Re: [Speed cubing group] bld video

    Message 1 of 85 , Feb 28, 2006
      Hi Lars,

      Sure... people have only begun to scratch the surface of what's
      possible to do in blindfold cubing, which is why I do not believe
      people can memorize in 10 seconds at this point. Maybe later, but
      right now, I haven't heard of anyone dedicated enough to the sport.

      Someone who could come close to memorizing in 10 seconds, 15, or even
      20 seconds, would have to have practiced the cube very much... just
      like the chess masters you're talking about. They would be able to
      give us novel insight to the sport. I have yet to see anyone produce
      this kind of knowledge regarding blindfold cubing... except for maybe
      Stefan. Stefan's just holding back because he doesn't want to make me
      feel bad.

      Tyson Mao
      Astrophysics '06
      California Institute of Technology

      On Feb 28, 2006, at 10:07 PM, Lars Petrus wrote:

      > I'm reminded of how chess masters can be shown a complex chess
      > position for a fraction of a second, and remember it exactly. Not
      > because they have fantastic memorization techniques, but because they
      > UNDERSTAND chess so well. Or how most of us can spot complex emotions
      > on a face immediately. That one's mostly instinctual, but it shows
      > the visual/cognitive processing power we have and can tap into.
      >
      > I don't see any reason why people couldn't, with a lot of talent and
      > years of dedicated practice, do the same thing with a 3x3x3. It
      > doesn't hold more information than a face or a chess position.
      >
      > People have only begun to scratch the surface of what's possible to
      > do in blindfold cubing.
      >
      > /Lars (tm)
      >
      > On Feb 26, 2006, at 22:45, Tyson Mao wrote:
      >
      >> So I guess I'm very interested in what type of memory techniques are
      >> used to memorize the cube in under 25 seconds. Even if I could look
      >> around the three-dimensional cube that fast, how can one process
      >> information in the mind so quickly? If you could process information
      >> in a one-pass memorization format at 1 second per piece of
      >> information,
      >> memorization of the cube could take place in about 30 seconds every
      >> time. That, my friend, would be absolutely beautiful.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Gilles Roux
      Message 85 of 85 , Apr 8, 2006
        Hehe.

        I read that "roux cubes" were very useful in cooking too, but I don't
        know exactly what they are. Some funny quotes I found on the web:
        - "I used a quick roux substitute method I'd read about on another
        cooking website".
        - "Many Cajun grandmothers have switched over to instant roux because
        it is easier and quicker".
        - "I suppose you could make a roux in the microwave, and I guess that
        with practice you can learn how to do it properly. But it seems like a
        pretty dicey proposition to me."

        Roux is such a common name (about 60000 Rouxes in France), it's not
        very surprising some have given their name to things like cube objects.

        Gilles.

        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Lars Petrus <lars@...>