Re: [Speed cubing group] Re: New 3x3x3 World Record

  • Leyan Lo
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 16, 2006
      Hey guys,

      That 11.13 second solve I had had a PLL skip. No world record for me in
      my eyes. Many thanks to Tyson for running the competition.

      Leyan "Macky is still my hero" Lo

      Craig Bouchard wrote:
      > ...My 2 cents...
      >
      > Betting it was lucky :p sorry Leyan if it wasn't...but...Leyan's
      > previous best was set a few days ago using Tyson's cube with a time of
      > 11.97...so he either got a new PB, or it was lucky...now an American
      > has the North American record...grrrrrrrrrrrrr...
      >
      > Craig
      >

      > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <iwinoky@y...> wrote:
      >
      >>Hi All,
      >>
      >>The official 3x3x3 single solve world record was broken today at the
      >>Caltech Winter Competition. Leyan Lo set a time of 11.13 seconds.
      >>
      >>Tyson left a message on my phone and asked me to post since they don't
      >>have internet right now.
      >>
      >>Ian
      >>

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Per Kristen Fredlund
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 16, 2006
        Hmm ...

        Im not too sure about the rules, but i think that would count as an
        official world record anyhow, even how lucky the solve is. This is
        because the scramble is same for everyone at that competition. Had u
        achieved that at home it's another matter :-)

        Cheers!

        -Per

        > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Leyan Lo
        <leyanlo@g...> wrote:

        > Hey guys,
        >
        > That 11.13 second solve I had had a PLL skip. No world record for
        me in
        > my eyes. Many thanks to Tyson for running the competition.
        >
        > Leyan "Macky is still my hero" Lo
        >

        > Craig Bouchard wrote:
        > > ...My 2 cents...
        > >
        > > Betting it was lucky :p sorry Leyan if it wasn't...but...Leyan's
        > > previous best was set a few days ago using Tyson's cube with a
        time of
        > > 11.97...so he either got a new PB, or it was lucky...now an
        American
        > > has the North American record...grrrrrrrrrrrrr...
        > >
        > > Craig
        > >

        > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Ian"
        <iwinoky@y...> wrote:

        > >>Hi All,
        > >>
        > >>The official 3x3x3 single solve world record was broken today at
        the
        > >>Caltech Winter Competition. Leyan Lo set a time of 11.13 seconds.
        > >>
        > >>Tyson left a message on my phone and asked me to post since they
        don't
        > >>have internet right now.
        > >>
        > >>Ian
        > >>

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Gilles Roux
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 16, 2006
          wrote:

          > Hey guys,
          >
          > That 11.13 second solve I had had a PLL skip. No world record for
          me in
          > my eyes.

          It's not THE world record (best average), but *it is a world record*.

          Gilles.
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 16, 2006
            Without a doubt (funny... the phrase sounds familiar) that solve is the
            world record fastest solve. We cannot define lucky.

            Tyson Mao
            MSC #631
            California Institute of Technology

            On Jan 16, 2006, at 1:09 AM, Per Kristen Fredlund wrote:

            > Hmm ...
            >
            > Im not too sure about the rules, but i think that would count as an
            > official world record anyhow, even how lucky the solve is. This is
            > because the scramble is same for everyone at that competition. Had u
            > achieved that at home it's another matter :-)
            >
            > Cheers!
            >
            > -Per
            >
            >> --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Leyan Lo
            > <leyanlo@g...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hey guys,
            >>
            >> That 11.13 second solve I had had a PLL skip. No world record for
            > me in
            >> my eyes. Many thanks to Tyson for running the competition.
            >>
            >> Leyan "Macky is still my hero" Lo
            >>

            >> Craig Bouchard wrote:
            >>> ...My 2 cents...
            >>>
            >>> Betting it was lucky :p sorry Leyan if it wasn't...but...Leyan's
            >>> previous best was set a few days ago using Tyson's cube with a
            > time of
            >>> 11.97...so he either got a new PB, or it was lucky...now an
            > American
            >>> has the North American record...grrrrrrrrrrrrr...
            >>>
            >>> Craig
            >>>

            >>> --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Ian"

            > the

            > don't

            >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Pedro
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 16, 2006
              And you're going to give us the scramble, don't you?

              Pedro

              Tyson Mao <tmao@...> escreveu:
              Without a doubt (funny... the phrase sounds familiar) that solve is the
              world record fastest solve. We cannot define lucky.

              Tyson Mao
              MSC #631
              California Institute of Technology

              On Jan 16, 2006, at 1:09 AM, Per Kristen Fredlund wrote:

              > Hmm ...
              >
              > Im not too sure about the rules, but i think that would count as an
              > official world record anyhow, even how lucky the solve is. This is
              > because the scramble is same for everyone at that competition. Had u
              > achieved that at home it's another matter :-)
              >
              > Cheers!
              >
              > -Per
              >
              >> --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Leyan Lo
              > <leyanlo@g...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Hey guys,
              >>
              >> That 11.13 second solve I had had a PLL skip. No world record for
              > me in
              >> my eyes. Many thanks to Tyson for running the competition.
              >>
              >> Leyan "Macky is still my hero" Lo
              >>

              >> Craig Bouchard wrote:
              >>> ...My 2 cents...
              >>>
              >>> Betting it was lucky :p sorry Leyan if it wasn't...but...Leyan's
              >>> previous best was set a few days ago using Tyson's cube with a
              > time of
              >>> 11.97...so he either got a new PB, or it was lucky...now an
              > American
              >>> has the North American record...grrrrrrrrrrrrr...
              >>>
              >>> Craig
              >>>

              >>> --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Ian"

              > the

              > don't

              >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

              Jigsaw puzzle game Free puzzle inlay games Educational game and puzzle Word puzzle game Kid puzzle game Puzzle games

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 16, 2006
                What are you saying? Why do you care?

                On Jan 14, 2006, at 8:30 PM, Craig Bouchard wrote:

                > ...My 2 cents...
                >
                > Betting it was lucky :p sorry Leyan if it wasn't...but...Leyan's
                > previous best was set a few days ago using Tyson's cube with a time of
                > 11.97...so he either got a new PB, or it was lucky...now an American
                > has the North American record...grrrrrrrrrrrrr...
                >
                > Craig
                >

                > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <iwinoky@y...>
                > wrote:
                >>
                >> Hi All,
                >>
                >> The official 3x3x3 single solve world record was broken today at the
                >> Caltech Winter Competition. Leyan Lo set a time of 11.13 seconds.
                >>
                >> Tyson left a message on my phone and asked me to post since they don't
                >> have internet right now.
                >>
                >> Ian
                >>

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Mike Bennett
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 16, 2006
                  > On Jan 14, 2006, at 8:30 PM, Craig Bouchard wrote:
                  > now an American
                  > has the North American record...grrrrrrrrrrrrr...
                  >
                  > Craig

                  An American had it before. His name was Chris Hardwick.

                  -Mike
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 16, 2006
                    I don't see what's particularly offensive about Americans holding world
                    records. I feel patriotism has little place in the Rubik's Cube
                    community.

                    On Jan 16, 2006, at 1:44 PM, Mike Bennett wrote:

                    >> On Jan 14, 2006, at 8:30 PM, Craig Bouchard wrote:
                    >> now an American
                    >> has the North American record...grrrrrrrrrrrrr...
                    >>
                    >> Craig
                    >
                    > An American had it before. His name was Chris Hardwick.
                    >
                    > -Mike
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • GameOfDeath2
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 16, 2006
                      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Tyson Mao <tmao@i...> wrote:

                      > I don't see what's particularly offensive about Americans holding world
                      > records. I feel patriotism has little place in the Rubik's Cube
                      > community.

                      I think I detect a bit of not-so-subtle USA/Canada rivalry (assuming the original poster
                      was Canadian - I guess Central America is also part of North America) in which case it
                      could be just like the English and the Scottish (or English and Welsh etc .) rivalries and so
                      forth and not too serious. Probably it wasn't meant seriously. "grrrrrrrrrrrrr..." is obviously
                      overdone.

                      You're right, in my opinion, about patriotism having little (if any) place in the Rubik's Cube
                      community. In fact, patriotism, by its very nature, excludes more people than it includes
                      (no nation having 50%+ of the population).

                      > Tyson Mao
                      > MSC #631
                      > California Institute of Technology
                      >
                      > On Jan 16, 2006, at 1:44 PM, Mike Bennett wrote:
                      >
                      > >> On Jan 14, 2006, at 8:30 PM, Craig Bouchard wrote:
                      > >> now an American
                      > >> has the North American record...grrrrrrrrrrrrr...
                      > >>
                      > >> Craig
                      > >
                      > > An American had it before. His name was Chris Hardwick.
                      > >
                      > > -Mike
                      > >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Craig Bouchard
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 16, 2006
                        Because Matt Walter (a Canadian) held the record b4...and (i hate to
                        say it, and i'm really not 100% serious at all...) Canada is better
                        than the states :p Nah, patriotism has nothing to do with it...I think
                        Leyan rocks, and is crazy good...And hey, North America can unite
                        against the world :p (j/k)

                        Craig

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 16, 2006
                          The excuse of 'joking' will only bail you out of a finite number of
                          situations.

                          On Jan 16, 2006, at 4:42 PM, Craig Bouchard wrote:

                          > Because Matt Walter (a Canadian) held the record b4...and (i hate to
                          > say it, and i'm really not 100% serious at all...) Canada is better
                          > than the states :p Nah, patriotism has nothing to do with it...I think
                          > Leyan rocks, and is crazy good...And hey, North America can unite
                          > against the world :p (j/k)
                          >
                          > Craig
                          >
                          > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Tyson Mao <tmao@i...>
                          > wrote:
                          >>
                          >> What are you saying? Why do you care?
                          >>
                          >> Tyson Mao
                          >> MSC #631
                          >> California Institute of Technology
                          >>
                          >> On Jan 14, 2006, at 8:30 PM, Craig Bouchard wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> ...My 2 cents...
                          >>>
                          >>> Betting it was lucky :p sorry Leyan if it wasn't...but...Leyan's
                          >>> previous best was set a few days ago using Tyson's cube with a time
                          >>> of
                          >>> 11.97...so he either got a new PB, or it was lucky...now an American
                          >>> has the North American record...grrrrrrrrrrrrr...
                          >>>
                          >>> Craig
                          >>>

                          >>> --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <iwinoky@y...>

                          > don't

                          >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • GameOfDeath2
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 17, 2006
                            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Tyson Mao <tmao@i...> wrote:

                            > The excuse of 'joking' will only bail you out of a finite number of
                            > situations.
                            >
                            > Tyson Mao
                            > MSC #631
                            > California Institute of Technology

                            Out of curiosity does that mean you're saying he's lying. That's what it sounds like, but I
                            could be wrong.