or even multiple directions
            (a lot of Sune type cases, some corner swaps, and some miscellaneous
            orientations). More angles means fewer rotations means less time lost means
            faster solves.

            Go for it.

            -Mike

            On 3/30/06, cmhardw <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            >
            > Hey Thom,
            >
            > I've also been trying to become more ambidextrous, in all things not
            > just cubing. I can write slowly left handed with poorer handwriting
            > but still legible and am almost to the point where I can throw a
            > baseball left handed with some speed, but it still feels weird to me.
            >
            > As for ambi-cubing I think it helps definitely. I've found that I'm
            > not really ambidextrous, but that my hands are better at different
            > things. My right hand is good with dextrous hand/wrist movements.
            > Triggers like [(R U') (R' U)] which are "harder triggers" than
            > somthing like (R U R') I tend to prefer right handed. More finger
            > based triggers (LUF type algs) and also finger things like cup
            > stacking or one-handed cubing I tend to be better at left handed. I
            > cup stack left handed and I do my T perm (LUF alg) left handed.
            > I've even tried to get my right handed T perm as fast as my left
            > handed one and I can't do it, my lefty T is faster by a quarter of a
            > second consistently.
            >
            > As to your question, I think ambi-cubing is a really good idea.
            > Even if you don't do everything with both hands equally well, try to
            > find the strengths for each of your hands. I tend to use hand/wrist
            > movements with my right hand and finger triggers with my left when I
            > have a choice.
            >
            > Just my rambling 0.02
            >
            > Chris


            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Pedro
            Some time ago I tought: I ll do T perm left-handed ...well, my right-handed version is way faster...haha...but this can be useful, surely. But my left hand is
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 30, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              Some time ago I tought: "I'll do T perm left-handed"...well, my right-handed version is way faster...haha...but this can be useful, surely.

              But my left hand is a bit egotistic...it wants to do all the moves...haha
              that, or my right hand is jealous, and don't want to help the left...haha...LOL
              maybe I just have to practice doing at least the U with the right...

              Pedro

              Mike Bennett <mikeisadumbname@...> escreveu:
              I have exactly the same experience as Chris with left and right handedness,
              as far as cubing is concerned. It's one of the reasons I prefer algs in
              LUR, instead of RUF(D) like a lot of people. A lot of commutators and COLL
              cases are very nice reflections of others that way, and things of that
              nature.

              I even know a lot of algs from both directions, or even multiple directions
              (a lot of Sune type cases, some corner swaps, and some miscellaneous
              orientations). More angles means fewer rotations means less time lost means
              faster solves.

              Go for it.

              -Mike

              On 3/30/06, cmhardw <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              >
              > Hey Thom,
              >
              > I've also been trying to become more ambidextrous, in all things not
              > just cubing. I can write slowly left handed with poorer handwriting
              > but still legible and am almost to the point where I can throw a
              > baseball left handed with some speed, but it still feels weird to me.
              >
              > As for ambi-cubing I think it helps definitely. I've found that I'm
              > not really ambidextrous, but that my hands are better at different
              > things. My right hand is good with dextrous hand/wrist movements.
              > Triggers like [(R U') (R' U)] which are "harder triggers" than
              > somthing like (R U R') I tend to prefer right handed. More finger
              > based triggers (LUF type algs) and also finger things like cup
              > stacking or one-handed cubing I tend to be better at left handed. I
              > cup stack left handed and I do my T perm (LUF alg) left handed.
              > I've even tried to get my right handed T perm as fast as my left
              > handed one and I can't do it, my lefty T is faster by a quarter of a
              > second consistently.
              >
              > As to your question, I think ambi-cubing is a really good idea.
              > Even if you don't do everything with both hands equally well, try to
              > find the strengths for each of your hands. I tend to use hand/wrist
              > movements with my right hand and finger triggers with my left when I
              > have a choice.
              >
              > Just my rambling 0.02
              >
              > Chris


              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



              SPONSORED LINKS
              Jigsaw puzzle game Free puzzle inlay games Educational game and puzzle Word puzzle game Kid puzzle game Puzzle games

              ---------------------------------
              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS


              Visit your group "speedsolvingrubikscube" on the web.

              To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              speedsolvingrubikscube-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


              ---------------------------------





              ---------------------------------
              Yahoo! Acesso Grátis
              Internet rápida e grátis. Instale o discador agora!

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Joël van Noort
              Hi Thom, I use my left hand a lot to help my right hand a litte. It can work very fast if both of my hand cooperate.. I have noticed that both of my hands are
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 31, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi Thom,

                I use my left hand a lot to help my right hand a litte. It can work
                very fast if both of my hand cooperate..

                I have noticed that both of my hands are dexterous, only they can do
                different types of moves.

                - Joël.

                --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "thomkirjava"
                <snkenjoi@...> wrote:
                >
                > I've been trying to become ambidextrous for a while now, and I'm
                > thinking of starting to apply it to cubing, even if it's only
                handy so
                > you don't have to change your hand positions.
                >
                > I've learnt the T-perm with the left hand and am trying
                fingertricks
                > to build up skills.
                >
                > The thing is, methods in general are one-handed. You do most of the
                > moves with one hand and most tricks. Maybe if you get good at both
                > hands you can apply tricks and maybe do things simultaneously?
                >
                > Thing is, when you get to a senario where you're just using U and
                M,
                > you use both hands a lot. Mostly for U, as M is a bit weird about
                > being used :P
                >
                > So do you think there are any advanges to this? I can't think of
                > anything particularly good, but maybe someone knows something.
                Less U
                > rotations during PLL/OLL maybe?
                >
                > I can imagine it'd help you mirrors algs more easily though :)
                >
                > ~Thom
                >
              • Mike Bennett
                I forgot another good piece of advice: Try one handed cubing with both hands. It helps a ton. -Mike [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 31, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  I forgot another good piece of advice:

                  Try one handed cubing with both hands. It helps a ton.

                  -Mike


                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • thomkirjava
                  ... I had to read that twice before I got it :P yeah, of course I use my left hand to do some algs, and it s better at some things than my right hand. But I m
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 31, 2006
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Bennett"
                    <mikeisadumbname@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > I forgot another good piece of advice:
                    >
                    > Try one handed cubing with both hands. It helps a ton.
                    >
                    > -Mike
                    >
                    >
                    > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    >

                    I had to read that twice before I got it :P

                    yeah, of course I use my left hand to do some algs, and it's better at
                    some things than my right hand. But I'm after true ambidexterity,
                    where I can do any move with either hand. I'm happy for a compromise,
                    though.

                    This isn't really related to cubing too much, it's mroe of a life
                    goal, but i wondered if it'd help.

                    I do do one-handed with my 'weak' hand though.

                    On another note, I did my maths lesson with my left hand again today :D

                    ~Thom
                  • Timothy Sun
                    Interesting, since I do the same. I m left-handed, yet I feel more comfortable on my right hand. I ve never seen any one-hand cubers use their right hands...
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 31, 2006
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Interesting, since I do the same. I'm left-handed, yet I feel more
                      comfortable on my right hand. I've never seen any one-hand cubers
                      use their right hands... and I don't think there are that many
                      lefties, are there?

                      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "thomkirjava"
                      <snkenjoi@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Bennett"
                      > <mikeisadumbname@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I forgot another good piece of advice:
                      > >
                      > > Try one handed cubing with both hands. It helps a ton.
                      > >
                      > > -Mike
                      > >
                      > >
                      > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      > >
                      >
                      > I had to read that twice before I got it :P
                      >
                      > yeah, of course I use my left hand to do some algs, and it's
                      better at
                      > some things than my right hand. But I'm after true ambidexterity,
                      > where I can do any move with either hand. I'm happy for a
                      compromise,
                      > though.
                      >
                      > This isn't really related to cubing too much, it's mroe of a life
                      > goal, but i wondered if it'd help.
                      >
                      > I do do one-handed with my 'weak' hand though.
                      >
                      > On another note, I did my maths lesson with my left hand again
                      today :D
                      >
                      > ~Thom
                      >
                    • Mike Bennett
                      I use either hand depending on which feels better. I generally switch off every other. They re pretty close in speed. I did my three solves in Orlando with
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 31, 2006
                      • 0 Attachment
                        I use either hand depending on which feels better. I generally switch off
                        every other. They're pretty close in speed. I did my three solves in
                        Orlando with my left, right, and right again.

                        -Mike


                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      • Rune Wesström
                        ... From: Timothy Sun To: Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 8:23 PM Subject: [Speed cubing group]
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 31, 2006
                        • 0 Attachment
                          ----- Original Message -----
                          From: "Timothy Sun" <linkpoke@...>
                          To: <speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com>
                          Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 8:23 PM
                          Subject: [Speed cubing group] Re: Ambidexterity


                          > Interesting, since I do the same. I'm left-handed, yet I feel more
                          > comfortable on my right hand. I've never seen any one-hand cubers
                          > use their right hands... and I don't think there are that many
                          > lefties, are there?
                          >
                          > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "thomkirjava"
                          > <snkenjoi@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Bennett"
                          > > <mikeisadumbname@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I forgot another good piece of advice:
                          > > >
                          > > > Try one handed cubing with both hands. It helps a ton.

                          And here another piece of advice:
                          ......To be able to use both hands equally well, practice is the key. During the day, use your left hand more (if you're right-handed) by consciously switching when you're about ready to do something -- pouring a glass of milk, bouncing a ball, flipping and picking up coins, hammering a nail, cutting and buttering bread, stirring your coffee, swirling water in a glass, twisting off bottle caps, etc. Wherever you would use your one hand, use the other instead -- putting a key in the door, combing your hair, brushing your teeth, shaving, grasping objects, etc. When putting on your clothes, put your other hand or foot into the garment first. Thread your belt around your waist in the opposite direction. Put your watch on your other hand. Use your other hand in sports -- hitting a baseball or a tennis ball, throwing a football, shooting a basketball, etc. Practice stirring 2 cups of tea simultaneously, swirling 2 half filled glasses of water clockwise and counterclockwise, and bouncing two balls at the same time. Get used to the kinesthetic feeling of using the muscles of both your hands and arms together. Catch 2 balls thrown to you at the same time. Throw 2 paper wads at the same time into the same paper basket -- one underhand and the other overhand. Throw 2 darts simultaneously at a dart board with both hands. Write with both hands at the same time. Draw a butterfly, a vase or a geometric figure using both hands simultaneously, but keep practicing these exercises.
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.