Megaminx question

  • cybermesh0 <christopher.moyergrice@hough
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 5, 2003
      Hey all-
      I have a solving question about the megaminx. I can solve one
      unassisted pretty easily, but there's one setup that I can't fix.
      Any help would be appreciated.

      This happens when I have most of the minx already solved. When I am
      orienting the last 5 edges, it sometimes ends up that two of the
      edges are switched(e.g. the top face is blue, the left face is
      yellow and the right one is dark orange. The yellow/orange edge is
      oriented correctly. The blue/yellow edge is where the blue/orange
      edge should be, and the blue/orange edge is where the blue/yellow
      edge should be. Both are oriented correctly otherwise. All other
      edges are correctly placed). I've tried everything that I can think
      of but I can't get these two switched back around without remixing
      the minx and restarting from an earlier stage.

      Thanks in advance.
      -Chris
    • Grant Tregay <Grant@Tregay.net>
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 5, 2003
        It sounds like you have a 6 color megaminx! This is the parity
        problem. Essentially what you have to do to fix it is "swap" on of
        the last face edges with it's duplicate. Actually what you're doing
        is rotating 2 LL edges and one on the oppositite face, which fixes
        your parity problem.

        I supplied an 18 move algorithm to fix this very problem a while
        ago. I'll refer you to message 1707 at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/speedsolvingrubikscube/message/1707 .
        I hope that helps.

        --- "cybermesh0" wrote:
        > ... megaminx ... there's one setup that I can't fix. Any help would
        > be appreciated.
        >
        > This happens when I have most of the minx already solved. When I am
        > orienting the last 5 edges, it sometimes ends up that two of the
        > edges are switched ....
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        > -Chris
      • redkbrandon
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 6, 2003
          I just was given a Megaminx for Christmas. After not messing it up
          for some time for fear of never solving it I finally gave it a spin.
          I was very excited to be able to solve almost the entire puzzle using
          a layer-by-layer method. Then, because I solve corners first for the
          3x3 I didn't know any last layer algs for the 3x3 to use on the
          megaminx. I could however come up with an alg to place the corners
          in the right spot, and another to twist them. So now all that are
          left are the edges. So I was wondering if anyone has any algs that
          moves the last layer edges and another that flips them, without
          messing with the corners. If not I was wondering if anyone had some
          algs that did the edges and then some that do the corners.

          Thanks in advance,
          -Kenneth

          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Grant Tregay

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 6, 2003
            I'm having a little difficulty trying to use it correctly, but I
            definitely understand what's going on. I'm sure I'll figure it out.
            Thanks a lot!

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 6, 2003
              I personally would recommend doing edges (orient then permute) and
              then corners (orient then permute), but there are algs to do what
              you're looking for. For example, I found these at
              http://web.idirect.com/~cubeman/megaminx.txt :

              3 cycle of edges (uf, lf, rf)
              R+ F+ U+ F- U- R- L- U- F- U+ F+ L+

              2 edge flip
              L-- R++ F+ U- R+ U+ L++ R++ U+
              R-- L-- U- R- U+ F- R-- L++ U-

              2 edge flip
              R- F- U+ L- U- L+ F+ R+
              L+ F+ U- R+ U+ R- F- L-

              + is one "click" clockwise
              - is one counterclockwise
              ++ and -- are two clicks, in their respective directions.

              I do the LL in order of OE, PE, OC, PC, so I don't actually use the
              algs above. For the two edge flip algs above, I don't actually know
              which edges it flips.
              For OE, I use (with the LL on U):
              F+ U+ R+ U- R- F- (flips adjacent edges UF and UR)
              F+ R+ U+ R- U- F- (flips opposite edges UF and UB - with B
              adjacent to R)
              L+ F+ R+ U+ R- U+ F- U-- L- (flips all but UB, with B adjacent to L)

              For PE, I use:
              R+ U+ R- U+ R+ U-- R- (3 edge cycle counter clockwise)
              R+ U++ R- U- R+ U- R- (3 edge cycle clockwise)
              R+ U+ R- U+ R+ U- R- U+ R+ U++ R- (swaps two pairs)

              I'm not even going to go into the corner algs I use... There are two
              many, and I don't know of a good way to put them into notation. Some
              cube algs can be applied for the OC and PC steps, as long as they
              don't affect edges at all. Some day, I'll come up with some
              notation, and put a section on my website... Hope this helps. Also,
              if you look back for it, I did post some PC algs a while ago in this
              group.

              --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, redkbrandon wrote:
              > I just was given a Megaminx for Christmas. ... So now all that are
              > left are the edges. So I was wondering if anyone has any algs that
              > moves the last layer edges and another that flips them, without
              > messing with the corners.
            • redkbrandon
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 13, 2003
                Here is a question for the Megaminx masters out there:

                My Megaminx has 6 colors. Two of my edge pieces are missing
                stickers; one orange, and one yellow. So if I always started solving
                the same color (say yellow) and made sure that I always started on
                the same yellow . . .could I avoid the parity problem, because I have
                two of the edges marked?

                Thanks,
                -Kenneth
              • GameOfDeath2
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 13, 2003
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > Here is a question for the Megaminx masters out there:
                  >
                  > My Megaminx has 6 colors. Two of my edge pieces are missing
                  > stickers; one orange, and one yellow. So if I always started
                  solving
                  > the same color (say yellow) and made sure that I always started on
                  > the same yellow . . .could I avoid the parity problem, because I
                  have
                  > two of the edges marked?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > -Kenneth

                  No. The action of the Megaminx on its edges is 28-transitive, so
                  what you ask is not sufficient.
                • cybermesh0 <christopher.moyergrice@hough
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 13, 2003
                    --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, GameOfDeath2
                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, redkbrandon
                    > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > > Here is a question for the Megaminx masters out there:
                    > >
                    > > My Megaminx has 6 colors. Two of my edge pieces are missing
                    > > stickers; one orange, and one yellow. So if I always started
                    > solving
                    > > the same color (say yellow) and made sure that I always started
                    on
                    > > the same yellow . . .could I avoid the parity problem, because I
                    > have
                    > > two of the edges marked?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > -Kenneth
                    >
                    > No. The action of the Megaminx on its edges is 28-transitive, so
                    > what you ask is not sufficient.

                    In other words, you can still encounter a parity problem, but more
                    than likely it will not involve either of those two edges.
                  • GameOfDeath2
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 13, 2003
                      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "cybermesh0
                      <christopher.moyergrice@h...>" <christopher.moyergrice@h...> wrote:
                      > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, GameOfDeath2
                      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, redkbrandon
                      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > > > Here is a question for the Megaminx masters out there:
                      > > >
                      > > > My Megaminx has 6 colors. Two of my edge pieces are missing
                      > > > stickers; one orange, and one yellow. So if I always started
                      > > solving
                      > > > the same color (say yellow) and made sure that I always
                      started
                      > on
                      > > > the same yellow . . .could I avoid the parity problem, because
                      > > have
                      > > > two of the edges marked?
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks,
                      > > > -Kenneth
                      > >
                      > > No. The action of the Megaminx on its edges is 28-transitive, so
                      > > what you ask is not sufficient.
                      >
                      > In other words, you can still encounter a parity problem, but more
                      > than likely it will not involve either of those two edges.

                      No - because the problem is not associated to any two edges in
                      particular.
                    • Chris Moyer-Grice <christopher.moyergric
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 28, 2003
                        Has anyone else successfully lubed a Mefferts Megaminx? I would
                        assume it works, I'm just checking :)

                        -Chris
                      • GameOfDeath2
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 1, 2003
                          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Moyer-Grice
                          <christopher.moyergrice@h...>" <christopher.moyergrice@h...> wrote:
                          > Has anyone else successfully lubed a Mefferts Megaminx? I would
                          > assume it works, I'm just checking :)
                          >
                          > -Chris

                          Yes and it does. It's a lot smoother. Still no high speed moves
                          though.
                        • Grant Tregay <Grant@Tregay.net>
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 2, 2003

                            --- GameOfDeath2 wrote:
                            > Yes and it does. It's a lot smoother. Still no high speed moves
                            > though.

                            I'm sure this depends on how much your puzzle has been used (and
                            therefore how loose it is), but I can perform triggers on my megaminx
                            after having lubed it. It's definately not as quick as a cube,
                            though. My megaminx is a couple years old now, and "well-loved" -
                            it's the old 12-color, tiled Mefferts version.
                          • Chris Moyer-Grice <christopher.moyergric
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 2, 2003
                              <Grant@T...>" <Grant@T...> wrote:
                              > > --- Chris Moyer-Grice wrote:
                              > > Has anyone else successfully lubed a Mefferts Megaminx? I would
                              > > assume it works, I'm just checking :)
                              >
                              > --- GameOfDeath2 wrote:
                              > > Yes and it does. It's a lot smoother. Still no high speed moves
                              > > though.
                              >
                              > I'm sure this depends on how much your puzzle has been used (and
                              > therefore how loose it is), but I can perform triggers on my
                              megaminx
                              > after having lubed it. It's definately not as quick as a cube,
                              > though. My megaminx is a couple years old now, and "well-loved" -
                              > it's the old 12-color, tiled Mefferts version.

                              Thanks- I've had it since christmas and it's pretty used, but not
                              really loose. It moved really quick after lubing- almost faster than
                              the cube I have that I just lubed on the same day. :)
                            • cubacca1972
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 2, 2003
                                > --- GameOfDeath2 wrote:
                                My megaminx is a couple years old now, and "well-loved" -
                                > it's the old 12-color, tiled Mefferts version.

                                What was the color scheme on the 12 color tiled megaminx? I just
                                ordered a megaminx and a set of tiles, and am wondering if there is
                                an official color scheme.

                                Lucas
                              • Grant Tregay <Grant@Tregay.net>
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 2, 2003
                                  --- cubacca1972 wrote:
                                  > What was the color scheme on the 12 color tiled megaminx? I just
                                  > ordered a megaminx and a set of tiles, and am wondering if there is
                                  > an official color scheme.

                                  I don't know about it being an official color scheme, but it's like
                                  this:
                                  Northern hemisphere = dark colors
                                  - dark green (U face)
                                  clockwise around U face:
                                  - dark blue
                                  - red
                                  - brown
                                  - dark pink
                                  - purple

                                  Southern hemisphere = light colors
                                  - light green (D face - opposite dark green)
                                  clockwise around D face
                                  - light blue (opposite dark blue)
                                  - white
                                  - yellow