Re: [Speed cubing group] Blindfold solving

  • Pedro
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2005
      So, where are your systems? I'm really interested on accelerating my CO...

      Pedro

      GameOfDeath2 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> escreveu:
      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Pedro <pedrosino1@y...> wrote:

      > What??!! Solving corner orientations in 1 alg?? Is that posible?
      >
      > Pedro

      Yes. Using symmetries you can reduce corner orientation to 66 non-isomorphic
      algorithms - or less with inversions. If you use set-ups (conjugation) you can take that
      down, although you'll have to think the conjugation up on the fly, ensure it is correct and
      probably lose time on both of those.
      You can use 76 non-isomorphic algorithms (without set up moves) to solve the edge
      orientations (or, of course, 6 if you use set up moves).

      I taught Dave to blindfold cube on the chat here and I sent him a lot of algorithms. I'm not
      sure what Dave uses now and I can only speculate, but he learned a lot of my intermediate
      system and he used more of it than most people - in particular, he might have learned all
      the corner orientation moves from my "intermediate" system which does corner orientation
      in one algorithm and also edge orientation in one algorithm.

      I know that he had learned a lot of moves from the middle stages. I'd told him that I
      believed that this sort of time (well under 2 minutes) was possible with that system and he
      learned an impressive amount of it.
      I sent him some specific permutation moves too, bespoke to his situation, that were in my
      advanced system but not my intermediate one but not too many of those. I guess he
      probably uses a lot of other moves too from other sources or of his own.
      Alternatively, I guess he might have switched to a completely different method like a cycle
      method.

      Of course, you can use one of 94,518 non-isomorphic algorithms to do both corner and
      edge orientations in one go...

      > Tyson Mao <tmao@i...> escreveu:
      > Just like... solving corner orientations in like... 1 algorithm or
      > something. I'm not sure.
      >
      > Tyson Mao
      > MSC #631
      > California Institute of Technology
      >
      > On Nov 1, 2005, at 12:50 PM, Pedro wrote:
      >
      > > What kind of advanced thing do Dave Orser do? Man, solving a cube
      > > blindfolded in less than 1:30 is really incredible! Sometimes I *just
      > > memorise* the cube in 1:10 or 1:20...I really want to know how to get
      > > faster...
      > >
      > > Pedro
      > >
      > > Tyson Mao <tmao@i...> escreveu:
      > > Hi Jeff,
      > >
      > > I think my method for solving the 3x3x3 cube is exactly the same as
      > > most people out there. Uh, just 3-cycles. I orient the corners,
      > > orient the edges, permute the corners, permute the edges. I use the
      > > same method as Macky and Leyan. I don't really do anything advanced
      > > like Dave Orser or anything special. I have a very limited set of
      > > algorithms.
      > >
      > > My fast times are due to my memorization time which I can sometimes do
      > > under 40 seconds and also the smoothness of executing the algorithms.
      > > If the memorization is solid, then I don't ever have to sit and "think"
      > > about what the next set of moves are.
      > >
      > > Tyson Mao
      > > MSC #631
      > > California Institute of Technology
      > >
      > > On Nov 1, 2005, at 9:59 AM, Jeff Soesbe wrote:
      > >
      > >> Tyson --
      > >>
      > >> Out of curiousity, what "method" do you use? I'm sure part of your
      > >> times is due to your fast times in 3x, but any special "speed" aspects
      > >> to your method (if you want to share)?
      > >>
      > >> Since you are the current world record holder and one of the top
      > >> blindfolders, I'm sure many would be interested in your approach.
      > >>
      > >> Thanks!
      > >>
      > >> yeff
      > >>
      > >> --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Tyson Mao <tmao@i...>

      > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      > > Jigsaw puzzle game Free puzzle inlay games Educational game and puzzle
      > > Word puzzle game Kid puzzle game Puzzle games

      > > Service.
      > >

      > > ---------------------------------

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • GameOfDeath2
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
        wrote:

        > So, where are your systems? I'm really interested on accelerating my
        CO...

        > Pedro

        Check message 17059. Please remember not to overload the maths server
        though.