Re: cube lube

  • bobbit_at_mac_dot_com
    Message 1 of 45 , May 8, 2002
      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@y..., krrash <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > Well, it could break your cube. I think that it could erode the
      > plastic. Vaseline does the same thing. This could actually
      improve
      > how your cube works. You'll have to try for yourself to find out.
      > Just don't be surprised if you lube up your cube with baby oil,
      put
      > it in a box for a few years, take it out and it is mush.
      >
      > Silicone spray lubricant won't damage your cube, and most
      people seem
      > to like how it works pretty well.

      Will it damage your cube for sure? I know vaseline is not good,
      because it is a petroleum based lubricant which attacks plastic.
      Is baby oil petroleum based?

      Click here
      http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/pro_products/baby_oil.asp

      It says mineral oil, but it also says fragranced, is that the bad
      part?
    • cubelube
      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 11, 2007
        > I'd be interested in trying it out, it is a good price I think.
        > (Though I still suspect the guy is making a good profit.)

        Was wondering where all these hits were coming from, so decided to pop
        over and see what was being said. Yes, I own the site in question.

        To address some of the points that you raised: It is in fact the same
        thing as what is in the syringes. If you've ever accidentally
        squirted way too much out and had it leak out of the cube all over
        your hands (easy to do with those darn things at first), you know it
        has a _very_ distinctive feel and scent. It is unmistakeably the same.

        Yeah, the site isn't the best looking thing in the world. This is
        just a hobby, certainly not a business by any stretch of the
        imagination. You will in fact receive what you order, but being a
        hobby it may take a day or two before it is actually shipped.

        I'm glad you find the current prices acceptable. What you may be very
        surprised about though is this is currently being sold at near ZERO
        profit as a short term experiment. (More historical data == more fun
        number crunching).

        You have to realize all the costs involved which you may overlook at
        first glance. First, liquid is very heavy. And weight equals high
        shipping costs to get the stuff in the first place. Empty HDPE
        bottles and tops cost money, and it ain't measured in pennies. Can be
        as much as $0.50 each for the larger sizes. Ah, and of course those
        have to be shipped too. Bandwidth costs money. PayPal charges fees
        on incoming payments. Add to that labels, boxes, packing material, etc.

        What some companies like to do is have low product prices but then
        pass on all costs to the customer in the form of grossly inflated
        shipping. Since you usually don't see this until the last step of the
        checkout process I think that is underhanded and refuse to do so.

        Also the web is no longer a "build it and they will come" playing
        field. Even for a hobby site, if you want visitors you must usually
        pay for them, at least for a few months. Let's look at hypothetical
        site example: The absolute minimum cost per click is usually around
        $0.05. With a conversion rate of say 3%, when you go to site XYZ and
        order something, they may well have paid over $1.67 just to get you to
        the site.

        I think you can start to see how one tiny little bottle can exceed a
        few dollars in actual cost NOT EVEN INCLUDING the cost of the actual
        liquid itself. Sure, if I wanted to invest several thousand dollars
        and get some things by the crate I would save a marginal amount in
        costs. But being just a hobby I am not prepared to do that.

        So I do have to chuckle when I read comments on other forums talking
        about "big time profit". How many of you would spend 10 minutes
        filling up a bottle, packing it in a box, and printing a shipping
        label for less than a dollar profit? Not many, to be sure.

        Anyway, if you'd like to give the lube a try just pop on over and I'll
        get some out to you. At the current prices you don't have much to
        lose either way.