5x5x5 modifications :-)

  • Per Kristen Fredlund
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
      I have sent some recommendations for improving the 5x5x5 cube to
      Seventowns. I am now in a dialogue with Steve Perrin, Director of
      Design and Production at Seventowns. What i have suggested is to
      modify the wings of the outer edges to make the edge-centers glide
      over them much more easily. According to Grant Tregay this fix will
      make the turning of inner layers a whole lot better and still leave
      the cube fairly tight. Anyway, i have tried his modified cube and i
      must say it was really awesome. A tight cube eliminates many other
      problems, like popping and rotation of the corner centers. I have also
      suggested using machine screws and not centers. And i have mentioned
      the appalling stickers too.

      We will see what comes out of this. I made a diagram (picture) in
      order to show him what the problem is and where to modify the outer
      edges. If anyone wants to see this drop me a private mail and i will
      send it. On popular request i can post it in the photo section also ;-)

      Cheers!

      -Per
    • Sapan Upadhyay
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
        popular request.
        popular request.
        popular request.
        popular request.
        popular request.
        popular request.
        popular request.

        :)

        On 12/1/05, Per Kristen Fredlund <aspiring_to_love@...> wrote:
        > I have sent some recommendations for improving the 5x5x5 cube to
        > Seventowns. I am now in a dialogue with Steve Perrin, Director of
        > Design and Production at Seventowns. What i have suggested is to
        > modify the wings of the outer edges to make the edge-centers glide
        > over them much more easily. According to Grant Tregay this fix will
        > make the turning of inner layers a whole lot better and still leave
        > the cube fairly tight. Anyway, i have tried his modified cube and i
        > must say it was really awesome. A tight cube eliminates many other
        > problems, like popping and rotation of the corner centers. I have also
        > suggested using machine screws and not centers. And i have mentioned
        > the appalling stickers too.
        >
        > We will see what comes out of this. I made a diagram (picture) in
        > order to show him what the problem is and where to modify the outer
        > edges. If anyone wants to see this drop me a private mail and i will
        > send it. On popular request i can post it in the photo section also ;-)
        >
        > Cheers!
        >
        > -Per

        -cubekid
      • Per Kristen Fredlund
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
          Haha ... i see that the file section is as good as full so i will
          provide a link to it instead :

          http://vakt.idi.ntnu.no/Outer_edge_555_fit.jpg

          Enjoy!

          -Per

        • Sapan Upadhyay
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
            wow.. i actually never thought of that... i hope they change it for good

            -cubekid