Re: [Speed cubing group] Favorite Cube, and 3x3 you're best at

  • Anthony Hsu
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 29, 2006
      From: "jond93" <jond93@...>
      To: <speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 9:18 PM
      Subject: [Speed cubing group] Favorite Cube, and 3x3 you're best at
      > What is your favorite Rubik's Cube (no pyraminx, etc...)?

      The 3x3x3, without a doubt. It's the classic cube that started it all.
      Definitely my favorite by far.

      Anthony Hsu
    • Timothy Sun
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29, 2006
        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Hsu
        <erwaman@...> wrote:

> [...]

        5x5x5. I figured it out all by myself, that's why I like it. :) Bleh,
        if all Rubik's puzzles allowed, it'd have to be Magic or Megaminx.
      • Per Kristen Fredlund
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
          Hi :-)

          Megaminx is not a rubik's puzzle. I wouldn't really call the 5x5x5 a
          rubik's puzzle either since it was invented by Udo Krell in 1983.
          Likewise the 4x4x4 was invented by Peter Sebesteny in 1982. However
          rubiks.com do sell those 2 latter puzzles and have right to do so ;-)

          Megaminx is invented by Uwe Meffert and sold by Mefferts ;-)

          My favorite is also the 5x5x5 cube, at least when it comes to
          speedcubing. I also like fewest moves puzling on various puzzles,
          particularly on the 3x3x3 6-color cube (and supercube).

          Cheers!

          -Per

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Per Kristen Fredlund"
            <aspiring_to_love@...> wrote:

            > Megaminx is invented by Uwe Meffert and sold by Mefferts ;-)

            Sure? Have a look at the introductory quotes:
            http://www.geocities.com/jaapsch/puzzles/megaminx.htm
          • Per Kristen Fredlund
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
              AAhhh ....

              Okay, i have actually heard of something called the Halpern-Meier
              pyramid. But anyway, my point was that the Megaminx is not a rubik
              invention ;-) His name is credited to far too many puzzles. This
              actually brings the real inventors into discredit and is not fair. We
              as a community should know better than the average man in the street
              and should honor the proper originators of each puzzle :-) This should
              be reflected in how we refer to the various puzzles. Adding rubik to
              the "name" of all kinds of possible 3d-twisting puzzles does not make
              sense ;-)

              Greets!

              -Per

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
                <aspiring_to_love@...> wrote:

                > AAhhh ....
                >
                > Okay, i have actually heard of something called the Halpern-Meier
                > pyramid. But anyway, my point was that the Megaminx is not a rubik
                > invention ;-) His name is credited to far too many puzzles. This
                > actually brings the real inventors into discredit and is not fair.
                We
                > as a community should know better than the average man in the street
                > and should honor the proper originators of each puzzle :-) This
                should
                > be reflected in how we refer to the various puzzles. Adding rubik to
                > the "name" of all kinds of possible 3d-twisting puzzles does not
                make
                > sense ;-)
                >
                > Greets!
                >
                > -Per

                It does make sense if you don't see "Rubik" strictly only as the name
                of the person but as the name of the genre.

                Compare to this, look at both definitions:
                http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=kleenex&btnG=Go+Dictionary

              • Timothy Sun
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
                  --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Per Kristen
                  Fredlund" <aspiring_to_love@...> wrote:

                  > Hi :-)
                  >
                  > Megaminx is not a rubik's puzzle. I wouldn't really call the 5x5x5
                  > rubik's puzzle either since it was invented by Udo Krell in 1983.
                  > Likewise the 4x4x4 was invented by Peter Sebesteny in 1982.
                  However
                  > rubiks.com do sell those 2 latter puzzles and have right to do
                  so ;-)

                  > Megaminx is invented by Uwe Meffert and sold by Mefferts ;-)
                  >
                  > My favorite is also the 5x5x5 cube, at least when it comes to
                  > speedcubing. I also like fewest moves puzling on various puzzles,
                  > particularly on the 3x3x3 6-color cube (and supercube).
                  >
                  > Cheers!
                  >
                  > -Per

                  Well you see, once you put it to Prof. Rubik's puzzles only, we're
                  limited to only a handful. :P